More bad info in magazine article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More bad info in magazine article

On page 39 of Hemmings Classic Car Patrick Foster's article features performance vehicles by Studebaker and AMC. He extolls the performance of the Golden Hawk and goes on to say that in 1956 and 1957 they came equipped with the huge Packard engine, not.only 1956 For 1959, he goes on to say, the Hawk could be had with 275 hp version of the 289 V-8.wrong. What happened to 1958 Golden Hawks? Seriously the more I reread his writing the more I think he just did not proofread his article. Save for this error it is a well written article otherwise and goes on to talk about all the speedrecords the R-2 cars set and how the Golden Hawk could nail most other cars to the wall.Hemmings has done a good job of covering the independents,my main reason for subscribing. Should be at your newsstand in a couple of weeks.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Patric Foster doesn't usually get things wrong like that. Although he is an AMC expert, he usually gets Studebaker facts right also.

All we need is more misguided facts about Golden Hawks!

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Patric Foster doesn't usually get things wrong like that. Although he is an AMC expert, he usually gets Studebaker facts right also.

All we need is more misguided facts about Golden Hawks!

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

The many factual errors in the various Hemmings publications, not just Studebaker errors, is what has caused me to let lapse all of my Hemmings subscriptions. I tried writng corrections to them and got mostly BS and smart ass answers. I like that they are covering Studebakers, and other independents, but with many factual errors it is almost better that they not cover them.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The many factual errors in the various Hemmings publications, not just Studebaker errors, is what has caused me to let lapse all of my Hemmings subscriptions. I tried writng corrections to them and got mostly BS and smart ass answers. I like that they are covering Studebakers, and other independents, but with many factual errors it is almost better that they not cover them.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It would seem to me Gary that if a person wrote to them with corrections to be printed in the "letters from our readers" column they would tend to print them or would they rather not you suppose, fearing the fact that they would then have egg on their face.These are fairly well known facts they are printing here, that is why I can't figure out how they can make mistakes like that.The article in question also wrote extensively about AMC high performance but I can't vouch for its accuracy as I am not up to snuff on that subject.

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

It would seem to me Gary that if a person wrote to them with corrections to be printed in the "letters from our readers" column they would tend to print them or would they rather not you suppose, fearing the fact that they would then have egg on their face.These are fairly well known facts they are printing here, that is why I can't figure out how they can make mistakes like that.The article in question also wrote extensively about AMC high performance but I can't vouch for its accuracy as I am not up to snuff on that subject.

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Concur with Frank. Once upon a time, the only way to obtain data on old cars was to buy a book on that make or go to the library. But in this era of the Internet, the kinds of facts we are talking about here can be verified in a few minutes from one's own desk. Even if the author had never heard of SDC, he could have entered "Studebaker" into Google or Wikipedia and gotten correct info. There's really no excuse these days for lousy scholarship.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Concur with Frank. Once upon a time, the only way to obtain data on old cars was to buy a book on that make or go to the library. But in this era of the Internet, the kinds of facts we are talking about here can be verified in a few minutes from one's own desk. Even if the author had never heard of SDC, he could have entered "Studebaker" into Google or Wikipedia and gotten correct info. There's really no excuse these days for lousy scholarship.

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie
                    But in this era of the Internet, the kinds of facts we are talking about here can be verified in a few minutes from one's own desk. Even if the author had never heard of SDC, he could have entered "Studebaker" into Google or Wikipedia and gotten correct info. There's really no excuse these days for lousy scholarship.
                    Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    Normally, I would agree with you Skip. The problem there is so much bad info on the net, even if the search is for Studebaker stuff. Hard to sort through it - especially with a deadline looming.

Chris Pile
                    The Studebaker Special
                    Midway Chapter SDC
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

But in this era of the Internet, the kinds of facts we are talking about here can be verified in a few minutes from one's own desk. Even if the author had never heard of SDC, he could have entered "Studebaker" into Google or Wikipedia and gotten correct info. There's really no excuse these days for lousy scholarship.
                      Skip Lackie
                      Washington DC
                      Normally, I would agree with you Skip. The problem there is so much bad info on the net, even if the search is for Studebaker stuff. Hard to sort through it - especially with a deadline looming.

Chris Pile
                      The Studebaker Special
                      Midway Chapter SDC
                      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC

Chris Pile
                        The Studebaker Special
                        Midway Chapter SDC
                        Certainly there is a lot of bad info on the Web, but this was not a slide show on automotive history for the local Boy Scout troop. He got PAID for this article. Proper research is a necessary and appropriate part of writing history. There are plenty of authoritive sources of info on the Web -- if you can't tell the good ones from the bad ones, then you ought to choose another line of work. Or he could just shell out a few bucks and buy a history of Studebaker or a compendium of automotive specifications. They're often advertised right there in Hemmings!

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC

Chris Pile
                          The Studebaker Special
                          Midway Chapter SDC
                          Certainly there is a lot of bad info on the Web, but this was not a slide show on automotive history for the local Boy Scout troop. He got PAID for this article. Proper research is a necessary and appropriate part of writing history. There are plenty of authoritive sources of info on the Web -- if you can't tell the good ones from the bad ones, then you ought to choose another line of work. Or he could just shell out a few bucks and buy a history of Studebaker or a compendium of automotive specifications. They're often advertised right there in Hemmings!

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

I have to agree with Skip, there are plenty of good sources out there.After all, this guy is a professional writer, this is what he does and has been doing for years.He was not writing about some obscure make of car here, that's why this was so perplexing to me.From now on I will always wonder if what I'm reading that is written by this author is credible information.
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

I have to agree with Skip, there are plenty of good sources out there.After all, this guy is a professional writer, this is what he does and has been doing for years.He was not writing about some obscure make of car here, that's why this was so perplexing to me.From now on I will always wonder if what I'm reading that is written by this author is credible information.
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X