Finally started on my Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    It looks like you've got a pre-war Champion, one of my favorite cars. 41Frank on the forum has a very nice one with a Studebaker V-8 and there are others.

I've been picking his brain on front suspension. We have shared a few e-mails thanks

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
    What do you do to wire up a Studebaker with a newer drive train? I've got a Buick V6 & turbo 350 than I should put to good use but wiring is not my strong suit.

Jeff T.
    Well my car was pretty much gutted when I got it so I will be putting a new harness from Rebel Wiring in it. I used them on my t-bucket and my wife's convertible beetle and was very happy with them. As for engine managment I kept all the harness and computer from the donor car so I will intergrate the two.

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    raidmagic, Thanks for the compliment. If I can provide any info on the LS1 conversion let me know. A lot has changed since I did mine and there is a lot more stuff in the aftermarket now that makes swaps easier.

Jeff, The simplest solution, and likely the cheapest in the long run is to buy a harness and fuse box set up from a vendor like Ron Francis, EZ Wiring or Painless. All the wires come labeled every few inches and they have done the bulk of the engineering for you. All you have to do is find a place to anchor the fuse block, route the wires and terminate the ends with appropriate hardware. It can be tedious, but not rocket science and they all have tech support if you find yourself scratching your head.

Pat
    Pat I did an ls swap on my Vette before they were super popular so I learned alot about it then. They are certainly supported far better in the aftermarket now. I like what you did with your headers. I'm thinking of using some ls7 manifolds. I'm certian i will have questions for you.

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
    raidmagic, share what ya have, where it is, and where you are going with it, we'd love to see it!

I built mine so many years ago that the options available today were not yet reality.

It has been on the road for over 12 years now. If something breaks, I'll update the driveline... until then, I'll just drive the silly thing! <G>

(See sig line for what was done, way back when.)
    I will keep this thread updated as I go along. I get bad about taking pics when I get busy but I will do my best.

Comment

Originally posted by raidmagic View Post
      Pat that is just stunning!!!! I just spent some time reading through your build. If mine comes out half that nice I'll be happy.
      I agree, beautiful job.

I read the whole thing from start to finish. What impressed me the most is that you weren't trying to hurry things. The engine start-up for instance. So many folks want to take shortcuts and hear that engine growl. They don't take two steps forward and one back, like you said you did, they take one forward and two back. Sometimes they get so frustrated, or waste so much money, that they lose interest and then the car gets sold as a basket case.

The wire rail covers were a nice touch. It always grates on my nerves a little bit to look under the hood of a classic, even a restorod, and see a different brand name from the car displayed. I don't mind when it's a brand name like Edelbrock for instance but seeing the name Chevrolet or Ford under the hood of a Packard or Stude makes my hair hurt.

Nice attention to detail.

Mike O'Handley
      Kenmore, Washington
      hausdok@msn.com
      Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
      Kenmore, Washington
      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
      '69 Pontiac Firebird
      (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Thanks Mike, I tend to agree on the monikers for motors. I feel my car is first and foremost a Studebaker even though it is extensively modified and has parts from many different cars. I appreciate you kind remarks.

Pat
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

raidmagic, Thanks for the compliment. If I can provide any info on the LS1 conversion let me know. A lot has changed since I did mine and there is a lot more stuff in the aftermarket now that makes swaps easier.

Jeff, The simplest solution, and likely the cheapest in the long run is to buy a harness and fuse box set up from a vendor like Ron Francis, EZ Wiring or Painless. All the wires come labeled every few inches and they have done the bulk of the engineering for you. All you have to do is find a place to anchor the fuse block, route the wires and terminate the ends with appropriate hardware. It can be tedious, but not rocket science and they all have tech support if you find yourself scratching your head.

Don't forget "Autowire"! it is a nice kit.
          Welcome to the Forum
          Good Roads
          Brian

Pat
          Got this a little out of order??
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Looking forward to following your build. I have an LS1 from a TransAm with 4L60E in my 53. There is a link to my build log in my signature if you are interested. Mine has been on the road for over 5 years now and I am very satisfied with the result. It's a great cruiser with plenty of pop, and gets good gas mileage to boot.

Pat
            Pat- what kind of mileage do you get with that set up?
            Just wondering as I recently helped a friend rebuild the Ls engine in his 2005 chevy 4wd PU. All aluminum block and heads, stock spec build. We just averaged 11.5mph hauling an xke on a very light trailer to it's owner in south Fl. Last week I averaged 14.0 hauling a heavier 55 stude coupe on the same trailer using my 98 4runner with 3.4 v-6.
            Very surprised----
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Mike O' and Pat D,
              I think that is funny you both feel that way about engine monikers. I feel the exact opposite.
              I feel like those fake Stude or fake Packard valve covers that fit on sbc are kind of lame. PLEASE do not think that I am picking on either of you. I love that people feel different about things otherwise we would all drive silver or beige toyota camrys.

But my feelings on it is that if you make a choice to change out your cars brand of motor to a different one like a sbc, then you should OWN it. It is fine if that is what a person wants to do. I totally get wanting a nice crate LS motor with modern efi in a cool old car with a 4L60E trans. GREAT daily driver. You could even commute in it at that point. BUT OWN THAT. Dont try to fool me that your LS or sbc is a Stude motor.
              I dont have a problem with not having badges on it at all. Like running plain finned VCs or stamped chrome Moroso/Edelbrock etc...

But as I stated, this is just MY dumb opinion. It is not worth a hill of beans.
              Last edited by kmac530; 11-24-2011, 04:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

KDancy, if I drive 65 with the cruise control on I have gotten above 27 mpg. I have a 2001 2WD Silverado with a 5.3 motor, truck version in the LS family. I have towed a 3500 pound boat with it quite a it and if I keep my speed to 60 or so I would consistently get 15 mpg on flat ground.

kmac I don't think my Studebaker fuel rail covers fool anyone into thinking it is a Stude motor, and that was never my intent. Most folks think it is a Corvette motor or ask me what it is if they have not read my display sign. I have some Corvette covers and I have gotten many more positive comments on the ones with Studebaker on them. I think people realize that they are a custom, one of a kind piece and not something you can buy off the shelf.

Pat
                Last edited by Pat Dilling; 11-24-2011, 06:24 PM.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                  ... I love that people feel different about things otherwise we would all drive silver or beige toyota camrys...
                  I resemble that remark!

'92 Silver Camry 4 door as a daily driver!

I'm thinking of cutting the body off, and replacing with an old rusty Stude body!

Comment

Hey guys I didn't forget about you or my car. In January of this year I had an ongoing issue with my wrist diagnosed and went into a cast on Jan. 9. On Feb 16 the cast came off and I went into surgery. After that another cast a few months then physical therapy I finally got out of all my casts an back to a somewhat normal life in late June. It's been 8 months since my surgery and I'm about 60-70 %. It seems like it's taking forever. Anyway the car got put away while I couldn't do anything and in the meantime I sold my T-bucket and bought this Hudson. It's a pretty nice car that doesn't need much so now that I'm able to get out in the shop and be somewhat productive I'm going to get the car back out and get back at it.
                    The positive is the last MRI I had showed the bones are healing the way they want the too so hopefully there will be a full recovery and in a year or so I'll have forgotten about all of this. I turn 40 in a few weeks so maybe it's just part of getting old.

Anyway here's the Hudson and hopefully I'll have some updates on the Studebaker soon.

Comment

Congratulations on your lovely Hudson, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Wishing the best on your continued recovery. Really like the Hudson, I have always thought they were one of the most custom looking factory vehicles ever made.

Pat
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Working...
                        X