X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Candy 11/22/11: 55 Commander coupe

'09 Crossroads ZM yet again...

S.

You know, the 55 C & K types are finally starting to grow on me. I still prefer the 53/54 grilles but the non-finned bodies are beautiful in my eyes.
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Comment

Like most, I too prefer the original Bourke front end. Never met anyone who didn't love that design. Until recently. A Lincoln guy who likes Studes and is actively hunting for a '51 Commander convertible told me yesterday that he only likes the C-Ks from the point ('56) where the squared-off grille replaced the Bourke nose. He actually doesn't like the '53-4 front! And his favourite of the whole series is Brooks Stevens' Gran Turismo. (That, at least, isn't too surprising given that he's a Lincoln guy and the GT does look like a downsized '61 Continental from some angles. And given that GTs are a lot easier to find than '51 Commander droptops, I won't be surprised if he someday acquires one of them.)

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
        Like most, I too prefer the original Bourke front end. Never met anyone who didn't love that design. Until recently. A Lincoln guy who likes Studes and is actively hunting for a '51 Commander convertible told me yesterday that he only likes the C-Ks from the point ('56) where the squared-off grille replaced the Bourke nose. He actually doesn't like the '53-4 front! And his favourite of the whole series is Brooks Stevens' Gran Turismo. (That, at least, isn't too surprising given that he's a Lincoln guy and the GT does look like a downsized '61 Continental from some angles. And given that GTs are a lot easier to find than '51 Commander droptops, I won't be surprised if he someday acquires one of them.)
        Amazing. Are you sure it wasn't me?<GG>

Actually, it's not that I don't like the 53-4 front, but like your friend I don't love it. I much prefer the '55. And the GT is my favorite Hawk, by far. And, I'm a Lincoln guy! Although I don't see the similarity between the GT and any Lincoln, but the roof sure says 'T-Bird' to me.

Oh, but I'm not actively searching for anything, including a '51. So maybe it's not me
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Wouldn't mind finding a nice Champ w/od.. Same trim level. Solid color. I like the 55s.
          Klif
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

No simularity?

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            Amazing./Cut/Although I don't see the similarity between the GT and any Lincoln, but the roof sure says 'T-Bird' to me./Cut/
            Have you got some Blinders on Bob? Lol! You cannot see the full length fender top Mouldings that integrate into the Tail lights and dip up at the rear fenders just like the Lincoln?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
            X