• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New 56 Studebaker 11-22-1955

http://www.archive.org/details/dmbb08708
    Bosley from Happy Days
    http://www.archive.org/details/dmbb08707
    Last edited by Carl Purdy; 11-22-2011, 09:15 AM.

Thanks Carl! Now I want another '56!!

Comment

Neat. Tom Bosley showed off another Studebaker years later during the run of "Happy Days"...Mr Cunningham replaced his longserving DeSoto with an early-model Lark 4dr in bright orange...

S.

Comment

It says see it Nov. 22nd. Thats today!
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
          It says see it Nov. 22nd. Thats today!
          I've been riding around Atlanta all day long trying to find my local Studebaker Dealer. I want one of those new Presidents!

Comment

Watching that President wheel around on that turntable, my first thought was that some "Matthew" we'll never know spent a few hours putting the gleam on those side mouldings. Of course, it might've been Dale, now that I think about it. I'm guessing Dale was in his early twenties in 1955. <G>
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It was intresting that Studebaker announced that their new car was in the "Low price field." From what I've read they sold at Oldsmobile prices and Management viewed OLds has their Benchmark.
              Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                Watching that President wheel around on that turntable, my first thought was that some "Matthew" we'll never know spent a few hours putting the gleam on those side mouldings. Of course, it might've been Dale, now that I think about it. I'm guessing Dale was in his early twenties in 1955. <G>
                You might not be far off, Bob. IIRC, Dale is two years younger than Ted Harbit, and Ted was born in 1935. That would put Dale at age 18 +/- in 1955. (And thanks for reminder that I need to get up to see Dale and tender a report, too.) BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have sold several of these on Ebay. Shown is the front cover at top and the inside (page 3) at the bottom. The card is hinged at the top.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by stall View Post
                    It was intresting that Studebaker announced that their new car was in the "Low Price Field."

From what I've read they sold at Oldsmobile prices and Management viewed OLds has their Benchmark.
                    Right, Stall.

Here are some comparative MSRPs for the cars listed, all 4-door sedans. Listed in order of ascending price:

1956 Studebaker Commander DeLuxe: $2,125
                    (mid-line Studebaker, above, versus high-line Chevy & Ford, below):

1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air V8: $2,167
                    1956 Ford Fairlane V8: $2,194

1956 Oldsmobile 88: $2,226
                    1956 Studebaker President (not Classic): $2,235
                    1956 Pontiac Chieftan 860: $2,294
                    1956 Mercury Medalist: $2,313
                    1956 Dodge Coronet V8: $2,340

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88: $2,363
                    1956 Pontiac Chieftan 870 DeLuxe: $2,409
                    1956 Buick Special: $2,416
                    1956 Studebaker President Classic: $2,489

1956 Packard Clipper DeLuxe: $2,731
                    1956 DeSoto Firedome: $2,805
                    1956 Packard Clipper Super: $2,866

GULP.

(Yes, I double-checked: I, too, was surprised that the cheapest and mid-line Oldsmobiles undercut the cheapest and mid-line Pontiacs. Somebody wasn't paying attention to the established "way things are supposed to be" at GM... <GGG>)

Geeze, no wonder they sold so many Oldsmobiles in 1956: If you were looking at a new Ford Fairlane V8 4-door, you could step up to an Oldsmobile for only $32; barely 2 days' pay if you were making $75 a week. Not bad. BP
                    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-23-2011, 10:53 AM. Reason: added Mercury, Commander, Dodge, DeSoto prices
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Loved the video!
                      Thanks for posting this day in history.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Here are some comparative MSRPs for the cars listed, all 4-door sedans. Listed in order of ascending price:
                        Where did Dodge and DeSoto fit into that picture?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Where did Dodge and DeSoto fit into that picture? Craig
                          I just added the Dodge Coronet V8 and DeSoto Firedome (lowest-priced DeSoto line) to the original list, Craig.

The Dodge price seems in line...but DeSoto....yikes!

Look what was happening to DeSoto: The lowest-price Desoto 4-door sedan in 1956 was more than 25% higher than the lowest-priced 1956 Oldsmobile 4-door sedan! (I double-checked those figures, too, as unbelievable as they are.)

Heck, the DeSoto price is even more than 15% over Buick's price!

It appears DeSoto's grave was being dug by Studebaker grave diggers working the night shift. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            The Dodge price seems in line...but DeSoto....yikes!

Look what was happening to DeSoto: The lowest-price Desoto 4-door sedan in 1956 was more than 25% higher than the lowest-priced 1956 Oldsmobile 4-door sedan! (I double-checked those figures, too, as unbelievable as they are.)

Heck, the DeSoto price is even more than 15% over Buick's price!

It appears DeSoto's grave was being dug by Studebaker grave diggers working the night shift. BP
                            I think Packard in Detroit gave them a few demonstrations of how to do it. What did the Clipper DeLuxe sell for?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              I think Packard in Detroit gave them a few demonstrations of how to do it. What did the Clipper DeLuxe sell for? Craig
                              'Just added those figures to the original post, Craig.

The Clipper Super was sure a bargain at only $135 more than the DeLuxe, in that the Super didn't look cheap! <GGG> BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X