Avanti story on Slate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti story on Slate

In all candor, I agree with most of his comments, early Avanti's are not a great choice for a daily driver.

http://www.slate.com/id/2167797/

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

I say the guys a whiner, John.

He's probably young and totally indoctrinated by the Nor-Cal mindset.

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I say the guys a whiner, John.

He's probably young and totally indoctrinated by the Nor-Cal mindset.

Chris Pile
      The Studebaker Special
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

No experience with that "Nor-Cal mindset", but I do know the sound of a whine when I hear it.

Comment

No experience with that "Nor-Cal mindset", but I do know the sound of a whine when I hear it.

Comment

The first tip-off that this guy is not an appropriate Stude owner, is when he said "My mechanic cobbled together a modern brake upgrade..." Stude owners have mechanics? Maybe its the same guy who fixes his cappucino machine when it goes on the blink!

Las Vegas, NV
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

The first tip-off that this guy is not an appropriate Stude owner, is when he said "My mechanic cobbled together a modern brake upgrade..." Stude owners have mechanics? Maybe its the same guy who fixes his cappucino machine when it goes on the blink!

Las Vegas, NV
              '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Lets see, I've just gotton my Avanti engine back togetehr and after sitting a year and a half it started right up with the gas I left in. I just had to send my wifes Toyota to a mechanic because the check engine light stayed on and I couldn't pinpoint the exact pollution control that went bad. Cost, $545.00.........

At least the Avanti's troubles can be mostly solved by novices, like myself...Plus wasn't the Avanti meant to be more of a sports car, to compete with a Corvette ??? You can't please these yuppies...

Comment

Lets see, I've just gotton my Avanti engine back togetehr and after sitting a year and a half it started right up with the gas I left in. I just had to send my wifes Toyota to a mechanic because the check engine light stayed on and I couldn't pinpoint the exact pollution control that went bad. Cost, $545.00.........

At least the Avanti's troubles can be mostly solved by novices, like myself...Plus wasn't the Avanti meant to be more of a sports car, to compete with a Corvette ??? You can't please these yuppies...

Comment

Sadly, the author's mostly right on... we romanticize these old cars that we love so much, but the reality is they are old cars. The upside is the style, memories, and simplicity of them; downside shows the almost constant need to tune, nurse, babysit, and repair them! Low-tech is simple to understand- at the cost of lesser reliability. I saw a car on eBay for sale this week in which the very honest- and accurate- seller stated, "I bought this car last year because I've always wanted one, not understanding how much care a classic car really needs; so it's time for it to go to someone who has the knowledge, ability, and desire to maintain it like the great classic it is." What a profound statement- I almost bid on the car just because of the seller's honesty! Didn't complain, didn't run the car down- in fact showed how much he loves and respects the car, and his honesty about who he is in relation to the hobby[^]

My 65 Lincoln convertible is one of my dream cars; 35k actual mile, never rusted, always treated like a diva. When I bought it I had dreams of driving it over the winding 2-lane 12-28 road to Lake George with my family, just like we did when I was a kid- in 60s Lincolns (about a 3 1/2 hour trip)... but the reality is, after 3 years I still haven't done so, as I haven't gotten the nerve to risk a vacation on a breakdown of a 42 year old car...[B)]

I've always been aware of this reality; doesn't temper my love for these rolling sculptures we call old cars one bit! But I'll be towing my 47 year old Stude the 600 miles to SB behind my plush, modern, air-conditioned conversion van...[8D]

To those driving a Stude long-distance to SB- good luck, God bless, and I'll pray for your problem-free trip...

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Sadly, the author's mostly right on... we romanticize these old cars that we love so much, but the reality is they are old cars. The upside is the style, memories, and simplicity of them; downside shows the almost constant need to tune, nurse, babysit, and repair them! Low-tech is simple to understand- at the cost of lesser reliability. I saw a car on eBay for sale this week in which the very honest- and accurate- seller stated, "I bought this car last year because I've always wanted one, not understanding how much care a classic car really needs; so it's time for it to go to someone who has the knowledge, ability, and desire to maintain it like the great classic it is." What a profound statement- I almost bid on the car just because of the seller's honesty! Didn't complain, didn't run the car down- in fact showed how much he loves and respects the car, and his honesty about who he is in relation to the hobby[^]

My 65 Lincoln convertible is one of my dream cars; 35k actual mile, never rusted, always treated like a diva. When I bought it I had dreams of driving it over the winding 2-lane 12-28 road to Lake George with my family, just like we did when I was a kid- in 60s Lincolns (about a 3 1/2 hour trip)... but the reality is, after 3 years I still haven't done so, as I haven't gotten the nerve to risk a vacation on a breakdown of a 42 year old car...[B)]

I've always been aware of this reality; doesn't temper my love for these rolling sculptures we call old cars one bit! But I'll be towing my 47 year old Stude the 600 miles to SB behind my plush, modern, air-conditioned conversion van...[8D]

To those driving a Stude long-distance to SB- good luck, God bless, and I'll pray for your problem-free trip...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

The first tip-off that this guy is not an appropriate Stude owner, is when he said "My mechanic cobbled together a modern brake upgrade..." Stude owners have mechanics?
                            So if one hires out any repairs on a Stude, he doesn't deserve to own it? I bet upon reflection you don't really think that way...[:I]
                            I didn't care for the use of the word, "cobbled", but chalked that up to poetic license; but the immediately preceding part of that sentence was right on- "we decided classic cool only goes so far"[^] That's why I converted my 65 Lincoln to dual M/C, and any single-pot old car I have will be converted- I like to do modern upgrades that don't detract from the essence and character of the car.

Interesting discussion- I'm enjoying reading everyone's views on this![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

The first tip-off that this guy is not an appropriate Stude owner, is when he said "My mechanic cobbled together a modern brake upgrade..." Stude owners have mechanics?
                              So if one hires out any repairs on a Stude, he doesn't deserve to own it? I bet upon reflection you don't really think that way...[:I]
                              I didn't care for the use of the word, "cobbled", but chalked that up to poetic license; but the immediately preceding part of that sentence was right on- "we decided classic cool only goes so far"[^] That's why I converted my 65 Lincoln to dual M/C, and any single-pot old car I have will be converted- I like to do modern upgrades that don't detract from the essence and character of the car.

Interesting discussion- I'm enjoying reading everyone's views on this![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X