Block casting numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block casting numbers?

how often did they change the block casting number? or would all the full flow blocks have the same casting number?
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

I was under the impression they were changed daily...you can decode the casting number to tell when your block was cast....I know the 64 engine I have sitting on my garage floor was cast on my 15th birthday !
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The casting number is the part number for a particular casting and only gets changed when there is a sufficient difference in the casting to differentiate the new part from the previous one. The casting number for the full flow V8 block is 1554641. On some of these blocks, the 1 appeared above the first 5. There is also another number in addition to the casting (part) number. These numbers, 1 thru 4, identify the particular set of pattern equipment use to form the mold into which the iron was poured. I don't remember how many casting numbers there are from beginning to end for the V8 blocks. I started a list to identify the changes but have gotten sidetracked. The casting date code denoted the day, month and year the casting was poured. It is used to keep track of a run of castings in case of problems.
      R2Andrea

Comment

I think we are talking about 2 different numbers here . I took it that Bob was asking about the casting date code at the back of the engine.....maybe I'm wrong though.
        sigpic

Comment

I am talking about the raised letters or numbers that would be cast into the block front or back were ever it is . and how to read them, thanks
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Bob , heres what I know and I'll try to put it in writung.
            I'll use for example a 289 fullflow engine I have .
            The serial number up front on the block is PCC423 and the raised number on the back of the engine just off the distributor is 3 12 T
            I was told years ago that they started dating these blocks from 1947 which would have been "A" and finished up in 1964 with "T" they never used the letters I and L
            on my engine's casting number 3 12 T ; the 3 is the 3rd month ( March) the 12th day and the year is 1964 , making this a fairly late South Bend built engine.The serial number PCC423 reads: P is a 289 engine , C is for Canadian , 2nd C is for the month , 4 is for 1964 and the 23 is the day of the month making this engine went in the car on March 23 1964 and it was casted on March 12 1964.
            Hope this has helped .
            Last edited by 2R5; 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

So much for aging blocks. Eleven days from casting to machine and build the engine, ship it from the US to Canada and install it into a car.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

ya Gary , we could get an engine faster then our Turning Wheels <g>
                sigpic

Comment

I think Bob is referring to the RAISED Casting Number 1554641 at the right front of the blocks that never changed during a common blueprint/design run as R2Andy so clearly described.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

yes Rich these are the numbers I was talking about, but the letters and numbers on the back that 2R5 is talking about is very interesting if it is true, I have never heard of this before, I find it very hard to beleive that Studebakr would take the time to change part of the their set up on each block cast and will need to check out a few of the full flow blocks I have in the shop, and the short cure time is in the contary to what I have heard in the past about their block being cured longer than 2 weeks or less.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Well I'm glad that Bob got back to us. Check your blocks out ....it is true. If you look at the back the letters and numbers are on a tag that must of been put into the casting as they were made.
                      I would presume that the Canadian engines didn't get their serial number until they were in Hamilton.
                      sigpic

Comment

The casting date code was changed each day a particular pattern was run. Studebaker used a machine that embossed the characters on a zinc or aluminum strip which was then screwed to the appropriate location on the pattern. Blocks, heads, intake, exhaust and water pump manifolds were all normally date coded. The date code is XX YY Z where X is the month, Y is the day and Z is the year. T represents 1964. Th 1964 engine number system indicated the type of engine, month, year, then day it was produced (in that order). It dosen't correlate to when it was actually installed in the chassis.
                        The Body Tag ( the one attached to the firewall) was produced on the same type of machine as the casting date tag. The ones indicating special info like 4 speed or sunroof are done this way as well.
                        Last edited by R2Andrea; 11-23-2011, 06:40 PM.
                        R2Andrea

Comment

Thanks Andy and 2R5 for the help. will let you know what I find on mine..Bob
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

This is interesting. I have a full flow block on an engine stand out back with the casting# 4 18 1R. Its engine # is P92417 so it looks like its from very early full flow production in april 62, right??
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren are you sure that the numbers are right? 4 18 1? then the R what would the 1 stand for? 4 would be April 18 the the day and the R for 62 but what is the extra 1? I looked at one today it it was 9 -10-R for Sept 10th of 62 and at what month in 62 did they start using the full flow? and what would be the true time span to cure the blocks? and were they taking them in order of casting? could they be just taking them at random when they were going to build an engine? very interesting to say the least.
                              Last edited by candbstudebakers; 11-28-2011, 08:40 AM. Reason: changed from 63 to 62 type mistake
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X