Reedsville meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reedsville meet

Well, I started out for the Reedsville meet in the am. I needed some small items. I got underway and drove the 234 miles. I had plenty of time to spare. I got in a town , I think called milfford and The traffic was unbeliveable. It took hours. As we got closer to the swap meet The time got real tight. We got there at 4:40. The tables were covered and the people that had parts outside with the exception of the guy in the bus were all gone. Ten minitues later the lights were out and all were gone. My crew and I turned around and drove the 243 miles back home. I guess old people got to get there sleep. As we sat in a Kracker barrel talking about our ordeal. One guy mentioned that " street rodding looks alot more atractive now don't it". We all laughed payed the check and got underway. This was not our first trip there but I think it will be our last. Good old Studebaker's you got to love 'em right!
    Studebakers forever!

I would have spent the night and went saturday morning. You would have had fun still but mayhaps you had sat. booked up otherwise. jimmijim thats a lot of drivin for i day. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

C'mon....
      You made a 234 mile road trip without checking things out first?
      What do you think a swap meet is?
      It's not 24/7-365 Wal-Mart......
      You need to get to a swap meet early....and usually on the first day.
      Even if every single person was there, awaiting your arrival...at 4:30pm...
      How much time could you actually spend perusing the parts?
      How much time could you actually spend working the deals?
      Casual effort brings casual results.
      I think you did 'your crew' a disservice.

As a side note...
      There are only a half dozen "Stude specific' swap meets every year...
      Two in California (iirc), two in PA, and one in South Bend.
      It is not hard to figure out exactly where they are, when they start, and when they end...
      Oh... And someone who takes his 'crew' to Cracker Barrel should not make 'old people' cracks

Originally posted by studelover View Post
      Well, I started out for the Reedsville meet in the am. I needed some small items. I got underway and drove the 234 miles. I had plenty of time to spare. I got in a town , I think called Milford and The traffic was unbeliveable. It took hours. As we got closer to the swap meet The time got real tight. We got there at 4:40. The tables were covered and the people that had parts outside with the exception of the guy in the bus were all gone. Ten minitues later the lights were out and all were gone. My crew and I turned around and drove the 243 miles back home. I guess old people got to get there sleep. As we sat in a Cracker barrel talking about our ordeal. One guy mentioned that " street rodding looks alot more attractive now don't it". We all laughed payed the check and got underway. This was not our first trip there but I think it will be our last. Good old Studebaker's you got to love 'em right!
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        Oh... And someone who takes his 'crew' to Cracker Barrel should not make 'old people' cracks
        Watch out Jeff!...it's a good thing my 90 year young mother don't mess with computers...Cracker Barrel is her favorite...If she saw that remark, she might track you down and give you a good spanking!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Swap meets are a perfect illustration of my maxim, "you snooze, you lose". You want to arrive EARLY to avoid the traffic & find the deals. The part about the "crew" is probably the problem. I usually take these kinds of trips alone even though it is fun to have help with fuel & companionship. ( And MAYBE have some help watching the table!) My experience is if you are getting 2 or more people together, someone is going to have a job, a kid, or a spouse which is going to make him late getting away, and in a hurry to get back home, preventing checking any deals after the meet or doing any sight seeing.
          I wanted to go this year, but considering the cost of making the trip I finally decided that I could not run with the big dogs & stayed on the porch.
          Last edited by TX Rebel; 11-19-2011, 11:23 AM.
          Barry'd in Studes

Comment

I think you are very funny, your analysis of our situation is hillarious. I did not do my friends a disservice that swap meet did. First off if my father's shop closes at 5:00 and you arrive at 4:59 I am going to serve you. Oh my favorite is "taking your crew" all the people in my crew have Studebakers. I would not go up to Reedsville without a crew. looking at the way Penn treats the young folks they are needed. I did not ask that you wait for me just be open during the time you post. it doesen't take but a minute to tell me that you don't have any prewar stuff. "I miss Jim Hipple" Oh, when we go to the street rod nationals we always stop at Cracker barrel we love the toys and candy. we stay for 3 days there is alot to see and do. we have never felt that welcome to stay up there 2 days. I don't think I could have talked them into staying 10 min. after lights out. All in All we have a good time without evern seing you, alot of bonding took place and this morning we all polished our Studebakers that is the ones that started
            Last edited by studelover; 11-19-2011, 01:33 PM.
            Studebakers forever!

Comment

They dont need to start to polish them,,,silly.

Comment

Many many years ago, I rode to Reedsville in a station wagon full of Studebaker buddies. We had SDC members from three states packed in that wagon. Lots of bonding took place on that trip. You should have heard, as each of us "one upped" one another with our BS stories. If I had only had the forethought to take along a tape recorder...could've been a lot of blackmailing later!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have never been to Reedsville, but I helped my brother vend at the international meet in Springfield. We arrived early and set everything up and then spent all day at the space. Believe me, by 4PM I was more than glad to shut down. Usually there were no buyers by then and the volunteer help was done for the day. I love to browse swap meets, but for the vendors it is a long day.
                  I don't know why the street rod meets would be any different unless you have more professional vendors.
                  sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

I just got back from Reedsville, had a great time. I left Friday morning at 7:30 AM, drove 320 miles. I got there at 1:30 PM, checked out the meet, found some parts. B.P. will be glad to know I found a battery tray and proper HOLD DOWN for my '54. Left about 4:30, checked in at the motel, had dinner with 63tcab. Went back today and spent some more money, left at 12:30, got back at 6:00. Visited with some good people I've met through this hobby. It was nice to meet some folks in person I had met online or on the phone. It was good to put faces with the names. This was my second time there, and I will definetly be back.
                    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      As a side note...
                      There are only a half dozen "Stude specific' swap meets every year...
                      Two in California (iirc), two in PA, and one in South Bend.
                      I'm putting a 'think about it' list together for 2012~

besides the open house at Studebakers West does anyone know of any others?
                      I'd count La Palma or the Winter Meet in LA- and they are them on the list-
                      but those are more show then swap, really. Any others I am forgetting?

StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Dwight, hey I had a good time chitten n chattin also.also met up with Ted Jensen of NY,and even made a new sale minutes before leaving(wow timeing is everything)this fella can't wait to drive 7 or 8 hrs. to pick up a c-cab hood I got here,just a lot of fun to be had after not attending Reedsville in 5 years !
                        Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                        I just got back from Reedsville, had a great time. I left Friday morning at 7:30 AM, drove 320 miles. I got there at 1:30 PM, checked out the meet, found some parts. B.P. will be glad to know I found a battery tray and proper HOLD DOWN for my '54. Left about 4:30, checked in at the motel, had dinner with 63tcab. Went back today and spent some more money, left at 12:30, got back at 6:00. Visited with some good people I've met through this hobby. It was nice to meet some folks in person I had met online or on the phone. It was good to put faces with the names. This was my second time there, and I will definetly be back.
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Swap Meets aren't what they used to be, greatly affected by the internet. Still, don't go expecting Disneyland. Do go expecting to find those essentials that you won't find under other circumstances. Bring your parts numbers; all those little boxes that contain the precise items you need are useless without them. Don't know why but Reedsville seems to be the place for quality sheetmetal that won't appear at York or South Bend.
                          There just seems to be the stuff there that you must have but cannot believe would possibly be available.
                          It's not what you expect but is what you make it.
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Ever since I've been going they have closed up about 5. First time ever went, completely unknown and inexperienced, I assumed things shut down early evening since a. there was plenty of discussion on the forum of evening activities
                            b. there were plenty of ads in TW with details and
                            c. common sense told me that vendors would want to have time to eat and sleep, and the facility would likely want to close at a sensible hour.

So I checked out the distance from my home, calculated the travel time, and planned from there: 5 hours, wanted to arrive in the morning,figuring that would give the best selection, so I left home at 5AM. Arrived at about 10AM. Had a great time, plenty of time to look through everything and make some good deals.

It's all just basic common sense.

Now, had I planned poorly and arrived at closing time, I would have been mad at myself. If traffic made me too late there's no way I would have blamed the vendors for it. Nor would I have expected those in charge to keep the lights on and try to force everyone to stay because I was the one that didn't plan right, including allowing for possible traffic issues.

This year, I had another great time immersed in Studebaker stuff, meeting up with friends, making new ones, and enjoying the atmosphere. Just like always. Same as I will next year, God willing.

If you don't like the marque, or the meet, or the hours, that's your right. But blaming the entire function for not bending to YOUR desires is unfair. Please consider rethinking your wrong viewpoint, and give it another chance next year (with better planning).
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truthlet me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post

Woo-Hoo! A successful meet! BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X