Registered Studes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registered Studes?

Is there a way of knowing how many Studebakers are still on the road today?
    I see figures that there are *** motorcycles, or ### Toyotas, or whatever amount of Chevy trucks still on the road. Does anyone know the number of registered Studebakers at least in say the US?

They must use formulas to Guesstimate those Toyota and Chevy numbers. For Studebakers there is no AFFORDABLE way to get accurate numbers, since there is nobody with as much money as GM who cares.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Anyone, maybe based on clubs, have an idea of how many running Studes there are out there?

Comment

OK, I get it since there are no numbers, you'l take a WAG!
        Based on 13-14,000 SDC Members, plus Antique Studebaker Club, and Avanti Owners Association, maybe 20,000 including quite a lot of non-members.

There are way more out there, non-members and also many people have from 30 to 275, mostly parts cars, or non-runners which do not fit your criteria.

As I have said before, people always asking how many of this model or that, or total, I really do not understand because to me none of that matters in the least, doesn't effect the price of unleaded, gasahol one bit! Lol!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If "on the road" mean cars driven, say, at least 1000 miles per year, I doubt there are 500 in the USA.

Comment

No it does not change anything. I get that.
            My inquiry was based on a question from my registration guy. He was amazed at the documentation that I was quickly able to get from you guys. I said that I felt it was a fairly small community of people and a close knit group of car owners. He was curious of how many registered Studes there are.
            He runs a company called "In and Out" registration services and that is ALL he does is help people not have to deal with the DMV. He does dozens of vehicle titles, transfers, registrations and YOM plates a day. He charges a bit to do it, but I am sure you remember what a pain in rear the Ca DMV is Rich. Wa. may be the same pain that Ca is but this guy does everything and has saved me at least 3 visits to the DMV just on registering my truck.

Anyway, he said he has only done 1 other Stude in the 20 years he has been doing this business. I took a wild guess and said there was probably less than 20k Studes on the road these days, but I am only guessing.

Just thought I would ask if there were any figures or at least an educated guess on the number.

Comment

Whenever I've been asked how many Studebakers are still around, I simply answer that there are approximately 13,000 members of SDC and most of them own at least one Studebaker. So I tell them that there are 13,000 Studes, plus.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I have 9 complete cars but only 1 is registered. 3 others are parts cars. Perhaps a good guess is double the amount of members which would compensate for ones like me. It seems as Kelly has been smitten by the Studebaker bug since he said (yesterday?) he would like to also have a G.T. Hawk! Hard to resist having just one.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I am smitten.
                  I have always liked the smaller or off brands. From musical bands, to motorcycles, I always seem to be drawn to the ecclectic, or odd or different item than the masses are using.
                  Not saying Studes are odd, but they definately are the road less traveled than Chevys and Fords.
                  My next Stude {yes I am already thinking next since my truck will hopefully be on the road soon, I said Hopefully} will likely be a Lark, preferably '59-'61, second choice is all of the rest of the Larks and Lark based cars like Daytonas and Cruisers. I like them all. GT after that, and a Bullet nose anytime I can afford one....that wont happen anytime soon, but I can hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                    I have 9 complete cars but only 1 is registered. 3 others are parts cars. Perhaps a good guess is double the amount of members which would compensate for ones like me.
                    Hard to resist having just one.
                    Oh good- I thought this StudeBug was something in my genes that was passed down from my GrandFather to my Dad to two of his three sons...

Dad, Mike, and I can account for 50 (or so) Studes between us!!!
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

{:=) [:=) (:=) |:- <{:= )
                      Last edited by JimsLeadCommander; 11-20-2011, 01:40 AM.
                      JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                        Oh good- I thought this StudeBug was something in my genes that was passed down from my GrandFather to my Dad to two of his three sons...

Dad, Mike, and I can account for 50 (or so) Studes between us!!!
                        I am still putting relationships together, I am guessing you are StudRich's son and Mike (S) brother? Your Dad and Brother have been really helpful with some parts and manuals and all 3 of you with info and advice. Thanks a ton. 50 Studes huh....I can not hang out with you guys, lol, my wife if angry enough with me.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                          I am still putting relationships together, I am guessing you are StudRich's son and Mike (S) brother?
                          That would be correct. We are glad to help- it is what what we do.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

So did you live in the south bay area of LA as well like your dad? I think it was the Lomita area?

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                              So did you live in the south bay area of LA as well like your dad? I think it was the Lomita area?
                              Sorta, yes- we all did- Redondo Beach, Gardena, Torrance. Then Everett, WA.
                              Then back down to SoCal (Lancaster), and then back to Everett.
                              While I was in the NAVY I was all over the Country, and the World.
                              But now somehow we have all ended up in Whatcom County, Washington.
                              We'll see how long that lasts...

StudeDave '57
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC