Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studes that "made it" but were nonetheless lost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve T
    replied
    Two GT Hawks around here were found, lost, then found again. One spent years in a backyard as a spite item following a divorce; it then got acquired by a collector who didn't generally drive anything, but at least was indoors most of that period. It now belongs to an SDCer in Burlington, and I've had the pleasure of driving it myself four or five times! Another was acquired, a refurb was begun, but the owner then lost interest, and the car wound up vandalized in a back alley. Another gent from the neighbourhood talked the P/O into selling it, and got it back on the road in 2010; it is an ongoing restoration project/driver...

I think that '59 Lark wagon hulk I photographed a couple years ago near Paris, ON, had an SDC sticker on a window. Felt badly about that one...I like two-door wagons and that one had once been such a neat little car!

S.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    I believe Gary has one about a nice '62 G.T.Hawk that was left as an inheritance to someone who then drove it daily, including two winters in the salt which finished it off.

Craig
    Yes, that 1962 Hawk was purchased new by a doctor that had several cars and his office was in his home so the cars did not get a lot of use. He bought new Imperials for his first car use. My 1967 Imperial Crown Coupe was one that he bought new. When the doctor died, the Hawk looked like new and had very few miles (less than 30K, IIRC). I, and others, tried to buy the car. The son, a New York State Trooper, looked at the Hawk as a new car to use. He beat it to death in two or three years.

I have owned and known of many Studebakers that were nice cars in the 1970s-1980s and were just used up or destroyed (sometimes unfinished projects).

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    I once parted out a 66 Sports sedan back in 1972 or so. I'll never forget noticing the shiny paint on the floors as I cut it up with a torch to fit in the metal dumpster. It was a perfect car, just missing the drive line and worth nothing in the 70's because of the $15 sheet metal and bumpers from Standard Surplus.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    There were a few that yielded tech manuals in the back seat or trunk. Old copies of Turning Wheels, Stude meet paperwork..... Just used to boggle my mind that these cars had once had an owner affiliated with SDC and yet still ended up in a junkyard!

Heh - I'm genuinely sorry I recalled that gorgeous '58 President I came across. I remember telling Jon Myers about it as I used to sell him alot of parts I got from those yards. But as I said, at that time the poor 58 sedans didn't rate with most Stude folks. I know he never went after anything off that particular car. I actually would find out from him about a given yard that had a Stude or three in it. Folks would call him and alert him about such, but he didn't have the time to go and strip stuff, so sometimes he'd tell me and I'd go scavenge what I knew he'd be willing to buy - then I'd sell the stuff to him for a handsome profit. We both made money that way. By the late 90s tho - a Stude coming into one of those yards was the exception.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    From Bob K, above:

"It was on this day - my first of what would be YEARS of scouring these yards - that I saw a Stude set out for picking with a Studebaker Drivers Club decal (or two) on cars that sometimes were missing NOTHING but someone to love them!"

Yep, Bob; those are the toughest ones (and the topic de jour); cars that ran the used car gauntlet to be welcomed by an SDCer, then allowed to become junk. Phooey. BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 11-18-2011, 11:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dictator27
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    What color was that particular car? I did see one in that area in 1993; basically a parts car. I know it was a 'late' car because of the Olive Green Metallic color.

Craig
    White, black vinyl roof, gold brocade upholstery and probably every available option.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
    A 66 Cruiser that had "historic" significance here. It was the last new Studebaker sold in Vancouver by the city's oldest and only remaining Studebaker dealer. The car was purchased new by a lifelong Studebaker owner in the summer of 67. He joined our chapter in the early 70's. He was in his 70's and in frail health. As longe ashe could, he came to our meetings, but eventually health issues meant he could no longer drive and the car disappeared. It was always immaculate. I would sure like to know if it is still around.
    What color was that particular car? I did see one in that area in 1993; basically a parts car. I know it was a 'late' car because of the Olive Green Metallic color.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    My 1962 Lark: had it 'lived' in the Rust Belt; it probably wouldn't be around to tell its tale.

The last time it was tagged was sometime in the 1970's judging by its green/yellow Arizona license plate.

Long story short: the car came to me with a clear title, all good glass and about 99.5% rust free.

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    pics from 1982 Seattle National meet?

1982 was my second big meet, I was just a kid.. Kind of an overcast showery morning. As the day went on, it warmed up. This was the first meet I was old enough to take note of what I was seeing.

A late arrival to the meet, 1962 Daytona Skytop, 289, 4 speed shows up. One of the nicest cars at the show. The owner was late, and not happy he could not get judged. He leaves early.

Fastforward to 2003 I find the same car, top leaky, windows busted out, sitting in a warehouse parking lot. There was plenty of room inside, not sure why this car is outdoors..

I made a deal and brought it home.

Does anyone have a photo of this beautiful car as is once was??

Leave a comment:

• dictator27
    replied
    A 66 Cruiser that had "historic" significance here. It was the last new Studebaker sold in Vancouver by the city's oldest and only remaining Studebaker dealer. The car was purchased new by a lifelong Studebaker owner in the summer of 67. He joined our chapter in the early 70's. He was in his 70's and in frail health. As longe ashe could, he came to our meetings, but eventually health issues meant he could no longer drive and the car disappeared. It was always immaculate. I would sure like to know if it is still around.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• Jeff T.
    replied
    Speaking of 62 Daytonas....

back around 1979-1980 a friend told me about a 62 Daytona parked on a hill behing a farmstead east of Prague, NE. I went to the area with my father a little later to look for the Daytona and found members of the extended family that had a number of Larks but never got back up there because sometimes life takes funny twists and turns.

Around 1995, I got back up there and bought a number of Champ trucks to build one good one and later bought some Lark parts cars and I finally discovered which farm had the 62 Daytona.

I did not get back up to the Prague area until the early 2000s and finally got up to the Daytona that I had learned about back in 1979. I don't know what the car might have looked like 20 years earlier but by the time I finally saw the Daytona in person it was a parts car at worst.

While composing this note I pulled up the area on Google maps and nothing is as I recall in the area but I think I saw a Lark in somebody's yard from x thousand feet

But the moral of this story is... if you get a line of a parts car or restorable car, go after it. sometimes tomorrow never comes

Jeff T.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Geez! I'm not sure I wanna depress myself that much. 19 years ago, I discovered one of - if not the first - Pick-A-Part yard in Wilmington, California. I had acquired a '64 Chyrsler Imperial Crown Coupe that needed only a working PS pump to be operable. I'd paid $300 for the REALLY sweet-looking Imp, and my CASO consciousness balked at the notion that would be $90 bucks for a rebuilt unit. The parts place guy - sensing my lockage - mentioned that he'd heard about a "yard" in Wilmington where one pulled whatever stuff he needed and paid a very meager price for it. He had NOT mis-characterized the place!
    I went there on a Saturday morning and was totally blown away by what I found. This operation was FULL of oldies. FULL of them! I found and pulled an obviously freshly rebuilt PS pump and paid under $10 dollars for it. I was hooked.
    But even before I pulled the pump off a donor Imperial, what caught my eyes caused my jaw to drop to where I damned near tripped over it! Just outside the area where you could scavenge parts, there was the area where previously picked over cars were literally stacked up awaiting their being fed to the crusher. There were hundreds of hulks (actually, "hulks" is a misnomer because alot of the cars were only lightly scavenged-to-practically complete) awaiting their final fate. To this DAY - I can still see that red '58 Packard J-body sitting atop several other Studes.
    I walked over to the fence and stared up at that beauty. It looked like if they'd set it back on the ground, it might only require a battery to drive it off. Once I got my lower jaw back in place, I discovered that there was a section of the yard just for orphans. Studebakers, AMCs (even tho they weren't technically orphans in '82), Hudsons and the like - would end up in that section. That particular day there were about 10 Studes in the mix. Ramblers making up the balance. It was on this day - my first of what would be YEARS of scouring these yards - that I saw a Stude set out for picking with a Studebaker Drivers Club decal (or two) on cars that sometimes were missing NOTHING but someone to love them!
    When I went up to one of the pay windows with my PS pump, I asked to speak to one of the managers. I was desperate to know if I could swing a deal on the 58 Packard hordtop. Heh - I remember the emotion and pleading I laid on that fella - trying my BEST to convince him of the rarity and value of that S-P gem. He wouldn't budge from his "No". They bought many of these cars with no paperwork whatsoever - and there was NO WAY they were gonna bother to re-establish such on something that had been bought primarily as scrap potential - period.

As the years progressed - and these help yourself yards flourished in the LA basin, they started to offer some of the nicer -intact - collector cars IF they'd lucked into a title when it was bought by the yard. (And I don't know what they're payin' for "junk" cars nowdays, but it used to be they NEVER paid more than $150 for one - and if it was missing so much as a wheel or the air cleaner - that was valid reason to offer even less!) Anyway, I recall a GT Hawk that was for sale at one yard out near Ontario (Calif.) that had a price of $700 on it. It had whacked something with it's right front fender and that had pushed the fender back to where you couldn't open the right door. That appeard to be ALL that ailed that Hawk. Nice white paint. Perfect black interior, 4-spd, buckets, all gages, and SDC stickers on the front and rear windshields! How the HELL did this car not get saved by a fellow SDC person??? There were other examples like this, but this one sticks out in my mind to this day.
    Where I live now, I've found other Studes with SDC stickers, badges and such in states of disrepair and decay. Two that come to mind were a 4-spd '61 Hawk and a '58 Commander 4-dr that set waiting in a weedy field. Just not enough money, space and time to save them all. Although, I DO know (cause I ultimately had a hand in it) that the '58 got revived. Last I heard it was still using it's 259 to get around in the hands of a non-Stude type. The '61 Hawk was less than a parts car when I last saw it. But the SDC decals were still visible on the vent windows.

EDIT: I just remembered this one, and I have to tell about it. Some of you MAY remember me telling of this car in years past, but I just now remembered it - and I'm sure that's because my brain has TRIED to forget the injustice of this incident....

One of these P-A-P yards was square in the middle of a metropolitan area - no doubt it had been a wrecking yard before the town grew up around it. It's Stanton, Calif, by the way.
    As these yards went, the Stanton yard was rather small, but that didn't mean I wouldn't find some gems there on occassion! I walked in there one day and just a couple of rows into the yard, I see it! There sits a '58 President hardtop - White W/red - missing not ONE part. CLEAN inside and out - not a dent, not a scratch, not rust bubble one! I think even the battery hold-down was there.
    On this one, I ran straight back to the front office and started pleading. Even tho we lived in a mobile home court at the time, I would FIND A WAY to keep and love this baby if I could just get my hands on it. Heh - they wouldn't even listen to me. I stood there offering 4-figure purchase monies (knowing they had a fraction of such invested in the thing), and they wouldn't budge. I ended up taking the radio out of it. And I pointedly did not go back there for a few months - not wanting to have to look at it. Remember, of course, this was in the mid-80s and the '58 sedans were personna-non-grata for all but the few of us SDCers that admired them. <sigh> Almost wish I hadn't remembered that one.
    Last edited by Roscomacaw; 11-18-2011, 07:57 AM. Reason: additional recollections

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    I dunno Bob...
    Some of us aren't aging so gracefully, either...
    Time is relentless...
    Well, Jeffster, I'm certainly glad you qualified your statement by saying, "some of us...." <GGG> BP

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I dunno Bob...
    Some of us aren't aging so gracefully, either...
    Time is relentless...

Leave a comment:

• jg61hawk
    replied
    I think sometimes we re-do a car only to be so completely happy with it that it no longer is a restoration, but it becomes a daily driver to the point we ruin it - hopefully only to restore it again. I did this twice to my Hawk which I have had since around 1979.

At this point, however, I will never even allow "The Hawk" to get wet. I have finally reached a point that I enjoy owning it more than than I enjoy driving it. (OH BOY THAT SHOULD SET OFF SOME COMMENTS). I do believe some of these cars literally get "LOVED TO DEATH".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X