Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studes that "made it" but were nonetheless lost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studegary
    replied
    There have been several mentions of SDC stickers on cars indicating that they were once owned by SDC members and implying that the cars were previously loved. In the 1960s-1970s, many (most) Studebakers (particularly Larks) were just inexpensive used cars and used as such. Many owners belonged to SDC to get parts and other benefits. They just used the cars up as the cars went from ten year old to 20 year old basic transportation used cars.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Here's one speculation: could this car have been a flood victim? In 2003, the town south of here, High River, actually lived up to its name and received its '100 year' flood that spring. A few months later, the local PYP yard ended up with several of these flood damaged cars. Most of them were maybe 10 year old Cavaliers, Honda Civics, etc., but I do remember a '68 Dodge Monaco convertible in there as well. The giveaway of course were the water damaged interiors with 3 inches dried silt on the floors, and surface rust in places it wouldn't otherwise rust, water-filled guages, et al. Was there any evidence of that on this Daytona?

Craig
    Is this another Canadian thing? I do not believe that there were any 1967-1968 Monaco convertibles in the USA. There were Coronet convertibles in 1967-1968.

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    In 1973 I bought a '63 Sliding roof wagon that had a body in hideous condition. Not rusted, but beat all to hell. It had had the OHV 6 cyl replaced with a 1950's 2V V-8 motor and ran reasonably well. I paid $210 for it. Then I quickly found another '63 Sliding roof wagon at a local junkyard. The body was very nice and it had an OHV 6 cyl engine, pwr steering and the Twin Traction denoted by the little TT emblem in circles. The only thing missing was the 3 speed manual trans. I bought it for $60. Oddly enough, these cars were only a couple digits different in the serial numbers. The junker made was like 2 cars after the one I desired to fix up. I knew an old retired guy that fiddled with body work. He agreed to transfer both front fenders, both bumpers, one rear panel and paint the thing the original white color for $100 and a new tractor tire, if I'd provide the paint and supplies he needed. It took him about a month, but he did a really good job. Oddly enough, the next car he was getting ready to work on was an Amphi-Car (coolest thing I'd ever seen). Anyway, then I had the interior reupholstered and heavy duty shocks installed. My wagon looked really good, but after barely driving it at all, the clutch started slipping and the old V-8 engine died completely. The day I last drove it, people behind me couldn't see the road for all the blue smoke it was belching. I parked it for years and finally sold it for $350 to a guy who pulled the croaked engine and trans and dropped in a Chevy V-8 and 4-speed on the floor. Pretty soon, he sold it, and I never saw it again. The stripped down donor wagon minus it's fenders, bumpers, hood, and rear panel looked like a skeleton. My late uncle used his bulldozer to push it over a bank and cover it with dirt. In essence, I killed two '63 sliding roof wagons, and I regret it to this day. In hindsight, the biggest mistake I made was not realizing the "junker" was probably the car I should've actually fixed up!

Leave a comment:

• Nelsen Motorsports
    replied
    There is a 63 Lark 4-door 259 auto in town with only 54,000. This thing has been sitting outside for 4 years getting covered with mildew. The car is still nice though and could use a refreshening (buffing). The only thing it really needs is a new trunk lid and a tune-up. The floors are SOLID and the interior is nice. I would buy it, but I already have enough on my plate.

Leave a comment:

• bob40
    replied
    It wasnt that many years ago that garages were a luxury and most garages were single stalls reserved for the families ' good' car. I can recall growing up with Dads new or newer car in the single garage while stay at home Moms '55 Chevy 2 door sedan sat outside year after year.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Here's a link to an example of such a car (my '64 Hawk) that survived harsh Minnesota winter roads from the original owner and was then purchased by an enthusiast in the early 1970's that restored it. The car saw very few miles after restoration (and has an old SDC decal on the windshield) but now looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. I don't understand what happened to it...did subseqent owner's not have a garage for it??
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...loud-Minnesota

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    replied
    I had a hard time dealing with this type thing early on. Not just Studes, but lots of others. My Dad ran a salvage yard, and I had the Idea that I could save soooo many that eventually went to the crusher. Two of many I remember, and still get sad adout today, is Dad's old M-15 Studebaker wrecker, and a 40 Ford coupe, I worked on for 4 years, and they both evenually went to the burn and torch death. (what they did before crushing)

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Craig, after re-reading my original post, I see that saying my car would need door panels could be misunderstood. The metal door skins are pretty good. I should have written that it would need the inside upholstered door panels. Although my car is now out of the elements, my rather drafty man cave is far from a well enclosed heated garage. However, it's better than nothing.
    Yep, yours is an excellent example of a car being brought back from the brink before its too late, which is fortunate. The sad part is the car here was too far gone, even though both cars had owners in similar circumstances.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Craig, after re-reading my original post, I see that saying my car would need door panels could be misunderstood. The metal door skins are pretty good. I should have written that it would need the inside upholstered door panels. Although my car is now out of the elements, my rather drafty man cave is far from a well enclosed heated garage. However, it's better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    I have a '60 V8 four door Lark that used to belong to an SDC member long deceased. His daughter was given the car to use during high school. By the time I discovered the car (mid 1980's) the daughter had become a mother. She had offered the Lark to her daughter to drive to school. The daughter did not want it. Unfortunately, this former daughter of an early SDC member had not had the best breaks in life. Her last husband could only supply her a house that sat on wheels. Having a garage to park the car out of the elements was out of the question.

By the time I found the Lark, it was in sad shape. It was in the fall, and oak leaves were piled up to the doors.

I brought the car back to make a fairly nice driver, but have now had it parked for over 16 years. (out of the elements) It could be made into a nice driver again, but now it will need paint, a headliner, door panels, and a little floor work.
    That sounds remarkably similar to a story here in the early 1980's; only this car was one of those rare 1964-1/2 Commander "Specials" with the Daytona interior. She was also a single mom who was given this car by her grandfather, and drove it 'everywhere' winter and summer until all that was left of the poor thing was a rusted out hulk. In 1990, it ended up at a local autowreckers; the floors and trunk floor long rusted away.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Here's one speculation: could this car have been a flood victim? In 2003, the town south of here, High River, actually lived up to its name and received its '100 year' flood that spring. A few months later, the local PYP yard ended up with several of these flood damaged cars. Most of them were maybe 10 year old Cavaliers, Honda Civics, etc., but I do remember a '68 Dodge Monaco convertible in there as well. The giveaway of course were the water damaged interiors with 3 inches dried silt on the floors, and surface rust in places it wouldn't otherwise rust, water-filled guages, et al. Was there any evidence of that on this Daytona?

Craig
    Not really, Craig.

What probably did the car in faster than otherwise was its open proximity to the railroad tracks on the heavily-traveled line through Logansport. You know; the various quantities of dirt, dust, and airborn toxins that would attend being near a railroad track, unprotected.

(This per Rick Crawley; I never saw the car where Rick picked it up.) BP

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    JDPs tale of the 66 made me think about the one I had in the late 70s. I can't honestly remember if I paid something for that Daytona or not. But yeah, that sucker had gorgeous floorboards and everything else - shy of it's engine. I do remember the guy I got it from intimating that the ONLY thing it had been good for was it's good-running 283 - which ended up in his Chevy PU. I passed that car to another SDCer when I left Georgia in '81. It was dark metallic blue with a white vinyl roof. Really pretty. Maybe ROADRACELARK will recall what ever happened to that car.
    Last edited by Roscomacaw; 11-18-2011, 04:17 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    I have a '60 V8 four door Lark that used to belong to an SDC member long deceased. His daughter was given the car to use during high school. By the time I discovered the car (mid 1980's) the daughter had become a mother. She had offered the Lark to her daughter to drive to school. The daughter did not want it. Unfortunately, this former daughter of an early SDC member had not had the best breaks in life. Her last husband could only supply her a house that sat on wheels. Having a garage to park the car out of the elements was out of the question.

By the time I found the Lark, it was in sad shape. It was in the fall, and oak leaves were piled up to the doors.

I brought the car back to make a fairly nice driver, but have now had it parked for over 16 years. (out of the elements) It could be made into a nice driver again, but now it will need paint, a headliner, door panels, and a little floor work.

Life happens, just because one family member values and cares for these cars with excitement and passion, does not mean that anyone else in the family cares. There is a large segment of our society that will forever look at these cars as "old" and odd. Two cars I have, were bought from the estate of a collector, who valued and cherished them. When he died, his family couldn't get rid of them fast enough. They would have been just as quick to sell them to a scrap yard as to me.

Then there is the "all show and no go" restorations. That is the car that is given a cursory restoration without doing the hard technical preparation. They look good for two are three shows (or years) and too soon the glued in headliner is falling down, paint is bubbling, and the rusty frame is sagging.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Bob, as to your OP: when I bought the Skytop parts car from Kent Fedor, he talked me into making a side trip along the way to the UP of MI to Brad Daugherty's house to bring him a black '62 Daytona conv. corpse that was pretty rough; no engine/trans. but otherwise mostly there. Brad had intended to transfer all the conv.-specific parts to a hardtop donor; but lost interest in Larks and sold the hulk to Kent. Kent told me he intended to restore it, but it seemed to far gone to me, even for a convertible. Wonder if that's the car you're thinking of- and what he ever did with it...

Best thing that came of it was, the other car that Brad was going to use as the subject was a rock-solid '62 Daytona shell from CO that was a factory 4-speed car; I fell in love with it and bought it and it is now the basis of my r2 Daytona Skytop dream car project

When I get home next week I'll post the one picture of the vert I took.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    That seemed like such a terrible shame, and I've never forgotten it. It seems like once a nice car gets into the club, especially something as desirable as a black, red/white interior 289/225/4-speed Daytona convertible, that it should at least see indoor storage so it doesn't deteriorate too much from that point on...yet this one became a hulk so rusty it was only good for bits and pieces a couple decades after it had been displayed at an SDC National Meet.

Craig

Leave a comment:

Working...
X