experimental engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• experimental engine

Last weekend, when working on Bamajack's 259 I set one of the heads on the top of this engine to keep me from tripping over it. You would be surprised at the many questions that was asked about this overhead valve, Studebaker Jeep engine.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Very cool in concept.
    If you never followed USAC midget sprint cars you would be surprised at the engine combos they have come up with. It was common for VW bug motors, then came Pinto motor, then Cosworth, then guys started cutting v8s length wise and making slant 4s, then someone got the idea of V4 motor so some tried the little Saab V4, but that was too much work since there were no hop up stuff available, so then some guys started cutting SBC cross wise and making V4s super Small Block Chevy's....crazy stuff some guys will build. Not sure what they are using these days, I stopped following them in the 90s.

Cool stuff

Comment

Head

My poor little head ...come home soon..........
      Jack White
      Charlotte,NC
      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Jack, is Sunday soon enough? It will be two heads with a block attached!!
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
          Very cool in concept.
          hen someone got the idea of V4 motor so some tried the little Saab V4, but that was too much work since there were no hop up stuff available,
          Cool stuff

Of course I don't what kind of horsepower you need for such cars and I realize that the other engines mentioned probably put out more horses per dollar than the Saab/Ford V4, but there are some sources for improvement for the stock V4 engine.

And back on topic, the Jeep engine with the Stude OHV head means Bamajak's V-8 is now without one of its heads. Oh well some things have to be sacrificed in the name of creativity.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
          X