Looking for lost love!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for lost love!

Glad to find you all, I was 13 when dad brought home the most beautiful auto I had ever seen, 1953 Commander Starlight coupe. I had limited use all through my high school years, never did find a gal that would turn me down with that ride. Later in life, dad was getting older, and anounced one day that he was having a garage sale and going to sell the Stude, I said "dad, you can't do that, he said watch me" so I bought it from him. I loved that car, this was about 1990 and then one day in a very weak moment I sold it, damm, suger happens, Now I would really like to reunite with the old girl. when I sold, it was light blue with a cream top and had the wire hupcaps. It went to a nice young guy in Ft Collins Colorado, I remember this first name was Robin--any help appreciated very much. Selling that car is probably the only regret I have in my life. I have recently purchased a 53 Champion starlight coupe with a chev v-8, as a kid I always wanted to do that to mine. Anyway as I enter my golden, golden years the new little Stude helps a lot. Any info you might have too cool--thanks all, glad to be with you.

Like those beautiful girl friends we had in our youth, it may be better NOT to go looking for the cars that got away - they may not be pretty any more or they met a terrible end. Enjoy the good memories and the cars you can have now. Sometimes, the memories are better than what the reality was at the time.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Story sounds very familiar. I was still in high school when the '53s came out. Graduated in '54. Finally saved enough money to buy a '53 Commander coupe in the summer of '55. Blew the engine in '58. New baby, not much money, no place to work on it. Had to sell. Now replaced with a '53 Starliner. Happy again!

Bob
      Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

I have to agree with Gary! Recently I was able to see my 1940 Nash Lafayette that I had sold 30 years ago. I had intended to buy it back. The lady was asking $1,000, I offered her $700 for old times sake. No deal. The last time the car was operational was on the day that I sold it, it has deteriorated to parts car status. Not to throw a damper on your dream, but I still haven't recovered from seeing my car in that state of disrepair.
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

PS:
          Welcome to the site tunni. I see that was your first post, so glad to have you here. Post up some pics so we can see your new Starlight. Nice post BTW, look forward to more. Tell us more about your self.

Comment

The dream never dies. I was leaving the country in 77 and owed Mr. Transmission money so I told him to keep my 55 Coupe. Thirty some years later I have another one, in a lot better shape. Still would like to find my first one, though.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I think everyone would like another stab at their 1st car ( maybe 1st girl too Gary <g>)
              Mine was a 52 starlite coupe....man would I like to have that back
              Good luck finding your car....keep us informed .
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                I think everyone would like another stab at their 1st car
                Not me! 'cause I know what I put that big lumbering 1955 Buick nailhead through. Back then, what my buddies and I put our cars through on those old winding mountain dirt roads...worse than anything you ever saw on the old Dukes of Hazard show. Then there was the times we snuck into the local dirt track in the wee hours of the morning...and the time we had a contest to see who's car would fly the highest off the pitcher's mound at the church softball field...nope...don't want anything to do with that car!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Any of these match the description? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=nikon

Craig

Comment

Welcome to the Forum! Good Luck with your search.
                    Guess we all have the same story? Mine was a 1937 Desoto Coupe!
                    Good roads
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and pictures, it feels just like a warm blanket here with all the Stude lovers, I will most likely be OK now that I have the Champion, it was on e bay a couple months ago and I had a nice road trip from Cheyenne to Alabama to pick it up. Runs better then the original as the Commander would vaper lock and I was stranded a few times, now as I look back maybe that had something to do with selling, also the old girl friends at my 50th reunion had changed a bit, ya think?? I graduated from Colorado State in 1963, was a Air Force navigator for 7 years, Viet Nam duty included the AC 130 Spectre gunship, my crew had the prototype to ourselves for the whole year, great life highlight for me. Then real estate in Loveland Colorado, now mostly retired, if you can be with rentals, I like firearms, hunting, fishing and now have my newest toy, the Stude. Anyway, life is good and ment to be enjoyed, glad to be here. Bill

Comment

Welcome to the Stude land again, Maybe the Annual Meet in South Bend Indiana might be of interest to you, many Studes of all years, agreat place to meet new friends that you will be talking to in the months to come. This year its in South Bend July 29th.- Aug 4th. Possible to plan a holiday at that time? I'm sure you would enjoy it. I'm Hoping to drive the 57 their again. Evan
                        Evan Severson

Comment

I looked in the '07 club roster and there was no member in Colorado with first name Robin. Vapor lock's usually easy to fix.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Bill. I wish you GREAT luck in finding your car.

I am very lucky in that I never lost mine. It's the one in my signature.

Comment

Bill,
                              Welcome!!!! Thank you very much for your service! Let me invite you to the Conestoga Chapter's Thanksgiving meeting. It is this Sunday at the Forney Museum of Transportation. I know that is short notice. It is only 2 hours away from you! We have members coming from Wellington (just down the street from you!). We have some long term members that might just know who Robin is. Let me know if you can make it and I will send you the details!
                              Carey
                              Packard Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X