Ebay Starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay Starter?

There has been alot of banter back and forth on starters....since mine is bad and I have asked a couple of questions that is.

I found a starter on Ebay for what I think is a fair price. Since I have not had the best fortune finding a rebuild shop who wants to touch mine, I was thinking this is a good option. My problem is that the ebay add clearly says it is for a 1952-55 ALL except Champion manual trans. My truck currently has a '52 commander {I believe} 232 with a 3 speed OD trans. The interchange part number in his add is correct for the number on my starter but the part number is different.

This is the add:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220890026321...84.m1423.l2649

I am a bit confussed. I doubt it is the correct one because I asked him how long the nose is and it is 2-7/8" and mine is 2-3/16".

Mine has the same 3537 number on the body, but the longer number is different. Mine is 1107012 his is 1107115.

Any input?

actually i just double checked and mine is 2-1/8"

Comment

The Ebay starter appears to have the longer 2 3/4" nose for automatic transmission cars. Reference Bob Johnstone's site: http://www.studebaker-info.org/Other...s/starter.html

Comment

See now that makes me more confussed because my starter has the 2-1/8th" nose on it, which that says is for a 4 speed car....My truck has always been a 3 on the tree, and now is a 3 w/OD and a 232 V8...supposedly out of a Cammander. By that page you posted I should have a 2" nose cone that is more blunt and round than mine is....I cant swear that this starter is right for my car though.

Does anyone have a parts book for '52 ish cars and can see what my starter number is supposed to fit??????

Comment

The 1953 Studebaker Shop Manual says that Std. & O.D. Trans. Cars use 1107115 and Automatic Trans. cars use 1107116, go figure! Did he misread his number? Keep in mind though this book ONLY covers '53 Cars.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This is where I am getting messed up. His number is 1107115. That should be ALL manual cars if I have read correctly.

Rich does the book say how long the nose cone is on that 1107115 OR the 1107116? I doubt it, but thought I would ask.

Comment

Now if that does not get frustrating enough, I sent him my part number off of my starter, and he says it is for an old fork lift....my brain hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The 1953 Studebaker Shop Manual says that Std. & O.D. Trans. Cars use 1107115 and Automatic Trans. cars use 1107116, go figure! Did he misread his number? Keep in mind though this book ONLY covers '53 Cars.
                My Hollander Interchange Manual agrees with Rich, and notes that they can be interchanged if the starter drive is swapped. They both fit all Stude V8 52-55.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Kmac
                  Why not ask the seller what he would charge you to rebuild yours?
                  He is either rebuilding them himself or getting them from someone who does.
                  The pictures show a pretty detailed rebuild from what I can see.
                  Just a thought.

Comment

Steve, Thanks for the idea. I sent him a message this afternoon after you posted this idea. I have not heard back yet.

I am frustrated because now I can not be positive of what I have, or if it even worked in this truck before....what if the starter is why the truck got parked 35 years ago? Didn't work right, wore out quickly and they thought there was a bigger problem so they parked it....never touched it again. ARRGGGGHHH.

Maybe I should wait til later in the week when I pull the motor and look at the flywheel and ring gear to make sure what I need. It is bastardized.
                    I know for sure from a previous thread here that my existing motor {that my starter came off of} is a 1952 232ci v8. And it definately has a 3 speed OD trans which means that part number on that starter SHOULD work on my truck....right?

I am wondering now if his part number is correct? The part number is on the starter motor body, maybe somebody has changed the nose cone to the later long nose?

*KABOOM*
                    There went my brain....

Comment

The Delco number on the starter just identifies the case and the internal parts that are permanently attached to it. But that should be enough to determine that it was designed to fit 6-volt Stude V8s. What else do you need to know? Who knows how many times it has been rebuilt over the years? The seller is going by the Delco number, but the starter drive may have been changed at some time in the past for an automatic. If you buy the rebuilt starter, the worst thing that can happen is you have a rebuilt starter with the wrong bendix drive on it. Starter drives are easy to replace -- and if yours is okay, you may not even need to buy one from someone else.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Have you found a starter yet? I've got a bunch of layin' around here. can test 'em first, of course.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

And BTW - can you get us the numbers off thepass. side of the tanny's case? If what you were told is true, it should read T-86 something. Is it a top loader or side loader???
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey! I found a starter for you. It's an automatic version - 1107116 - but you swap your nose piece onto it and you'll be spinning like crazy (I tested it just now) $25 + UPS ground charges and you can have it with you tomorrow. That is if I hear from you before about 3:30 today.

Thing looks clean inside and NO wear on the bendix teeth. BTW, book says 52-3-4 all the same with respect to stick or auto starters.

Comment

ITS MINE.

Do you have paypal or do you want me to mail you a check....say the word. PM me paypal info

Comment

Working...
                              X