1936 Studebaker In DWI/DUI Wreck In Des Moines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 Studebaker In DWI/DUI Wreck In Des Moines

The Des Moines Register is the number one source for Des Moines and Iowa breaking, politics, business, agriculture, Iowa sports and entertainment news.

(snippet copy)
    The crash, involving three vehicles, occurred in the 2300 block of Southwest Ninth Street about 11 p.m., Oct. 1. According to a police report, Smith turned south from Davis Street onto Southwest Ninth Street. He was driving a 1936 Studebaker two-door.
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 11-11-2011, 03:49 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Guess he won't be reading Turning Wheels for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
      No, but he might be making some of our license plates.

Comment

I wonder if he can make me some Yellow and black Ca plates in Iowa?

Seriously though that stuff is really bad. He is fortunate he did not kill someone. Tragic that he likely ruined the '36 in the midst of hurting people.

Comment

It just dawned on me that the abbreviation DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) is one of those age/generation defining terms (sorry Jeff).
          The term DUI (Driving Under Influence) that replaced it is much easier to cite. For the record, I don't condone either.

I'd like to see the pictures on this one, cringeworthy as they may be. What a )^#&@$$.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

I'm betting it wasn't a stocker.

Having seen up close and personal the damage and devastation a drunk driver can cause I feel that much stronger penalties should be applied to that crime.
            http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well ... I haven't seen TW either for more than a month. :-{
              The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

Good point.
                I fixed the title.

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                It just dawned on me that the abbreviation DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) is one of those age/generation defining terms (sorry Jeff).
                The term DUI (Driving Under Influence) that replaced it is much easier to cite. For the record, I don't condone either.

I'd like to see the pictures on this one, cringeworthy as they may be. What a )^#&@$$.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Age related? Heck I go all the way back to D&D. Drinking and Driving. Never been guilty though.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Neither term is out dated, most states use both terms depending on the situation (drugs, alcohol, other impairments). In states that use both terms for alcohol a DWI (driving while impaired) indicates a higher blood/alcohol content then a DUI.

Joe
                    sigpic

1962 Daytona
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And a few others

Comment

A few weeks ago, I went to our DMV and paid an extra six bucks to have my license plate changed. I am a non drinker (which means I have no excuse for being this crazy) and the letters on my plate read DWI.

I was afraid that (especially if I were driving out-of-state) the license plate might garner unwanted attention from law enforcement who could have thought that South Carolina might use those letters to identify "at risk" drivers.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

New York state uses the term DWI, driving while intoxicated, and DWAI, driving with ability impared. DWAI can be from alcohol, any drug legal or otherwise, or anything that hinders your ability to drive. Sleep deprived or sick drivers for example.
                        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I've told this before, and since no one got hurt, I can look back and chuckle at my drunken stupidity of that day.

I have and do partake of spirits almost daily. Almost exclusively, this happens in the evening when I'm not gonna have any reason to get in a vehicle. That said, it was 1975 or 76 at a Xmas party I took part in - that I got really hammered. My home was less than a quarter mile from the shop. For my ride home, I had a '62 Daytona hardtop that was a friend's car. He'd dropped it off earlier with the idea that I was gonna fix something on it - I don't remember what.
                          Anyways, I manage to drive away without incident (any that I recall anyway!), and get just short of my driveway. Since the driveway was all full of Studes already, I made the quick decision to aim for the adjoining strip of lawn. Sadly - even tho I'd lived there for 2 or 3 years at that point - I didn't take into consideration the high, stout curbstone. The Daytonas front wheels bounded with quite a bounce, but the dual mufflers refused to be so forgiving. There was the instantaneous bellering of an open V8. I'd pulled the duals completely off the engine. I can honestly say - I don't remember HOW I explained that to my friend later. I'm sure he got a totally new exhaust setup out of it.
                          T'was not an incident I recount with pride - just one that points up how stupid it is to drive like that whether or not there's casualties involved.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A habitual offender like that needs some serious jail time, with mandatory rehab. We just had one with a similar record kill one of our highway workers. Ran right over him and kept going.

Pat
                            Last edited by Pat Dilling; 11-11-2011, 03:10 PM.
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Why not, don't they get things to read in Jail???
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X