Can a car be insured when not completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a car be insured when not completed

I am restoring my 58 Golden Hawk....All painted, seats upholstered, engine done. etc.
    The car is not completely put back together though..Everything is in the garage with the car.
    Does anyone know if it can be insured..I'll be gone this winter for a couple months so I worry about the car...fire, storms etc. And even now while I am here. But hate to see 4 years of work and investment go down the drain if it was destroyed.
    Any suggestions??

Don
    sigpic
    58 Golden Hawk
    DSamborski
    Pillager, MN

Check with Grundy. They insured an under construction Jag I was building for a friend.
    Bob
    Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

All I do is call my agent and give him the Serial Number, model and year and ask that they add Comprehensive coverage (fire/theft/storm) on the car, I get 0 deductable added to my ordinary Allstate or Country Mutual Ins. policy for the driver Car that has Liability coverage (necessary requirement). It costs between 10 and $25.00 a 1/2 year.

No need to describe the car's condition at all!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

When I bought my '54 it was in restorable condition (to be charitable) and hadn't been on the road in 30 years. I went to insure it with Hagerty and as I recall they were not happy when they discovered the car's condition. But, they did let me insure it and I provided pictures, etc. and gave them a progress report on the renewal anniversary date the next year (a lot had been improved by then). This was in 1996 so I don't know if this is still possible with them, but they did insure it.

Dave Bonn
        '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Rich: But how did they value the car if it was damaged?
          sigpic
          58 Golden Hawk
          DSamborski
          Pillager, MN

Comment

We have our home owners, brand x car insurance, and the 53 driver insured by State Farm. When we bought the 40 Studebaker one call added a stated value comprehensive with no liability for under $20 for six months. They requested photos to be sent later. When it's roadworthy we will add liability. We are very pleased with State Farm.
            sigpic

Comment

In california if you have it currently registered and not on a non-op you must have it insured. You can insure it for what you think its value is and you can change that as the car progresses. The value will dictate the cost of the insurance, but with many I have had if you are will ing to pay for it, they will insure it for just about any amout you want to pay for. With in reason of course.

Document your current expenses and include your labor, come up with an invested cost thus far and take it to them and say "this what I want to insure it for."

Comment

Yes, most collector insurers, such as Hagerty and American Collectors will insure any inoperable car for fire/theft/storm for your stated value. I just discussed this with American last week. They prefer it be in your garage rather than commercial storage, but that's an option also.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

My project Lark has been insured that way with Conden and Skelly (now part of Met Life) for years on an agreed value policy. I'll up the value when I finish it.
                  sigpic
                  JohnP, driving & reviving
                  60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I have used J.C. Taylor since 1985. they have insured 2 for me that were roadworthy, but a long way from being finished. The 1st one they wanted pictures. The last one, Josh's lark, I sent a note with the serial# when I sent my priemium in. They sent me a proof of ins card for the Lark. I have 8 cars on one policy with them. I have been sending them money for 26 years and have never had a claim. So I get along with them pretty well.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by don samborski View Post
                      >>>Any suggestions?? Don
                      The agency I have my "Home & Highwayagent" may tell you one thing ...and the "adjuster" something else!!! If at all possible, keep all your receipts/records in a safe place in a separate building!!!

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Yes,
                        I have a project car insured with Hagerty
                        Mark Riesch
                        New Bern, NC

Comment

State Farm will insure your car for a non-appraised, stated value. No other qualifiers.

Lots of people here offer up "collector car" insurers without expressing the premium. But there is always talk of use restrictions on the car and things like that. With my State Farm policy, I told them the dollar amount of insurance I wanted and pay about $240 per year. No matter what happens to the car or how, I can collect the amount it is insured for.

Comment

That is eloquently said Bob G. That is what I was trying to say in my garggled inner city educated way...lol

Comment

Has anybody called their homeowners agent on these situations? Ours paid a claim on a project in the garage/shop, but our tractors, etc are also covered under homeowners.
                              Jim
                              Often in error, never in doubt
                              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X