Cool tire option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool tire option

I know alot of the folks here like the OE style alot, and I do too. But I also love the rod or old school type cars and truck.
    I am sure everyone has Coker tire on their "favorites" but I just found this place for old style hot rod tires. Very cool stuff. You can get a cool old look but on a modern carcass and custom tread grooving.

http://www.hurstracingtires.com/1093440.html

So this brings up a question for me.
    As a reminder, I am building my truck with the theme of a 16 yr old kid gets his license in 1964 ish and his first vehichle is his Grampas old ranch truck. IE my 1949-53 2R10. It is a beat old ranch/shop truck but he wants it to be a rod.

With that theme in mind and wanting it as close to era correct as possible, 1964ish, I am flip flopping on whether to use whitewalls or blackwalls. My research shows that wide whitewalls were still very normal at that time, but also that alot of kids were trying to get away from them because they were getting less and less popular at that time.

I am planning on running Big and Littles. Like 600-16 fronts and 820-16 rears.

What do you guys think? BW or WWW. {thats Wide White Walls not world wide web for you kids}?

I always put the whites to the inside.

Comment

I'd go with the blackwalls, I think that's what kids in those days would have been running, either that or white letters.
      Jeff DeWitt
      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

okay, a slight tangent from the intent of this thread, but if you have nothing better to do check out the totally white tires that Hurst custom made for one of it's customers...crazy. Junior.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

What can I say? Trucks with white walls! Got to love em!!
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

White walls are for CARS! They Never would have been used on a Truck in the 60's.

That would lose the Farm Truck/Shop Truck look, and would not even happen on a Street Truck.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Unless I built that hotrod street truck....
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

As a kid with his first car in the late 60s, I had black walls because they were cheaper. That kind of thing drove lots of what was in style for guys like me. I like wide whites, but the right wheel and tire combination with a black wall tire looks good too.
                My 52 also ran port-a-walls for several years. The first set actually laid close to the tire and looked great. The second set, not so much.
                Last edited by 52-fan; 11-08-2011, 08:03 AM.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Take your choice......
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jeds55; 11-08-2011, 08:29 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                    okay, a slight tangent from the intent of this thread, but if you have nothing better to do check out the totally white tires that Hurst custom made for one of it's customers...crazy. Junior.
                    I saw those. That was just wrong looking, I must be missing something cause those just look sick {not the ohhh thats sik kind of sick the yuck that makes me sick}

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                      As a kid with his first car in the late 60s, I had black walls because they were cheaper. That kind of thing drove lots of what was in style for guys like me. I like wide whites, but the right wheel and tire combination with a black wall tire looks good too.
                      My 52 also ran port-a-walls for several years. The first set actually laid close to the tire and looked great. The second set, not so much.
                      Please explain "port-a-walls". I am not familiar with that term. Alawys looking to up my vintage terminology.

Comment

Side note to throw in on the mix, while it is a shop/ranch truck, my teen concept is trying to hot rod it, BUT, it still has the 3/4 ton big 6 bolt pattern wheels.... I am trying to find someone to weld on drop center tubless outer rims onto my center hub wheels. But in the mean time I am still running the 5.5" two piece wheels that I just painted a redish orange with cream outer ring. If I find someone to weld on the drop center tubless rim I will run the small chrome rings.

I am leaning toward BW since the truck is more shop/ranch with a flat stakebed and NOT a Kustom with frenched in grill and headlights with all of wild paint, then WWW are for sure right.
                        My daughter LOVES the WWW, but they may look wrong with the cream lock rings.

Cool tire supplier with alot of options at Hurst.

Comment

The only one I know around is Stockton Wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by jeds55 View Post
                            Take your choice......
                            i like pic #3 wheels and tires. maybe with raised white letters.
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

They were the BEST Alan, but are now gone.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X