Getting the 52 ready for South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the 52 ready for South Bend

This was my last weekend to get my 52 Commander ready to take to South Bend (One way or another!). There was an AACA car show Saturday and since I am a member, I needed to be out there and help out. I really wanted to stay at home and work on my 52, but I felt obligated. I took my Daytona and put it on the show field around 8:30. Around 10:00 there was an announcement that my gas tank was leaking and I needed to get it off the field. The rubber hose from the gas tank to the metal tubing had deteriorated. I drove it home and put a new rubber line on it. Unfortunately, I had just filled it with gas!.

I think the Daytona knew that I wanted to be home and did it on purpose!

After I repaired the gas leak, I started working on my 52. I installed the seats and rear carpet, installed all the window frames which was a pain trying to locate the screw holes.

Sunday, I washed and used rubbing compound on the 52, then I waxed it. After that I put my new wheels and tires on it. The camera really makes the paint look much better than it is.

I also put wheel covers on it to see what it would look like. I also have 56 Olds flippers, that I will probably use.

After I had done all that, I decided to drive it over to Tom's house which is 20 miles away. I had never driven it that far before. I was surprised that it rode so well on the interstate. It was smooth and seemed to hold the road. But the valves were making noise.

Tom adjusted the valves and the carburetor. I don't know what I would do without him! Tom drove it and punched it in all 3 gears. I never had done that. It ran strong, but the column shift has to be handled very slowly. I might change it over to floor shift, but I really love the 3 on the tree for some unknown reason.

It was a good weekend!

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

I love the red wheels, wide whites and full hub cap look []

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I love the red wheels, wide whites and full hub cap look []

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Dick. Those wheels/tires really set it off. The flippers would look really nice!

Is that the original paint? It sure did shine up nice. Do you have the gas lid? If you don't, I have one I'll bring you.

Can't wait to see the car in SB. I know that all your work will pay off.

Matthew Burnette
        '59 Scotsman
        '63 Daytona
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I agree with Dick. Those wheels/tires really set it off. The flippers would look really nice!

Is that the original paint? It sure did shine up nice. Do you have the gas lid? If you don't, I have one I'll bring you.

Can't wait to see the car in SB. I know that all your work will pay off.

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Thanks Dick and Matthew. Yes I still have the gas lid. I took it off to take to the paint store to match the paint so I could paint the inner fenders.

The paint is original, but as I said the camera has covered all the bumps, nicks, scratches and blemishes! It really doesn't look that good.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Thanks Dick and Matthew. Yes I still have the gas lid. I took it off to take to the paint store to match the paint so I could paint the inner fenders.

The paint is original, but as I said the camera has covered all the bumps, nicks, scratches and blemishes! It really doesn't look that good.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Don't feel bad Leonard. Just don't get upset when you see my '59 in person. Pictures make it look a lot better than it is.

But, then again, I know of very few cars that pics don't make them look better than they are. [^] That's the original Studebaker Factory applied paint on your car, so what if it has a few imperfections? You get that 'cool factor' out of it.

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Don't feel bad Leonard. Just don't get upset when you see my '59 in person. Pictures make it look a lot better than it is.

But, then again, I know of very few cars that pics don't make them look better than they are. [^] That's the original Studebaker Factory applied paint on your car, so what if it has a few imperfections? You get that 'cool factor' out of it.

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Leonard,
                    The '52 is looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing you again at South Bend.

Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO
                    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                    Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO

Comment

Leonard,

Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO
                      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

quote: Leonard,

Gary Sanders
                        I am looking forward to seeing you and everyone on the forum at South Bend.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote: Leonard,

Gary Sanders
                          I am looking forward to seeing you and everyone on the forum at South Bend.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Don't worry about the blemishes, just drive it enjoy! I wish I could be in South Bend and meet you and see your car. Old Spot and I have been together for about 37 years and she needs refurbishing. I would love to compare notes with you.
                            Personally, for a hot rod I like the red wheel/wide white look.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
                            since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
                            sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Don't worry about the blemishes, just drive it enjoy! I wish I could be in South Bend and meet you and see your car. Old Spot and I have been together for about 37 years and she needs refurbishing. I would love to compare notes with you.
                              Personally, for a hot rod I like the red wheel/wide white look.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
                              since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
                              sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X