For Matt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
    I do however believe in the Bible's teaching of what some call the golden rule. Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31 both teach to do to others or treat others how you would like them to treat you.

just stating where I found my reasons for trying to be a good person {not always successful unfortunately, but it is my goal} and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a person who does good things for others is almost always a happier person in life.

Whether a person chooses to call it Karma, the golden rule, or a Bible principle to live by, the concept is a great policy and to be commended.

Once again you stand out as a great representative of the Studebaker community and this website.

Agree, Kelly. But I think of 'karma' mostly as a generic term, not specifically religious, although I know that's its origin. As a Christian, like you I do try to do my best; and know God does not specifically reward deeds... but it always seems that He will show favor in exchange for honest, sincere effort.

As you are finding, this community is filled with really quality folks. We don't always agree on everything (which is natural for human individuals) but for the most part we do care for each other. I also have been the benefactor of good folks here, and JDP has been very good to me more than a few times, even though we're almost complete opposites politically. He and Bob (roscomacaw) are two of our most experienced, knowledgeable, long-term, top-tier members and of great value to the Studebaker world.

Here's hoping over time you stick around and eventually meet some more great folks. I contend the SDC group is one of the best anywhere.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

You were not preachy at all. As far as the Karma thing, I'm not into the religious aspect other than to say the concept, just like the golden rule makes perfect sense. I tend to steal bits and pieces of all religions, even the ancient Egyptian ones. They have a rule that you have to answer two questions to get to the afterlife, something like this.

1. Did you enjoy the life I gave you ?
      2. Did you help others enjoy the life I gave them ?

Not that I believe in the ancient Gods of Egypt or anything, just the wisdom of the questions.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I am glad you guys took the comment with the intent I wrote it. Bob, I think disagreeing on some things is vital to a lively and interesting forum. It obviously should not get attacking someone on a personally level. I have very thick skin in life but even thicker online. Having an opinion on things is a sign of intellegence.

My dear grand father used to say "only morons have NO opinion. It is even ok to be wrong in your opinion, but you should have a REASON for the opinion and stick by it."
        A discussion should be lively and a person should feel free to share their feelings and beliefs, but of course do it in a civil manner.

Comment

I am glad you guys took the comment with the intent I wrote it. Bob, I think disagreeing on some things is vital to a lively and interesting forum. It obviously should not get attacking someone on a personally level. I have very thick skin in life but even thicker online. Having an opinion on things is a sign of intellegence.

My dear grand father used to say "only morons have NO opinion. It is even ok to be wrong in your opinion, but you should have a REASON for the opinion and stick by it."
          A discussion should be lively and a person should feel free to share their feelings and beliefs, but of course do it in a civil manner.
          Jefferson believed in a lively discussion about everything, but that was in the pre internet days when you shared a private letter.

"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "
          Thomas Jefferson

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. "
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

....Having an opinion on things is a sign of intellegence....
            I don't know about this statement...maybe one sentence too far!

Ever spent any time in law enforcement? Ever visited a prison? Ever watched the people who show up on Judge Judy? Ever serve jury duty in the O. J. trial? Heck...ever read any of my posts?
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Is that a car crusher?
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                I don't know about this statement...maybe one sentence too far!

Ever spent any time in law enforcement? Ever visited a prison? Ever watched the people who show up on Judge Judy? Ever serve jury duty in the O. J. trial? Heck...ever read any of my posts?

If you read on in that sentence, the opinion has to based on something, a REASON for the opinion. His comment was based on those idiots that you ask a thought provoking question and all you get is a shoulder shrug and an "I dunno"
                Too busy playing video games to actually read something, ponder over something, and develop a reasoning on it.

But I get where you are coming from on the OVER opinionated yet unfounded type. Maybe I lost something in my translating of the idea.

Comment

Back on track!
                  JDP, you ROCK! You made the seller happy by finding a buyer. You made Peg happy by getting her work. You made the Trucker happy by getting him a load. You made Matt happy by finding him a sweet BIG gem of a car! Oh yeah, can't forget Jerry too!
                  Carey
                  Packard Hawk

Comment

GROUP HUG TIME!!!

Mmmmwha! Mmmmwha! Mmmmwha!
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                    X