Frustration with replying to thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustration with replying to thread

Has anyone else had this experience? I have logged in and tried to reply to Jeff (DEEPNHOCK) three times to thank him for his replies to my post about body shims on a '37 coupe-express. I get it all typed out and try to post my reply and get a message that says I am not authorized to perform that function and to refresh the page and log-in again and when I do that I lose all that I've typed. So now I'm logged in and get the little screen message thanking me for logging in and I type it all over again and the same thing happens. What gives?

Tom,

There was a thread on this same subject a day or 2 ago and now seems to have vanished into the woodwork or I am just overlooking it. There is a problem, as many have experienced it, including myself. One good work around, is to make your question or response to a thread on a separate word document and once you are happy with it, do a cut and paste onto your message screen and post it.

Hope this help

Comment

The main reason I rarely reply on this forum!

Comment

I never log out if I do I might forget my pass word.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Log in and save the page into your favorites, always come in from your favorites, you should never have to log in again, Unless you come in from the SDC page.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
            Has anyone else had this experience? I have logged in and tried to reply to Jeff (DEEPNHOCK) three times to thank him for his replies to my post about body shims on a '37 coupe-express. I get it all typed out and try to post my reply and get a message that says I am not authorized to perform that function and to refresh the page and log-in again and when I do that I lose all that I've typed. So now I'm logged in and get the little screen message thanking me for logging in and I type it all over again and the same thing happens. What gives?
            Check your computer cookies settings. It may be rejecting the Forum attempt to place cookies in your setup. I had this problem some time back and I found that my new security program was rejecting all cookies unless I approved them. Changed the settings and I haven't been kicked off since.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
              Log in and save the page into your favorites, always come in from your favorites, you should never have to log in again, Unless you come in from the SDC page.
              I agree. This is how I get there evry day. It is the fastest and easiest way to go on and off of the Forum, without the use of pass words etc.
              Good Luck and
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I have been kicked out too, once in a while. Happens elsewhere, too. My tip: if you have just composed an epic screed, whether here, or in some other venue, use your mouse to highlight the whole text, and hit CTRL+C. That copies your words to Clipboard in your own machine. If the posting operation goes awry, you can navigate back to the post window, and go CTRL+V, and paste them back in. If you have further problems, you can always open an instance of Word or Notepad, and go CTRL+V there and save your work more permanently for future use.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks for the note...
                  I had to send my corporate laptop in for repairs, so I have been on an old PC (or motel PC) for the past few days..
                  All of the custom stuff we set up on out 'puters gets taken for granted...until it's gone
                  I made sure to back up my stuff before sending it in...
                  It just arrived back a half hour ago.
                  Ahhh, to have my trusty old laptop back again....
                  Happy happy Joy joy?
                  Nope... It went in Windows XP, and came back Windows Seven.
                  I have to learn everything all over again, and set up my favorites, and shortcuts...
                  My... How spoiled we get with the old school stuff...Like computers...and Studebakers
                  And I am not keyboard spastic again...searching for the delete ket and the backspace key
                  Jeff
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Also, when going from your "favorites", make sure you have checked the box, on the forum's upper right corner, just below your log in name and pass word, which say's: "remember me". Which should keep you logged in for maybe 2 to 3 + months at a time, until the forum server clears everything out.

Comment

Whenever I'm going to make a lengthy, or a complex technical reply. I use the mouse to highlight the entire text and click 'EDIT' on the toolbar, and select 'COPY' -BEFORE- hitting 'send' or 'enter', on any document or post that I consider important, or that have invested much time in the composition of.

I've learned this the hard way, after having complex text that I had spent 2 or 3 hours in composing, forever disappear into the ether.
                      Once it is in 'copy' you can retrieve it as many times a needed by simply clicking 'paste'. (but be aware, highlighting and copying anything additional will remove all previously copied material)
                      I seldom use the Clipboard function , but understand it is a more permanent form of retaining ones work, and doesn't tie up the 'copy' and 'paste' function.
                      Last edited by Jessie J.; 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        There was a thread on this same subject a day or 2 ago and now seems to have vanished into the woodwork or I am just overlooking it.
                        Yes indeed there was~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...771#post588771

besides what is here~ you may find some tips there that might help.
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...