Design Symposium at Studebaker National Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Symposium at Studebaker National Museum

'Not sure how this is going to post, but...

Here's an announcement of a cool symposium
    The Studebaker National Museum
    is having November 12, 2011:

Join Us For an Automotive Design Symposium!

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:00 p.m.

Studebaker National Museum - Weikamp Auditorium

Automotive Design: Past, Present and Future

The panel will focus on a wide variety of topics

educational and training requirements.

Panelists:
    Mark Hall - Chief Designer, Chrysler Products Design Office
    Virgil Exner, Jr. - Designer (ret.), Ford, Studebaker
    Paul Down - Industrial Design Professor, University of Notre Dame
    Del Coates - Designer (ret.), AMC, Ford, Studebaker
    John Houlihan - Designer (ret.) General Motors
    Dar Davis - Automotive Journalist
    Donna Catalano - Indiana Arts Coalition

Schedule:
    Welcome & Introductions: 1:00 PM- 1:30PM

Session I : 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Session II: 3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Reception: 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Museum Members - $15 Non-Members - $20

Includes admission to Museum, Symposium and Reception
    Please RSVP by Monday, November 7
    rsvp@studebakermuseum.org (574) 235-9714 x231
    Presented by:

The Studebaker National Museum
    The University of Notre Dame Industrial Design Department
    The Snite Museum of Art
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:00 p.m.
    Studebaker National Museum - Weikamp Auditorium

201 S. Chapin St. South Bend, IN 46601 (574) 235-9714 studebakermuseum.org
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Gee Bob! Kinda late in the game (announcement wise) for folks living a day's travel. However, I couldn't think of a better spent birthday than this. If I were to attend, and had an opportunity to pose a question, it would be this...If an economical and unlimited alternative fuel source were to be developed...would we see a resurgence of retro designs like the art deco and elegant grand old machines that flourished from the 1930's through the '50's?

Sounds like a great event and I hope it is well attended. If you had not posted this, I wouldn't have know about it.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It sounded like something that I would enjoy when I first heard of it, but not enough to drive 1500 miles for three hours of symposium.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Gee Bob! Kinda late in the game (announcement wise) for folks living a day's travel. However, I couldn't think of a better spent birthday than this. If I were to attend, and had an opportunity to pose a question, it would be this...If an economical and unlimited alternative fuel source were to be developed...would we see a resurgence of retro designs like the art deco and elegant grand old machines that flourished from the 1930's through the '50's?

Sounds like a great event and I hope it is well attended. If you had not posted this, I wouldn't have know about it.
        John, note that the reservations are due by November 7th. The actual event is nine days after this posting. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Any idea if DVDs of this gathering will be produced? While a WHOLE BUNCH of us would LOVE to attend, the realities of the day don't make that an easy thing to do.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            It sounded like something that I would enjoy when I first heard of it>>>
            The events at the museum are planned months, if not a year or more, in advance!!! Whenever you want to know what is going on at the museum, just go to our SDC website home page and click on the "Studebaker National Museum" link.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
              The events at the museum are planned months, if not a year or more, in advance!!! Whenever you want to know what is going on at the museum, just go to our SDC website home page and click on the "Studebaker National Museum" link.
              That is what I meant about "when I first heard of it." I learned of it some time ago from the SNM. It was John Clary that apparently was not aware of it. I was aware of it, but just couldn't see a 1500 mile drive for three hours of material.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That is what I meant about "when I first heard of it." I learned of it some time ago from the SNM. It was John Clary that apparently was not aware of it. I was aware of it, but just couldn't see a 1500 mile drive for three hours of material.
                Sorry Gary!!! I now see I connected my "SPIELSDC Board of Directors last year gave the Studebaker National MuseumMONEYStudebaker National Museum a FREE link from our SDC Website home page to theirs to "help promote" the Museum through the Internet!!! Who knows, if that were done, possibly the Museum would reciprocate and give SDC a FREE link from their excellent new Website to ours, thereby increasing Internet traffic to ours and hopefully lead to increased SDC Membership in the process!!!

At this critical time, why are so many "opportunities" being overlooked that may help revitalize our Club for the "Next 50 Years"???

Comment

Well...blast it all! I am embarrassed. This is one of those threads I posted in just to participate. Of all the times I chatter on about something I should merely observe and be quiet...now you guys pay attention. Talk about feeling like a brown shoe at a formal gathering (credit the late George Goebel).

My comment about the announcement being late in regard to time was not a complaint against Bob Palma. It was merely an observation. As for me not being aware of it...the blank expression often found on my face is a sure indication that not being aware of things is very normal.

If I lived near South Bend, I would love to attend. One thought for our tech savvy members (especially the younger members), is the possibility of setting up "Webinar" symposiums with guests. This could be a way to have participants without the travel expenses. The price of admission and participation could be a donation to the museum.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Clarification on Studebaker Drivers Club/Studebaker National Museum

In "Welcome's" post there are three points that require clarification.

First, the Studebaker National Museum site does provide a direct link to the Studebaker Drivers Club and has for ages. Second, the Studebaker Drivers Club site also provides a direct link to the Studebaker National Museum. Third, the money that SDC gave the Museum did not come from the SDC budget but rather the Board of Directors approved the recommendations of its Capital Cost Committee for Museum support and this money comes direct from an account set up years ago expressly for this purpose.

Additionally, members will also find links in the Museum site to AOAI and ASC, thereby exposing readers to additional elements of our ever-growing Studebaker family.

The CCC receives its money from SDC members strictly on an OPTIONAL check-off basis which is contributed when members renew their annual membership. It does not come from the SDC operating budget. At renewal time, members also have the option to donate to the Restoration Fund as well as the Studebaker Foundation.

For general information, the SDC Capital Cost Committee is currently chaired by Bob Henning and its membership consists of Max Gretencord and myself. The appointments are the responsibility of the SDC President. The original mission of the CCC, which I set up in the mid 80s when I was SDC National President, was to assist the Museum in the acquisition of needed requirements that would otherwise not be included in an annual budget that had limited revenue. As a result, SDC members can take credit for providing essential and valuable assistance in the purchase of the Museum semi and its truck, internal climate control needs for the original Archives Center, ongoing audio/visual updates, and much more. For this support, SDC members can be justly proud. The relationship between the two organizations is excellent.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                    X