58PH - Leather, Airbox, fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for your advice.

Mike: Yes, I have 2 PHs registered with you. One I hope to drive to SB, the other is now in primer, engine with s/c finished, upholstery ratty. I was not aware that there was a combination of leather and vinyl used on the door panels - I thought just the outside arm rests were vinyl. Production Speedsters had vinyl doors panels as well, while the 14 show cars were completely leather.

N8 - looked at leather web site - looks very interesting and possible. It appears the the process (i.e. putting moisture back in, taking old finish off, prepping and filling and redying will take longer than I have time for, so I guess the last steps will have wait. I did not intend to have the car judged anyway.

Greg: I last saw Don at our annual swap meet (now in Badenoch). There's a good write up in Old Autos in the latest issue. Old Toastmasters friend Reg Hillary (now 87) gave a talk on winning the Shell 4000/ Trans-Canada Rally in 1961. He was the co-driver of the winning Lark.

Thank you all again.

Paul

Comment

Thank you all for your advice.

Mike: Yes, I have 2 PHs registered with you. One I hope to drive to SB, the other is now in primer, engine with s/c finished, upholstery ratty. I was not aware that there was a combination of leather and vinyl used on the door panels - I thought just the outside arm rests were vinyl. Production Speedsters had vinyl doors panels as well, while the 14 show cars were completely leather.

N8 - looked at leather web site - looks very interesting and possible. It appears the the process (i.e. putting moisture back in, taking old finish off, prepping and filling and redying will take longer than I have time for, so I guess the last steps will have wait. I did not intend to have the car judged anyway.

Greg: I last saw Don at our annual swap meet (now in Badenoch). There's a good write up in Old Autos in the latest issue. Old Toastmasters friend Reg Hillary (now 87) gave a talk on winning the Shell 4000/ Trans-Canada Rally in 1961. He was the co-driver of the winning Lark.

Thank you all again.

Paul

Comment

Hi Bob,
        I will dig my Truck farmers badge out and display in my toy cabinet on my desk at home in the office.

Good luck with the dinner. Chuck Nagle was always good fun to be around and was always with Earl when I lived state side. This getting older thing is a bit of a bugger. His daughter married an Australian in the early 1990's

Say hi to him from the Ozzie that lived in Toronto in the early 1990's

I hope Lester Schmidt is going to be there as well.

I would seriously love to be in SB next week, as my emphasis has changed to early Studebakers rather than those late common type cars !! So I am low on knowlwdge wanting more. They basically drive like trucks anyway.... The Thursday show is great for that, plus catching up with old friends. In 2002 I was totally amazed at how many really superb cars were on the field.

My mother is comming over from Oz in August and we have booked a 3 week holiday catching the ferry to Northern Spain and then exploring and generally heading over towards Andora through the Pirinees and then on up thru central France, to the battlefields of Flanders and one of my grandfathers gong sites. We leave via Cherbourg in Normandy.
        Weather we survive that long with my mother in the car, is another thing. Is it cool to tie your mother to a roof rack. Do they make factory roof racks for 1937 Studebakers with mother tie down and gag straps!!

It should be a fun trip in my 1937 Australian built Dictator with nothing booked apart from our arival and departure ferrys. This will be the first time I have driven RHD in a LHD country.

I certainly miss my Packard Hawk, and can honestly say out of the 60 or 70 Studebakers I have owned it is the only car I wish I still owned.

I do have the 1995 Stude News somewhere. I am still a member of my local club back in Oz as I am a firm believer in supporting your local car club.

How is life in retirement treating you?

Regards
        Greg

Greg Diffen
        Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
        1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
        1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
        1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
        1988 Avanti Convertible
        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi Bob,
          I will dig my Truck farmers badge out and display in my toy cabinet on my desk at home in the office.

Good luck with the dinner. Chuck Nagle was always good fun to be around and was always with Earl when I lived state side. This getting older thing is a bit of a bugger. His daughter married an Australian in the early 1990's

Say hi to him from the Ozzie that lived in Toronto in the early 1990's

I hope Lester Schmidt is going to be there as well.

I would seriously love to be in SB next week, as my emphasis has changed to early Studebakers rather than those late common type cars !! So I am low on knowlwdge wanting more. They basically drive like trucks anyway.... The Thursday show is great for that, plus catching up with old friends. In 2002 I was totally amazed at how many really superb cars were on the field.

My mother is comming over from Oz in August and we have booked a 3 week holiday catching the ferry to Northern Spain and then exploring and generally heading over towards Andora through the Pirinees and then on up thru central France, to the battlefields of Flanders and one of my grandfathers gong sites. We leave via Cherbourg in Normandy.
          Weather we survive that long with my mother in the car, is another thing. Is it cool to tie your mother to a roof rack. Do they make factory roof racks for 1937 Studebakers with mother tie down and gag straps!!

It should be a fun trip in my 1937 Australian built Dictator with nothing booked apart from our arival and departure ferrys. This will be the first time I have driven RHD in a LHD country.

I certainly miss my Packard Hawk, and can honestly say out of the 60 or 70 Studebakers I have owned it is the only car I wish I still owned.

I do have the 1995 Stude News somewhere. I am still a member of my local club back in Oz as I am a firm believer in supporting your local car club.

How is life in retirement treating you?

Regards
          Greg

Greg Diffen
          Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
          1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
          1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
          1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
          1988 Avanti Convertible
          Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine