"Wheel" ring install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wheel" ring install?

I am re-installing a temporary set of tires as rollers on the "wheels" I do have on my 2R10.

I asked how to remove the outter ring before and I got a couple of "read your manual" posts. That was great. I bought a manual, looked up wheel and tires, and saw lots of cool pics and descriptions on how to do a 2R16-17 BIG wheel. Not much on my 16" 2 piece wheels with the NON-split outter ring.

No problem though, I got enough feed back to easily get them off after the "notch" and "cutaway" was explained and I saw the way that worked.

But now I am re-installing them, and that stinking ring just will not go back over the rim. Broke 2 screw driver tips {big SDs too} and bent 2 wheel spoons {yes I own good quality wheel spoons} and have RUINDED my nice new paint on the wheel and trim ring.....any ideas?

I started by pushing on the ring between the 2 cutaways opposite of the notch, then I have tried prying on the ring at the notch while hitting the ring with a rubber mallet, then a 2# hammer, then I tried prying right next to the cut away with the same 2 hammers....all to no avail.

I then resorted to scraping all of the new paint off of the matting edges of the ring and rim...still nada.

Am I missing something? came off so easily....

Stiff new tires, probably.
    Did you deflate the tubes all the way?
    You have to push the ring down against the tire, so the half of the ring is lower than the rim.
    Quite a bit lower. I squished the tire down with two people and they also held the lower half of the ring down to the tire with their feet.
    Once the notches and the dips have passed each other the ring can be pulled pack (still with a squished sidewall) until the ring clears the lip.
    Then... Put it in a tire cage and inflate it.
    I never did it without scraping up the paint a bit...
    But...Hey.... It's a truck
    Jeff

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
    I am re-installing a temporary set of tires as rollers on the "wheels" I do have on my 2R10.

I asked how to remove the outter ring before and I got a couple of "read your manual" posts. That was great. I bought a manual, looked up wheel and tires, and saw lots of cool pics and descriptions on how to do a 2R16-17 BIG wheel. Not much on my 16" 2 piece wheels with the NON-split outter ring.

No problem though, I got enough feed back to easily get them off after the "notch" and "cutaway" was explained and I saw the way that worked.

But now I am re-installing them, and that stinking ring just will not go back over the rim. Broke 2 screw driver tips {big SDs too} and bent 2 wheel spoons {yes I own good quality wheel spoons} and have RUINDED my nice new paint on the wheel and trim ring.....any ideas?

I started by pushing on the ring between the 2 cutaways opposite of the notch, then I have tried prying on the ring at the notch while hitting the ring with a rubber mallet, then a 2# hammer, then I tried prying right next to the cut away with the same 2 hammers....all to no avail.

I then resorted to scraping all of the new paint off of the matting edges of the ring and rim...still nada.

Am I missing something? came off so easily....
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Old used tires just as rollers to tow it down and get it weighed. New tubes, still totally deflated. Tires push down completely clear of the rings.

I actually just got my first one on.....took a 5 single jack, no prying, just a serious wolopp

Not too stressed about the scratches, not only is it a truck, this is temporary. I am hoping to have tubless drop center outers welded on eventually and powder coat them. Still would have been nice to have them look nice as possible....I think I will get the next ones better.

Comment

Wolopp

Now that's a Stude word if I ever heard one
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Kelly, If you need an extra pair of hands today give me a call.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I could use an extra vertibrae or two...
            Thanks Warren, Im bout done today. Shepherding call tonite I need to prepare for.

Comment

Working...
            X