Fender skirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender skirts

My first Stude was a hand me down from my dad. It was a '55 President, 259/Automatic that like many of the 40+ cars I've owned I'd love to have back. It had fender skirts that were about 7 or 8 inches tall. I don't recall any of the '55's around today showing these.

Many of the '55 President State 4 door sedans have the fender skirt that just fits the fender opening. We have two in our Ozark Trails Chapter including mine.

Comment

You can see the fender skirt in my signature picture with my '63 Champ.

Comment

My '55 President State Sedan (Land Cruiser) came with them, but when I put on 6" wheels and 225 tires, the skirts no longer fit the car. I've still got them, somewhere.

Comment

The President in '55 came with fender skirts as a standad item.

Comment

I have some NOS coupe or hardtop skirts.

I've painted them twice, and decided not to put them on just yet. You have to drill holes in the fenders at the bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
              The President in '55 came with fender skirts as a standad item.
              I didnt know that and I'm surprised. I scored a very nice set of skirts at the Hershey fall meet for my Speedster (maybe) and honestly they were the first ones I've ever seen.
              Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

He meant standard on sedans not CKs =and a totally different type than the ones you bought

Comment

The concensus as to what skirts (factory or otherwise) do for apperances on C-K cars has been less than enthusiatic in the past.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't recall ever having a car with fender skirts. However, I have seen many and there seem to be as many ways of fastening them to the car as there are skirts. I have seen some that are larger than the wheel openings and require holes drilled for mounting or some type of clamping mechanism to draw them to the fender. Those types often leave marks in the paint. I have seen some with a type of rubber or felt like gasket that fit perfectly inside the wheel opening. Of course, as soon as the fender or the skirt gets warped, a dent or ding, all bets are off as to fitting well until it is repaired. As a kid growing up in the rural south with lots of rutted "wash board" dirt roads...it was not unusual to find an occasional lost fender skirt lying in the road or ditch.

I wonder if the pay-off in looks is worth the extra effort to keep them clean and in place.
                    Last edited by jclary; 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I kinda agree. I bought the set at Hershey because it was actually for my car. I go to most of the Carlisle and Hershey events because I'm lucky enough to live pretty close. I can find all kinds of stuff (technical term familar to car-guys) for my Vette, Chevelle or even my 37 Chevy but finding anything at all for my 55 Studebaker is a very rare occasion. I guess I should feel lucky that I bouight a complete car.

In any event I suspect that I'll restore the skirts then consider the possibility of marking up the paint, look at pictures of Speedsters with them on, sigh and then hang them on the barn wall.

murray

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                      The concensus as to what skirts (factory or otherwise) do for apperances on C-K cars has been less than enthusiatic in the past.
                      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Well, at least now they're in the hands of someone who appreciates them for what they are as much as what they could be.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                        X