Seat Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Question?

So I am looking thru my Studebaker parts catalog and I am looking at the seat pages. They only show 1 seat. Pages 536 and 537 only shows one style of seat and 2 part numbers, one for a left hand drive and one for a right hand drive.

My problem is that the seat it shows is NOT my seat. The seat it shows is a 1 piece base and back that is all tube frame with an angle gusset between base and back and it has a slide adjustment. The seat in my truck has a separate base and back. The base adjusts with 3 holes on each side on the bottom side of the base and 2 pins that stick up from the floor. You lift up on the front of the seat, pull forward or push back and then push down to snap it back over the pins. The back is hinged at the top to the cab and then interlocks with the base. When you adjust the seat forward or backwards the back of the seat doesn't actually move forward it just kind of reclines or goes upright.

Very odd. I am quite sure it is the factory seat, but it is not even shown in the parts book.

Is there something wierd with my model that it has a different seat? I saw the same seat as mine at the PSW zone meet on saturday in a guy named Steven Richardson's 2R truck.
    Whats up?

See Note 20 in your parts book on page 518. Serial numbers listed are considered to be starting serial numbers for 1950 model year vehicles. So 1949 models had the fixed seat, 1950-on had the slider. Except that I think they returned to the fixed seat in the 1953 models (?) and the Scotsman. There is also a service bulletin with instructions for installing the slider seat in earlier trucks, OR installing the fixed seat in later trucks. (Although I don't know why anyone would want to do that!)
    D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

Mine is a 1952 2R10-22 and it has the fixed seat. I would not mind finding a slider seat. I did not read every page of my parts book, so I did not see the special note. I will look that up.

I guess this thread was less about needing help, but just curious as to what is up. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW Dwain, my westie Maddy says hi to your "doggies in the window" lol
      Last edited by kmac530; 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Looking back through some of your previous posts, the serial number shown for this truck is a 1949 number. You say the ID tag is located in the engine compartment? It should be on the driver's step riser. One wonders if some re-badging occured at some point? But no matter; the trucks are all pretty much the same, and once you get the title it's no longer an issue.
        D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

Wish I'd known this when you were here. I've got the tube frame with adjustable base. I don't know if I have apprpriate cushions tho.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
            Looking back through some of your previous posts, the serial number shown for this truck is a 1949 number. You say the ID tag is located in the engine compartment? It should be on the driver's step riser. One wonders if some re-badging occured at some point? But no matter; the trucks are all pretty much the same, and once you get the title it's no longer an issue.
            Are you sure I said anything about numbers in my engine compartment? I asked about where the numbers are on my engine block to ID what I had. All of my posts have been about my tags being in my door step area on the driverside. It is a 1952 by the serial number. I even posted pics of the tags in my first post. Never mentioned anything about engine compartment.

My tag serial number is: R10 8352
            model number on that tag says : 2R10-22
            Gross GVW: 6100lbs

The other tag on the rear [art of the step well reads
            Model- 2R - C 2
            Cab No. 52265
            Trim No. 6033
            Paint No. 2202

I hope I didn't post anything other than that.....If I did it was a senior moment and I may need to have my meds checked because that is the only numbers I have.

Comment

I've got the adjustable (sliding) seat frame with cushions for sale. The cushions need to be recovered.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5791.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1670922
              Rick
              Kingman, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                Wish I'd known this when you were here. I've got the tube frame with adjustable base. I don't know if I have apprpriate cushions tho.
                I think I will stick with my seat as it is actually in totally repairable shape. The seat back has all of the padding and does not even have a hole or tear in the vinyl. It is brittle and needs replacing, but it good enough for a pattern. The base still has much of the padding so the upholsterer can see the shape when he re-does it.

On the other hand, a good reason to come back up and hang out with you and drool over some of your projects....I can think of alot of worse ways to spend a day.

But I will give my OE seat a chance for now, but knowing you have one I may be able to purchase is good option if my bottom frame ends up being unsalvageable like if there ends up being a bunch of rusted springs or rotted frame parts.

As always, Thanks guys for your help'
                Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                  Are you sure I said anything about numbers in my engine compartment? I asked about where the numbers are on my engine block to ID what I had. All of my posts have been about my tags being in my door step area on the driverside. It is a 1952 by the serial number.
                  Sorry Kelly, I guess I misread about the numbers under the hood. I do remember now when we were trying to identify the engine. But I'm really curious about how this trucks 1952 model year was determined. If there is only four numbers in the serial number, it has to be a '49. I see some other items that identify a 1949, such as the early ash tray, and what appears to be the type A gauges. Again, this is probably all a moot point, just thought you might like to know.
                  D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

Working...
                  X