Unbelievably small world in Studebakerdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbelievably small world in Studebakerdom

So the November 2011 Turning Wheels arrives today and I'm reading a description of the various cover cars.

Last weekend, of course, we were in upstate Vermont, where we'd never been, for our son Joe's wedding. We stayed in Colchester Vermont, a bedroom community north of Burlington. I like to study local maps of areas we visit, and noted the Winooski River flowing around Burlington, and a small town named Winooski as well. 'Even drove through it in the course of being there, but it was really small.

Forum participant Paul Johnson read of our Vermont adventure and sent me a PM describing how he rescued a 1960 4x4 Studebaker wrecker from former Studebaker dealer Myers Motors "of Burlington" a long time ago.

Then, the description of the inside-rear-cover cars of today's November Turning Wheels says the 1963 Hawk thereon was delivered new by Myers Auto Service in Winooski, Vermont!

Amazing. Small world indeed. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    So the November 2011 Turning Wheels arrives today and I'm reading a description of the various cover cars.

Last weekend, of course, we were in upstate Vermont, where we'd never been, for our son Joe's wedding. We stayed in Colchester Vermont, a bedroom community north of Burlington. I like to study local maps of areas we visit, and noted the Winooski River flowing around Burlington, and a small town named Winooski as well. 'Even drove through it in the course of being there, but it was really small.

Forum participant Paul Johnson read of our Vermont adventure and sent me a PM describing how he rescued a 1960 4x4 Studebaker wrecker from former Studebaker dealer Myers Motors "of Burlington" a long time ago.

Then, the description of the inside-rear-cover cars of today's November Turning Wheels says the 1963 Hawk thereon was delivered new by Myers Auto Service in Winooski, Vermont!

Amazing. Small world indeed. BP
    Interesting indeed. When I picked up the truck Archie Myers also had a nice '63 GT and a nice '64 GT in the same storage building and they were also for sale.
    I believe the building was in South Burlington, but in looking at my archives I find that his business address was Winsooki. He was true to Studebaker- became a Gravely dealer post Studebaker.
    One other thing I learned the hard way in buying this truck was no one told me that the hook on the end of the cable over the boom had to be secured in the bed by hooking it over a bar then taking up the slack in the cable. Somewhere in the night the hook bounced out of the bed (rough riding sucker) and burned off.

This what the truck looked like the next morning in Virginia

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

In case anyone is wondering, that looks like an IHC (International) pickup bed.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Went to Google Images and found this:

Came from here originally: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-stickers-too/
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
          Went to Google Images and found this:

Came from here originally: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-stickers-too/

Holy crap, Joe; that's on the rear of an Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaire with R-engine power! I want it!

Great find! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Holy crap, Joe; that's on the rear of an Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaire with R-engine power! I want it!

Great find! BP

I got you the picture, now if I find one for sale I'll be sure to let you know!

It is indeed a small Studebaker world, isn't it?
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Archie Myers ran the Studebaker dealership in Winooski, Vermont, which covered the greater Burlington area, from the late 1950's until the end in 1966. He then took on Fiat until the early 1970's at which time the City of Winooski went through a federally sponsored "Urban Renewal" program which tore down the cental business district and made it into a parking lot, this included the building his dealership was located in. That same area has recently been through a second "renewal" and is now in the center of a large traffic circle. Archie kept his Studebaker parts inventory and moved it to a storage building he owned on West Canal Street. I went there a number of times in the 1980's trying to buy parts, but Archie had this notion that the parts were going to be worth big money some day and he really didn't seem to want to part with anything. With that said in the late 80's or perhaps early 90's someone from down south was able to come in and "cherry pick" the inventory and ended up with much of the good stuff; NOS chome, etc. I've been told that there was some sort of problem with the deal and Archie never got paid for the parts. Needless to say after that he really didn't want too much to do with the parts business. After Archie died the parts were moved to his son-in-law's barn in Georgia, Vermont and were eventually sold through an ad in Turning Wheels. I had the good fortune of being able to buy the inventory which included some of the dealership paperwork, such as several of the dealer sales agreements with Studebaker. Sadly two weeks before they sold the inventory his son threw out all of the dealership Studebaker sales records, thinking that nobody would have any interest in them. Oddly the Fiat sales records from the early 70's survived. If you happen to have a vehicle sold by Myers and want photocopies of the dealership agreements, letterhead, etc. please send me a PM and I'll see what I can come up with.
              Last edited by dpson; 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM.
              Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                Archie Myers ran the Studebaker dealership in Winooski, Vermont, which covered the greater Burlington area, from the late 1950's until the end in 1966. He then took on Fiat until the early 1970's at which time the City of Winooski went through a federally sponsored "Urban Renewal" program which tore down the cental business district and made it into a parking lot, this included the building his dealership was located in. That same area has recently been through a second "renewal" and is now in the center of a large traffic circle. Archie kept his Studebaker parts inventory and moved it to a storage building he owned on West Canal Street. I went there a number of times in the 1980's trying to buy parts, but Archie had this notion that the parts were going to be worth big money some day and he really didn't seem to want to part with anything. With that said in the late 80's or perhaps early 90's someone from down south was able to come in and "cherry pick" the inventory and ended up with much of the good stuff; NOS chome, etc. I've been told that there was some sort of problem with the deal and Archie never got paid for the parts. Needless to say after that he really didn't want too much to do with the parts business. After Archie died the parts were moved to his son-in-law's barn in Georgia, Vermont and were eventually sold through an ad in Turning Wheels. I had the good fortune of being able to buy the inventory which included some of the dealership paperwork, such as several of the dealer sales agreements with Studebaker. Sadly two weeks before they sold the inventory his son threw out all of the dealership Studebaker sales records, thinking that nobody would have any interest in them. Oddly the Fiat sales records from the early 70's survived. If you happen to have a vehicle sold by Myers and want photocopies of the dealership agreements, letterhead, etc. please send me a PM and I'll see what I can come up with.
                Thanks for "the rest of the story". I had made Archie an offer for the parts when I was there, but as you say, he wasn't interested in selling. There was truly some gold there. The truck and the two Hawks were in that storage building.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                  Geeze, Dan; thanks so much for that report.

I assume, then, that locating the Serial Number of that white 1964 Daytona Wagonaire wouldn't be possible, in that records of its original sale were among those destroyed?

Phooey! Armed with a Serial Number, I would think it might be possible to track down the car, since it appears very "extant" in Joe Robert's Hemmings link.

And with your post, the small world to which I referred got even smaller! I can't believe it: You reference Archie's Studebaker parts ultimately going to a son-in-law's barn in Georgia, Vermont.

Well, Georgia, Vermont is the actual location of the church in which our son was married ten days ago! I thought it was a long enough shot knowing of and seeing another reference to Winooski in Studebaker-land, and now you mention little Georgia!

This is so "cool." Thanks for taking the time to post your report, Dan. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Vermont, too short though it was. BP

Comment

Small world, indeed. My ancestors came from Burlington, Vermont. The Green Mountain Boys walked those streets and later, those same streets hosted Studebakers. Now I hafta go for a visit
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Bob, Sheila has moved my TW's to the basement and I'm supposed to be working in my upstairs office, but I'm certain I remember that Wagonaire as being judged behind my former '63 Skytop at the South Bend International meet in '02 (at Notre Dame stadium parking lot). I was out there in '97 too--was the show at ND then too? I clearly remember the Wagonaire and the Winooski, VT plate, as Sheila's favorite uncle went to St. Michael's College near there. I am pretty certain I asked the owner if the car was factory-built with the "R" engine and he said 'no', but it looks bone-stock and is a beautiful car. You might check the '02 National Meet TW issue for the owner's name.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                        Bob, Sheila has moved my TW's to the basement and I'm supposed to be working in my upstairs office, but I'm certain I remember that Wagonaire as being judged behind my former '63 Skytop at the South Bend International meet in '02 (at Notre Dame stadium parking lot). I was out there in '97 too--was the show at ND then too? I clearly remember the Wagonaire and the Winooski, VT plate, as Sheila's favorite uncle went to St. Michael's College near there. I am pretty certain I asked the owner if the car was factory-built with the "R" engine and he said 'no', but it looks bone-stock and is a beautiful car. You might check the '02 National Meet TW issue for the owner's name.
                        Excellent, Bill. I'll check it out. I can't imagine anyone ever forgetting an encounter with a town named Winooski! Thanks. BP

Comment

I believe the white 63 wagon is owned by Larry Golub of Rupert, VT. He knew Archie Myers for many years. As I recall that car didn't come from Archie's dealership, Larry got the NOS dealer emblem from Archie and added it to the car after the fact. Here is a related link from HMN: http://www.hemmingsdigital.com/hemmi...10/?pg=61#pg61 .
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

More about the white wagonaire

Great find! BP

This car belongs to Larry Golub of Longwood, Florida and West Rupert, Vermont. He keeps it at his summer place in VT. It did not come from Archie Myers originally but from Florida. It does have an R motor but I don't recall if it's an R1 or R2. I've emailed Larry to find out and will let you know. Some years ago Larry introduced me to Archie when he still had a 66 Wagonaire in his garage. Based on the serial number it was the last Wagonaire built and either the 4th or 5th last Studebaker built. Archie had kept it all those years because of its history but was willing to sell it to me. It would have required far too much money to bring it up to show condition so I passed on it. Maybe Larry knows where it went. I also have an Archie Myers dealer sticker that he gave me.
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                              This car belongs to Larry Golub of Longwood, Florida and West Rupert, Vermont. He keeps it at his summer place in VT. It did not come from Archie Myers originally but from Florida. It does have an R motor but I don't recall if it's an R1 or R2. I've emailed Larry to find out and will let you know. Some years ago Larry introduced me to Archie when he still had a 66 Wagonaire in his garage. Based on the serial number it was the last Wagonaire built and either the 4th or 5th last Studebaker built. Archie had kept it all those years because of its history but was willing to sell it to me. It would have required far too much money to bring it up to show condition so I passed on it. Maybe Larry knows where it went. I also have an Archie Myers dealer sticker that he gave me.
                              Stu Chapman
                              Thank you so much, Stu; please do let me know what you find out. I just checked MapQuest and see that we drove maybe 30 miles east of West Rupert when we went to Bennington! Thanks again. Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X