Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockinhawk
    replied
    Jamie, did you get the paperwork I sent?

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    I think a T-5 is in line for Betty in the future. At the moment, I have a 58 Commander that belongs to a certain 16 year old that needs the gas tank cleaned out. If I don't get it done soon, my son may turn into an alien and disintegrate me with his Aludium 236 explosive space modulator.

"If you aren't a stickler for originality, and you don't mind a floor shift, the T-5 swap is getting popular, and there are conversion kits available. The T-5's are available at junk yards at very reasonable prices now, too."

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    I think Betty got scared sleeping in the darkness of your garage. When I went to leave work last night, I noticed that I has no low beam headlights. She must have blown them trying to figure out where she was. I know I made some folks mad driving home with only high beams.

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
    Betty has gone soft sleeping in my garage..............

Leave a comment:

• whacker
    replied
    If you aren't a stickler for originality, and you don't mind a floor shift, the T-5 swap is getting popular, and there are conversion kits available. The T-5's are available at junk yards at very reasonable prices now, too.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...install-how-to

Leave a comment:

• Bamajak
    replied
    Betty has gone soft sleeping in my garage..............

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    My Lark sounds so sweet at highway speeds with barely any mufflers and two and a quarter inch pipes, I have to drive it hard. Someone once told me that the engine in my Lark does not run like a 259. I tend to agree. It seems quite a bit stronger. Maybe it's time for a Doug Nash 5 speed.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Jamie, you're just way too rough on Studebaker transmissions!

BTW, look for your mug shot in the December Turning Wheels.

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Studebakers Northwest specializes in rebuilds like Bob had done. SNW brought the hard to find parts from WA to South Bend. Our Transmission guru " Doc" G , WA state, along with Gord R, Alberta, and intersted parties did the rebuild on that T 86 in our swap meet stall at the South Bend meet a few years back.

studebakersnorthwest.com

Leave a comment:

• Ron Dame
    replied
    The T-90 is a T-86 but with a straight cut first gear. This is what I used on my T-90...it has nothing on the overdrive, but is pretty good overall along with the Stude shop manual.

http://www.willystech.com/wt/T90Rebu...T90rebuild.htm

Originally posted by (S) View Post
    The T 86 O/H procedures is in most general shop manuals, the 1959 - 64 Studebaker shop manual covers them well with the 'latest' updated info.

We have a good batch of inspected USED parts and NOS parts to make them like new. Inspected/overhauled units are also available.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Mine was fixed at the '07 SB Meet by some great folks who took mercy on a clueless stranger. Check this thread:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t-SB-Wednesday!

Actually, an old-school transmission shop should be able to do it if you have one. Alternatively, it would not be the end of the world to ship it to one of our Stude shops to get rebuilt. Might be worth it just to know it was done right.

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    OK, so when this is what the OD looks like inside, what is done to fix it? I think I am in that exact situation myself.

Mike, I pm'd you before seeing this, so please keep that in mind after putting out your efforts for me.

And how do I find someone that can do this work for me? After being a member of the local SDC for a few years, I don't think any of them can do this kind of work, and I have asked.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    I sure am glad you posted that second picture, Bob! At first, I thought you were telling us that we would either find the gear out of focus, or we needed our glasses adjusted until I scrolled down and saw the second picture!
    LOL! In the first picture I was trying to show a close-up of the twisted splines. I'm still to this day trying to get decent at taking pictures

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Got parts?

The T 86 O/H procedures is in most general shop manuals, the 1959 - 64 Studebaker shop manual covers them well with the 'latest' updated info.

We have a good batch of inspected USED parts and NOS parts to make them like new. Inspected/overhauled units are also available.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Here is what you will likely find when you open it up:

As you noted, the rest of the trans. will continue on and function just fine (of course, you wouldn't want to do that).
    I sure am glad you posted that second picture, Bob! At first, I thought you were telling us that we would either find the gear out of focus, or we needed our glasses adjusted until I scrolled down and saw the second picture!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Here is what you will likely find when you open it up:

As you noted, the rest of the trans. will continue on and function just fine (of course, you wouldn't want to do that).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X