Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rrausch
    replied
    Jamie, I'm in a similar boat--rebuilding a 3-speed T86 W/ O.D. I need to buy a Studey Shop Manual, but so far no one has been able to tell me which one to buy. Do you have any suggestions as to which one would give me the best info and tips? I've rebuilt (Chevy) 3 and 4-speed trannys before, so I'm somewhat comfortable pulling gears and bearings and syncronizers and shafts out and getting them back in the case so that they work. But a Shop Manual would help me tremendously.

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    This was an unknown condition transmission when I put it in the car. I was full when I put it in back in March. I need to go through it anyway, it had some jumping out of second gear issues.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Classic symptom of blown O/D cluster. Probably ran dry; easy to do since it's separate from the trans. oil.

Same exact thing happened to my Lark wagon.

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    started a topic Who says Studebakers aren't tough?

Who says Studebakers aren't tough?

I went to Charlotte this morning to drop off a Studebaker and to pick mine up. Now my Lark has been idle for a few months and knew that the carb would be dry. We got her cranked and off I went, headed to Raleigh so I could do my eight hours for my wonderful employer. About 15 minutes of highway driving, about 70mph in overdrive, I noticed that the car was slowing down, kind of like the brakes were dragging. All of a sudden, BANG, the rear tires chirped and the car came out of overdrive. Well, I did not see any parts coming from under the car and I eased off of the road. No oil leaking (well the engine leaks a little). I decided that I would press on, cautiously. I eased Betty up to 50,55,60,65 then 75. Three thousand rpms and the old girl was singing right along. I made it about 150 miles without incident. The transmission is making some "different" noises but she should carry me home tonight. I wonder what I broke. I guess I'll swap my T-86 non overdrive tranny back in the car and tear this one down and see what's up.
    Needless to say, I still get a kick out of passing some of the fancier, high priced cars and watching the drivers try to figure out what just passed them.
    Betty is a tough old girl!!
Working...
X