Wagon rear quarter glass gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagon rear quarter glass gaskets

I couldn't find the recent thread where we talked about the gaskets for the fixed rear glass gaskets on Stude station wagons.

Anyway, the news is tha Ed graciously sent me a sample of a gasket he'd had made and had never had a chance to check as to it's fit. I'm happy to report that the stuff was dead nuts on as far as matching the original stuff that's on my '58 wagons rear glasses (which happen to be out right now). In comparing the old to the new, it's obvious that Stude used a rope caulk (Dum-Dum) IN the glass channel as well as in the channel that fits on the frame edge.
    I think it's safe to assume that this rubber would be good back thru the '54 Conestogas. Probably Lark wagons with no reveal mouldings as well, but I'm too lazy to go check the part numbers to see if they're the same.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

This is wonderful news!

Ed, any idea when you can have this available?

Comment

not to rain on the parade...

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
      I think it's safe to assume that this rubber would be good back thru the '54 Conestogas. Probably Lark wagons with no reveal mouldings as well, but I'm too lazy to go check the part numbers to see if they're the same.
      Just to be sure- we are talking rear quarter, and NOT tailgate, right?
      I ask because you meantion reveal moulding. That puzzled me.

But anyway- in that case-- don't be too sure of that application. I don't have a camera to prove it, but I just went and looked at the real deal- in 1:1 scale. Remember that '54-'56 wagons, '57 Pelhams/Parkviews and '57/8 Scotsman are all two door bodies. As such their rear quarter glass seal is a bit different. The front is notched for the track the glass slides in. This is not to say it won't partially work for us D body owners~ anything is better then what we've got right now!!!
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Rear Quarter Window Seal for '57-'58 "P" Body Station Wagons

Bob, 1320142 W/S for (2) will only fit 1957-1958 "P" Body 4 Door Wagons.
        The '60-'62 "P" Body Wagons get 1337166 W/S for (2).

Neither are applicable to '54 to '59 "D" Body 2 dr. Wagons, which get:

305530 for (2) on '54 to '59 "D" Body 2 dr. Wagons
        and 1336136 & 137 for the '60-'62 "D" Body 2 dr. Wagons.
        Remember that there actually WERE a few '62 "D" Bodies.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 10-21-2011, 05:02 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well then - there you have it. I'd forgotten about the slider glasses. SO 57-58 Peabodys is better'n nuttin. And Matthew, he's already got the stuff. My pair's on the way. And judging by the pretty good originals that I took out - these gaskets - being a straight extrusion - will buckle up on the inside at the corners. Outside flap countours nicely.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll check the prints next week to see what the differences are between the various part numbers. In any case we should have the seals available soon. Ed Reynolds

Comment

Country Sedan, Provincial and Broadmoor Seals

Hee, hee; I am thinking that if it were not for the somewhat more extravagant
              '57-'58 Packard Wagon owners, you few Provincial and Broadmoor owners would be SOL!!
              Last edited by StudeRich; 10-22-2011, 10:33 AM.
              StudeRich

Comment

I hope somebody gets this figured out. I am in need of the seal for the 2 side stationary glasses for my 56 Parkview and the rubber seal that goes between the 2 tail gates.

Comment

Originally posted by stratovue View Post
                  I'll check the prints next week to see what the differences are between the various part numbers. In any case we should have the seals available soon. Ed Reynolds
                  Very coool~ Thanks Ed!!! I'd be happy to test them out on a two door if need be...

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  you few Provincial and Broadmoor owners would be SOL!!
                  But you are one of those Broadmoor owner guys...
                  lucky...

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Rich, I'm betting there's a lot more '57-58 Stude wagons out there than Packards.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      He, he; I am thinking that if it were not for the somewhat more extravagant
                      '57-'58 Packard Wagon owners, you few Provincial and Broadmoor owners would be SOL!!
                      I never thought of myself as extravagant!
                      Chip
                      '63 Cruiser
                      '57 Packard wagon
                      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Don't worry Chip. I've never surmized that about you. Fact is, it would be a real feat to ride the horses of Extravagant and CASO at the same time.

Comment

OK Chip, so "somewhat extravagant" might not be the best choice of words for ALL of the owners, BUT I am sure you know that restoring or purchasing (in the last 10-15 years) a very nice or restored '57 Packard even a bit more so than a '58, would cost some serious coin, WAY more than a comparable Stude. Wagon.

And I am focusing primarily on the amount of Chrome plating and trim restoration needed especially on that front end, a Studebaker Grille is a long lasting, simple, cheap, non-pitting stainless steel one. The Packard has a way more expensive to plate PAIR of front Bumpers as well.

Not to say that those Luxurious Interiors would not be pricey to restore either!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 10-22-2011, 10:57 AM.
                          StudeRich

Comment

I notice in the SI 2012 White Christmas catalog (just rec'd), Ed has the rear Quarter Window Rubber Seals listed for sale as "New Item." For 57-58 Station Wagon and 60-62 Station Wagon.
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

This seal does not fit a 2 door wagon right. I need one for a 2 door wagon.

Comment

Working...
                              X