No announcement yet.

The Lamberti papers #26 (July 1, 1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #26 (July 1, 1963)

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thank you again Richard for these. It is getting exciting knowing that the end was so close and how much effort was continuing on all fronts.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It really is a bit of a shame , that this is the last (known) report of the minutes .

Let's hope that at some stage in the not too distant future , someone can turn
      up the second half of the '63 Year . Many thanks to Richard Quinn for his efforts.

Interesting that at the time period that we leave this at , they have now done
      all the '64 Prototypes and are talking with Brooks Stevens about proposals for
      1965 including a study of a car stretched a further six or seven inches to '64's.
      A bit of a worry , the number of '63's that are 'on hand' taking up storage !

Thanks for the memories .

CRUISER

Comment

Thanks Richards, I have enjoyed the read and now it leaves me wanting more OF REST OF THE STORY!
        Tom
        sigpic

Comment

Again, Dick; thanks for these "II" (Incredibly Interesting) reports.

Notes from today's dispatch:

1. Ouch; possibly 3,779 1963 cars sitting around waiting to go somewhere, anywhere! That's almost two per dealer. Ugh.

2. "Drag racers report shifting problems with the original 4-speed linkage?" How could that be? Was there ever a sturdier linkage setup than Studebaker's factory-issue 4-speed shifter? <GGG>

3. Interesting, the early item about the prototype 1964 station wagon "going to the proving grounds this morning."

OK, this is dated July 1, 1963, so what was it? I wonder what numbers that prototype wagon carried, if any at all? I could believe it if it was the first 1964 wagon produced, which was clearly a loaded glamor car, as I'll illustrate momentarily.

But in fact, the first serialed 1964 station wagon was 64V1006. (1964 serial numbers 1001, 1002, and 1003 were assigned to Daytona convertibles. 1004 and 1005 were Hawks.)

The Production Order for 64V1006, the first wagon, was written 7-12-63 and is shown as having been assembled 8-8-63. It was obviously "the" wagon for 1964 Press Work and such, carrying body 64V P8 101, equipped as follows:

Daytona 8 Wagonaire
          Golden Sand
          Black Vinyl Interior

Flightomatic
          Power Steering
          Power Disc Brakes
          Twin Traction

Hideaway Seat
          Electric Rear Window
          Tailgate Step
          Luggage Carrier

WSW tires
          Wheel Covers
          Undercoat

Push-Button Radio
          Climatizer
          Electric Windshield Washers
          Clock

Front Bumper Guards
          Belts L&R
          AC3180 Left

Show Car Quality
          Service for Retail Delivery
          Luster Seal
          Tag Press Preview

Hmmmm....With "all the above" going into the first serial-numbered 1964 wagon, what vehicle was "going to the proving grounds this morning" on July 1, 1963? BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            With "all the above" going into the first serial-numbered 1964 wagon, what vehicle was "going to the proving grounds this morning" on July 1, 1963? BP
            Ya mean ya don't remember, Bob?? I'm sure you and your cousin were hiding in the trees at the Proving Ground and seen it all!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Ya mean ya don't remember, Bob?? I'm sure you and your cousin were hiding in the trees at the Proving Ground and seen it all! Craig
              We might have slept in that morning and missed the whole thing, Craig....or not!

I'm sorry this current installment of the Lamberti Papers addresses lax security. Now you guys aren't gonna believe many of my and George's stories about sneaking in! <GGG> BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Quinn. This has been a very enjoyable read and it amazes me how these gentlemen were trying to compete with the Big Three. It is interesting to note that, at this time, they wanted to expand their overseas operations!!!
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  >>>Now you guys aren't gonna believe many of my and George's stories about sneaking in! <GGG> BP
                  Oh, I certainly do!!!

Security What security???

Through the summer of '63 I would often walk along Franklin St. right by those big open windows of the Studebaker Engineering Building several days a week heading to Studebaker's Salvage Dept. Had I known Detroit was paying $250, I could have taken my Kodak Brownie and clicked a few pics. of those '64s!

Comment

Interesting about the 6 cylinder E13 that was destined for Oregon... wonder what happened to it?
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                      Oh, I certainly do!!!

Security What security???

Through the summer of '63 I would often walk along Franklin St. right by those big open windows of the Studebaker Engineering Building several days a week heading to Studebaker's Salvage Dept. Had I known Detroit was paying $250, I could have taken my Kodak Brownie and clicked a few pics. of those '64s!
                      Indeed. 'Hard to believe anyone in Detroit cared $250 worth about what Studebaker was doing! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thank you Mr. Quinn.
                        Is there any information as to why this is the last report?
                        Did Dr.Lamberti leave at this time?
                        I have found this to be very enlightening.

Comment

Richard, these have all been fun and enlightening to read. The next best thing would've been audio recordings - where we could detect the aire or mood of the attendees. But this is still very interesting stuff. I'll also ask if you know why this is the last paper from Mr. Lamberti.

Again - thanks.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here's an odd thought and pardon me if someone has posed it before:

If Studebaker had all of these leftover 1963 models around that worked out to 2 per dealer... why didn't Studebaker just ship them out, 2 per dealer to sell as best the dealer could?

Just wondering

I would like to read the engineering file about the ohv 185 engine.

Jeff T.
                            \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                            The Replacements.

Comment

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                              53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries
                              http://www.teamwetworks.com/stregs/

Comment

Working...
                              X