No announcement yet.

October Turning Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there should be a web-based or PDF download edition for non-US (and US, if they wish) residents, so that everybody could see the issue at the same time and the physical delivery would not be such an issue.
    Then if it came a month later to your home, it would only be the archiving edition, not the one you are reading to get current news.

Comment

E - Edition of TW???

Originally posted by aenthal View Post
      I think there should be a web-based or PDF download edition for non-US (and US, if they wish) residents, so that everybody could see the issue at the same time and the physical delivery would not be such an issue.
      Then if it came a month later to your home, it would only be the archiving edition, not the one you are reading to get current news.
      I can tell you there has been some "hot" discussion about creating an electronic edition of TW. I don't recall all of the issues but some were: security (limiting access to paid subscribers); cost of producing paper editions (would rise significantly if a lot less copies were produced); and ??? (I know there were others)

That said, I would favor having the option of getting an e-version of TW. I would be quite happy to pay the same rate as for the paper version too. That way I would just print off the tech info I need to keep handy and rely on the e-version for those other items of interest, but don't need immediate access to. One day...
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I just finished reading the October issue last night, now I have the November issue to start on.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I just finished reading the October issue last night, now I have the November issue to start on.
          Be glad Gary that you live in the U.S. No one in Canada has received their October issue yet. On the hoped-for assumption they arrive on Monday October 24th, that'll be about one month later than the U.S. delivery. While I agree that Canada Post has its problems, there are no other publications that are experiencing the same problems as SDC is. I still maintain that ever since we changed printers, we inherited a less than satisfactory distribution system, which is part of the problem. The other part is that we do not appear to be maintaining consistent closing dates for TW material. I know that Art/Ann always need extra time to complete the International Meet issue, but perhaps a second look at specific closing dates must be addressed.
          Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
            Be glad Gary that you live in the U.S. No one in Canada has received their October issue yet. On the hoped-for assumption they arrive on Monday October 24th, that'll be about one month later than the U.S. delivery. While I agree that Canada Post has its problems, there are no other publications that are experiencing the same problems as SDC is. I still maintain that ever since we changed printers, we inherited a less than satisfactory distribution system, which is part of the problem. The other part is that we do not appear to be maintaining consistent closing dates for TW material. I know that Art/Ann always need extra time to complete the International Meet issue, but perhaps a second look at specific closing dates must be addressed.
            Stu Chapman
            When I was in charge of SDC contracts, the RFQs and the contracts for the editor and printer stated the 15th of the prior month for mailing of Turning Wheels. I doubt that this has changed, but I could be proven wrong. I do not see any reason that SDC would move this date out. The idea was for the bulk of SDC members to receive their issue of Turnng Wheels before the first of the cover month.

The recent Turning Wheels have been mailed after the 15th, but not long after (four to seven days). There was a lot of work done to get the Canada issues to the members as rapidly as possible during the last years of Good Printers handling the distribution. Has that system been changed?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              When I was in charge of SDC contracts, the RFQs and the contracts for the editor and printer stated the 15th of the prior month for mailing of Turning Wheels. I doubt that this has changed, but I could be proven wrong. I do not see any reason that SDC would move this date out. The idea was for the bulk of SDC members to receive their issue of Turnng Wheels before the first of the cover month.

The recent Turning Wheels have been mailed after the 15th, but not long after (four to seven days). There was a lot of work done to get the Canada issues to the members as rapidly as possible during the last years of Good Printers handling the distribution. Has that system been changed?
              Apparently it has Gary. Chester Bradfield and Good Printers certainly did a great job as you describe. However when SDC switched printers, the distribution arrangement apparently changed as well. Except for 2-3 months over the past two years, Canada doesn't get TW until well into the current month. As noted, October is not here yet. September came about the 20th. One possible answer could be if the current printer is expecting copy on a certain date and it doesn't arrive, his make-up schedule could be totally disrupted and TW would have to wait. This same analogy could also apply to the distribution house. There is no question that Canada Post has slowed delivery with many periodicals by 3-4 days, but that cannot account for 3 weeks.
              Stu Chapman

Comment

The mules that Canada Post use are very slow at walking and 3000 miles across Canada is a long way, a lot of flooded land still difficult to cross. I live on the bald flat prairies, but the strong winds make it harder on the mules . I don't have my October Issue yet either but when it come or should I say " If it comes I'll give the mules an energy drink and then maybe they can cross the mountains, Sorry Mark you just might have to meet them when they make it to the coast not sure if they will have the energy to swim to the Island, its been real hard on them, Canada Customs , Homeland Security and all.
                Evan Severson

Comment

Mail Delivery???

I read in another post that one of our Australian members has now received his October TW... still waiting here on the west coast (and most other parts of Canada it seems).

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a magazine can travel from the US to Australia faster than across the same continent. Maybe the Canadian copies can be printed without the month being identified - that way we could at least fool ourselves they were arriving at some point in time close to when they should be!
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                    I read in another post that one of our Australian members has now received his October TW... still waiting here on the west coast (and most other parts of Canada it seems).

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a magazine can travel from the US to Australia faster than across the same continent. Maybe the Canadian copies can be printed without the month being identified - that way we could at least fool ourselves they were arriving at some point in time close to when they should be!
                    Now that's funny, Mark. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Thanks Bob - While it may sound like I'm raving, I have learned (the hard way) that it pays to keep a sense of humour about everything except the really serious stuff in life.
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

But only in America does a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                          Thanks Bob - While it may sound like I'm raving, I have learned (the hard way) that it pays to keep a sense of humour about everything except the really serious stuff in life.
                          Now wait a minute, Mark: Are you implying that your monthly Turning Wheels is not one of the really serious things in life? Where have we failed you? <GGG> BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Now wait a minute, Mark: Are you implying that your monthly Turning Wheels is not one of the really serious things in life? Where have we failed you? <GGG> BP
                            Well Bob... I guess it's not really serious because:
                            a) I know it will get here eventually,
                            b) they are still arriving about 30 days apart, so my monthly "fix" is still happening with the same frequency as before, and
                            c) I am not in dire need of an obscure part that may be advertised in TW which I would have no chance at obtaining under the current delivery system.

So, life "ain't" that bad!

Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander
                            Zone Coordinator
                            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

The mail carrier just went through.....still no Oct TWs here.....ya know since alot of US members are getting their November issue it sure seems there is something very wrong here with us Cdns not getting our Oct yet...........strange indeed
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Kind of makes you wonder that if NO Canadian issues have arrived if ANY Canadian issues were mailed.

Many years ago I worked at Transcontinental/RBW Graphics in Owen Sound where we did A LOT of mail publications. We had specific times and dates to have issues out and they were different between US and Canada. We also made sure that the publications were imprinted, postage prepaid and delivery direct to a major postal entry point (Gateway Mississauga for Canada and usually Buffalo for the US - although sometimes they went to Detroit). Only complaints we heard back on were about print quality and sometimes mail handling damage - never tardiness. Not too sure who the current supplier is for SDC but if they do not do printing AND mailing in-house that can add delays. Contract should specify that if it doesn't.

BTW, still waiting on my issue(s) as well.
                                1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X