Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    I’m glad there’s a Studebaker in this picture, gives me an excuse to post this AWESOME service station

Addy's Service Station, 1223 Augusta Highway, West Columbia, South Carolina, 1959.

Click image for larger version

Name:	21257862-4048-4219-834C-9C7B8FC738B4.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1917134
    Two Studebakers that I see.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• That is a cool shot. Love the billboards. When I worked at Gallatti's Union 76 Station in North Hollywood in the late 60s the price of gas was still about the same. The price was pretty rock steady for a long time back then. Can't say the same for today. Thanks for posting this nice bit of nostalgia.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	248672132_10220179470261990_7026254172738429583_n.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1917988 Click image for larger version

Name:	246655846_10220179469981983_8660325293826952150_n.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1917987

sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

• Americana in Quebec:

Name:	24991049_1045284832279133_7045841607582687746_n.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1917991
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

• Originally posted by Studedude View Post
              Americana in Quebec:

Name:	24991049_1045284832279133_7045841607582687746_n.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1917991
              I sure hope that's a Commander.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• #11689; trucks in Norge / Norway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                  #11689; trucks in Norge / Norway.
                  Thanks! I was wondering which European country they were in.

Craig

Comment

• At least a three-fer from The Old Motor:

and another:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Bob,
                      Three at least.
                      That first pic in post # 11694 is the Lions Gate Bridge connecting West Vancouver to Vancouver, BC via a three lane bridge and causeway. It is further evidenced by the 1954 Austin Somerset (I used to own one) coming towards us on the left as there were an awful lot of British cars imported to Vancouver in the 50's & 60's. An aside regarding the bridge was that the center lane was a flashing amber so if you passed you took your chances with the oncoming traffic.
                      Maybe that was me! Thanks for the memories.
                      Cheers, Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                        Bob,
                        Three at least.
                        That first pic in post # 11694 is the Lions Gate Bridge connecting West Vancouver to Vancouver, BC via a three lane bridge and causeway. It is further evidenced by the 1954 Austin Somerset (I used to own one) coming towards us on the left as there were an awful lot of British cars imported to Vancouver in the 50's & 60's. An aside regarding the bridge was that the center lane was a flashing amber so if you passed you took your chances with the oncoming traffic.
                        Maybe that was me! Thanks for the memories.
                        Cheers, Bill
                        Right you are, Bill; you're welcome. The description of the photo location described in The Old Motor is exactly as you described. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Too bad both the '51 Champion immediately in front of '50 Rover P4 aren't more visible from the side and closer in the photo. It would be interesting to compare the two together as the Rover did borrow its design from the 1947 Studebaker four door sedan.

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            Too bad both the '51 Champion immediately in front of '50 Rover P4 aren't more visible from the side and closer in the photo. It would be interesting to compare the two together as the Rover did borrow its design from the 1947 Studebaker four door sedan.

Craig
                            Thanks for the info. That car had me wondering? The fender, horizontal tail light, even bumper & guard looks like Studebaker. However, the rear window didn't match Studebaker.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• 11694 -- The license plate on the GMC pickup at right dates the photo to 1957.

Bill Jarvis

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                                It is further evidenced by the 1954 Austin Somerset (I used to own one) coming towards us on the left as there were an awful lot of British cars imported to Vancouver in the 50's & 60's.
                                They helped keep the "British" in 'British Columbia' in those days!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X