No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than any legitimate Gulf ad...I recall one in Mad Magazine when I was a teenager! Don't know if this picture will show up on the forum because of the difficulty in getting it to show up on my own computer. However, it forever changed my view of the Gulf Oil brand and I couldn't help but smile every time I see the brand to this day.
    Amazing how one tiny letter can change so much.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mad Magazine spoof Gulf oil ad.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	1913064
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Those came in 'Wacky Packages' bubble gum.

There was also 'STD Oil Shortage' sticker as part of the set:
      1974 Topps Wacky Packs Series 8 STD Oil Shortage PSA 6 EX-MT #*# - Scottsdale Cards 2021

Craig

Comment

• #11668 shows Australian racing.

Comment

• Oklahoma State University Lewis Field in the 50s:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	10697224_689314994486670_89063975580798337_o.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1913260
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

• Originally posted by Studedude View Post
            Oklahoma State University Lewis Field in the 50s:

Name:	10697224_689314994486670_89063975580798337_o.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1913260
            Wow! Does GM ever have a lock on that market; look at the first row of cars facing the camera. YIKES! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Not Americana & not roadside but streetside...
              Click image for larger version  Name:	z29 1 - Kopia.JPG Views:	0 Size:	16.9 KB ID:	1913482
              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 09-28-2021, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Wow! Does GM ever have a lock on that market; look at the first row of cars facing the camera. YIKES!
                Not anymore!!! It would be filled with SUV's from Asian manufacturers, Ford, and FCA products being the majority of them.

Keep in mind, those buses are probably GM/Yellow Coach as well; a division GM sold off in the 1980's.

Craig

Comment

• Old hospital, 1940s.......same building, 1950s.......

Name:	hospital.1940s.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1914314 Click image for larger version

Name:	hopsital.1950s.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1914315
                  "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

• After the 1933 Indy 500, Studebaker sent the Indy cars on tour through the country. The racing numbers were removed and advertising slogans were painted on the cars.

Name:	1933_Johnson Admin bldg-16964.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1914374 Luther Johnson at the wheel in front of the Administration Building, start of tour.

Name:	1933IndyCarInPALJ3-adj.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1914375 The Indy car and a 1934 Studebaker with sirens, probably somewhere in PA. Luther wearing goggles??

Name:	1933IndyCarInPALJ4-adj.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1914376 A lucky lady at the wheel, not that she could see over the cowl...

Name:	1933_Johnson unpainted.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1914377Luther Johnson again but maybe a different one of the Indy cars. Covers for the wire wheels are unusual. Is it South Bend?
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

• From the Sunday(?), October 10, 2021 Old Motor:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• From the Wednesday, October 13 Hemmings Daily Blog:

Ayn Rand:

Comment

• Turns out the MV Magga Dan has a history!
                          Also, picture appears to be at the Port of San Francisco.

Comment

• Originally posted by skyway View Post
                            Turns out the MV Magga Dan has a history!
                            Also, picture appears to be at the Port of San Francisco.
                            It's actually at the port in Montreal in 1966. The clock tower in the background is the giveaway. But yes, the history is interesting. In addition to the arctic and antarctic science expeditions, at each end of their scientific missions, the Dan (Danish) ships transported goods back to the opposite hemisphere prior to the next mission. Whether this ship was loading up supplies prior to a mission or taking supplies South, would depend on the time of year the photo was taken.

Comment

• Oops, thanks for the correction.

Comment

• I’m glad there’s a Studebaker in this picture, gives me an excuse to post this AWESOME service station

Addy's Service Station, 1223 Augusta Highway, West Columbia, South Carolina, 1959.

Name:	21257862-4048-4219-834C-9C7B8FC738B4.jpeg
Views:	318
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1917134
                                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                                Romans 15:13
                                Deuteronomy 31:6
                                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                                X