No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots with stickers on their windscreens passenger side and no Rego plates Cheers Harryhawk

Comment

• ...and those women are not dressed for a tough ‘hood.

Comment

• Re #11560, the RR bridge looks right.
        Not the one by the Admin. Building, but rather the one near the Oliver smokestack, north of Sample on your way to the new Museum. Sorry but I don’t know that street name?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post

Yes! I'm thinking maybe the cars are being rail shipped. I understand that's done on the east coast for 'snow birds' going to Florida for the winter.
          “Frisco Line” boxcars, likely West Coast.

Comment

• 11560 (top) and 11564: The cars in the front row have several different license plates, and some with none. Could these possibly be cars belonging to military personnel being posted elsewhere?
            Last edited by Greenstude; 04-25-2021, 11:32 AM.
            Bill Jarvis

Comment

• 11560 Just a conjecture. I cannot see if the Executive has a plate, the view is blocked by the lady. My thinking is that when the Packard plant closed, all the cars in the storage lot at the factory were shipped to South Bend to be distributed with the small number of Studebakers that were going to dealers at that time. Studebaker and Packard production combined was just over 100,000 cars. Yet I am thinking if they were new cars to be placed in inventory, why would they be on the street by parking meters?

I guess in reality, it is just a random shot that had 2 Packards, a Clipper and Executive in a picture in South Bend that happened to be the same color.

Bob Miles

Comment

• Originally posted by skyway View Post
                Re #11560, the RR bridge looks right.
                Not the one by the Admin. Building, but rather the one near the Oliver smokestack, north of Sample on your way to the new Museum. Sorry but I don’t know that street name?
                That's Chapin Street; the street on which The Studebaker National Museum is located. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Yup; thanks Bob.

...was that the correct SB clue?

Comment

• Originally posted by skyway View Post
                    Yup; thanks Bob. ...was that the correct SB clue?
                    Yes. The Oliver Smokestack is on the west side of Chapin Streeet, as is the museum, just a couple of blocks south of the museum. Between the smokestack and the museum is a railroad underpass for Chapin Street. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• From the Sunday, May 2, 2021 Old Motor:

Champion or Commander? The "dual" exhausts don't mean anything; Champions had a stub pipe on the left side to simulate a "dual":

Ayn Rand:

Comment

• This photo is tagged Cincinnati, 1950s. Could the light blue car in front of the two-tone 1957 Buick on the other side of the street be a 1953-1955 Studebaker 4-door sedan? (I don't really think so; the bumper may be too low.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

• I do think it is Bob, the tail light follows the design.
                          sigpic

Josephine
                          Champion V8
                          4d sedan

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            This photo is tagged Cincinnati, 1950s. Could the light blue car in front of the two-tone 1957 Buick on the other side of the street be a 1953-1955 Studebaker 4-door sedan? (I don't really think so; the bumper may be too low.) BP
                            I'm thinking '51 Chevy. Seems a little too rounded to be a Studebaker.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• I still think it's a Studebaker, silly as I am...
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinti1950s_02.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1893037
                              sigpic

Josephine
                              Champion V8
                              4d sedan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                                I'm thinking '51 Chevy. Seems a little too rounded to be a Studebaker.
                                It sits too low to be a '51 Chev. Compare the beltline height of it with the '57 Buick with the dark blue & white '54 Bel Air that's about to pass both of them.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X