• Comment

• Comment

• Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Originally posted by 62champ View Post

Caption: Snyder's Drive-In Restaurant, Plymouth, Indiana. Started by my grandparents Merton and Jessie Snyder in 1951 as a frozen custard stand. It was the first restaurant to serve pizza in Plymouth. From shorpy.com
          Geez, I'd like to step right into that picture! That's my kind of place, too, and that red wagon with the silver wheels and dog dish caps is strangely appealing to me. Very nice!
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

• When I was a kid we used to go to a place in Old Forge in the Adirondacks on the way to Lake George. Old Forge is a little old-timey mountain resort town that hasn't changed at all in the 40-plus years I've known it.

The above picture of Snyder's is remarkably close to my favorite old-time drive-in in Old Forge, called the Pied Piper. It's right on the main drag, opened in 1958. Just this September I took Linda there. The menu and food is pretty much the same as it always has been, quality fried comfort foods and the like. I did take a picture, but it was night and it's close to the road and busy, so I didn't get very good one; But here it is:

As with most images in this thread- great memories.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I'm guessing that #986 is Durango, CO on the basis of the Strater coffee shop.
                  Jim K.
                  63 Hawk

Comment

• Originally posted by JimK View Post
                    I'm guessing that #986 is Durango, CO on the basis of the Strater coffee shop.
                    Also, Jim, wouldn't the Coors beer sign place the photo somewhere in a smaller, western geographic location? Back then, Coors wasn't distributed nationwide, IIRC. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Bob, even in (not so small) Denver - it's still brewed just up the road. It was regional back then - I guess a lot of beers were.

The Strater is also still there, all kinda gussied up. We haven't been to Durango for a few years but I think some of those buildings are still there. There was a bad fire across the street a few years back that took out a few of the old buildings.

I just called up google street view at 624 Main Street; that's it all right. The car dealership is now the Diamond Belle Theatre.

And if you like steam-powered railroads, Durango is a must.
                      Jim K.
                      63 Hawk

Comment

• Originally posted by JimK View Post

The Strater is also still there, all kinda gussied up. We haven't been to Durango for a few years but I think some of those buildings are still there.
                        Yep, all the buildings in the photo are still there. Here's a more recent photo from a different angle, looking the opposite direction up the same street.

And for those who want to get back to Stude spotting, let's try looking for an older one on the same street:

Last edited by Ted Preston; 10-29-2012, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                          There are several interesting/rare vehicles in this photo. Besides the three Studebakers, there is at least one, (possibly two) Kaiser/Fraser, a Willys (Lark?) and a very rare Austin A40 Somerset convertible which may be two toned, adding to the rarity.

Terry

Comment

• Two (or three) Studes at Canadian Customs

Found this posted on the H.A.M.B.. I can't tell if the car coming at us is a pre-war Stude of some kind or not.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Blow up #992, Joe. The car on the right might also be a Studebaker (tail toward us). The car coming toward us I believe is a Hudson. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                                Blow up #992, Joe. The car on the right might also be a Studebaker (tail toward us). The car coming toward us I believe is a Hudson. BP
                                I knew the blue car was a Studebaker, but not the one coming towards us. I thought it looked familiar but was not sure about it being a Studebaker. But looking at it again, after you identified it, I believe you are correct it is a Hudson. Thanks for the I.D.
                                Joe Roberts
                                '61 R1 Champ
                                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                                X