Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by studegary View Post
    In this picture, the 1950 Studebaker (to the far left, not the 5 pass. cpe. - Starlight near the center) may be the newest car.
    'Might be tied with the Hudson Brougham in the foreground, Gary. I believe the Hudson is either a '50 or '51, judging from the rear window size. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

• #9700 objects on right side......I see a wheel and tire half-hidden behind a gas pump. Trailers maybe?
        D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

• From Hemmings Daily Blog.

As surprising as it is to see the 1956 President Classic, even more surprising is to see that 1955 Packard Patrician! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Should be a lot more furrin' iron in a So. Cal. parking lot. This must be fake news
            D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

• Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              I enlarged it, but I have no idea.
              I'm guessing old portable welder or generator.
              1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
              1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
              1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
              1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
              1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
              1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                Should be a lot more furrin' iron in a So. Cal. parking lot. This must be fake news
                I think that they are tourists that traveled from other areas. The cars are 1950s-1960s with a fair number of station wagons, including woodies.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Oak Ridge TN 1959, per the Hemmings Blog. The Hawk's hood scoop makes it easy to identify. BP

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                    Should be a lot more furrin' iron in a So. Cal. parking lot. This must be fake news
                    Well, Dwain; it was 1964. BP

Comment

• Bob Palma, the Oak Ridge pic has 3 significant things for me. In 68, this is where I signed up to go to a technical training school, the "Fawn" ( or light tan, whatever FOMOCO called that color ) and white 56 Ford Town Sedan is most likely my aunt and uncles car as they were both employed there, and the little baby blue Hawk looks like the gentleman that became our school principal's Flight Hawk. There were VERY few Hawks in Clinton or Oak Ridge, and as they were all sold at only 2 dealerships, and my Dad worked at one of them, so I was pretty familiar with all of them around there. "When I grow up"...etc...etc...etc, ha !

Comment

• Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                        Bob Palma, the Oak Ridge pic has 3 significant things for me. In 68, this is where I signed up to go to a technical training school, the "Fawn" ( or light tan, whatever FOMOCO called that color ) and white 56 Ford Town Sedan is most likely my aunt and uncles car as they were both employed there, and the little baby blue Hawk looks like the gentleman that became our school principal's Flight Hawk. There were VERY few Hawks in Clinton or Oak Ridge, and as they were all sold at only 2 dealerships, and my Dad worked at one of them, so I was pretty familiar with all of them around there. "When I grow up"...etc...etc...etc, ha !
                        Cool beans, John; 'glad you liked it.
                        My wife and I visited Oak Ridge several years ago and that picture looks very believable. BP

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          From Hemmings Daily Blog.

As surprising as it is to see the 1956 President Classic, even more surprising is to see that 1955 Packard Patrician! BP

Look at all the station wagons!!

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                            Drivers really tailgated back then, good thing cars had real bumpers! Obviously a California city, note the "wet hydrant" found in SoCal.

Comment

• 9718 is the Hall of Injustice in down town L.A. County Jail was on the top floor.

Comment

• Can anyone positively identify the car directly behind the '50 Stude? No too common to have a split windshield on that era vehicle, and a radiator/grille I don't recognize. I've seen this photo published before, but only glanced at this vehicle, thinking it was a commercial/panel delivery truck. I now see that it is plainly a regular 4 door sedan. But possibly a rare one.
                                KURTRUK
                                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X