Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
      OOOAAHHH ! Some kind of alien spacecraft was caught hovering in this pic . !

We are not alone..... (G)

Comment

• In #843. The name changed to Los Angeles Airport in 1941 but the locals still called it Rabbit Field until the early 60's.

Comment

• I hope he is not trading this in.......

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Daytona Beach....

Some pretty fancy rides at the beach that day!
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Comment

• Rahway NJ

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                  The Pan Am plane is a Boeing Stratocruiser I believe. That was the first plane I flew in & it set a record! The flight was the first time a commercial airliner had carried over 100 passengers over the Atlantic. (summer of 1952).

You are correct, the Pan Am aircraft is a Boeing Stratocruiser, the transport variant of the B-29 and later B-50. It was fairly rare as an airliner but the Air Force bought hundreds for tanker aircraft.
                  The other plane is a Lockheed Constellation of TWA...probably the 749 model. Both were pressurized (fairly new for the time) but both lack radar.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    Thanks for posting that one, Bob. That's a very familiar scene: College Avenue (US Hwy 287) in Downtown Fort Collins, Colorado. This Saturday morning, I'll be driving my 55 Champion Coupe down that very street, past the Aggie Theatre, which is still operating.

How different the scene would look today. The buildings are mostly the same, and there's still diagonal parking down the center of the street, and along both sides, but the whole scene has been heavily landscaped, and there are trees everywhere now. It's really a beautiful downtown area now, but you wouldn't be able to make out many of the cars in the photo today. The trees would hide them.

This photo is looking north toward Wyoming. If you drive north on this street about sixty miles, wave as you go past my place!
                    Last edited by Ted Preston; 09-25-2012, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Ted- how cool it would be if you could take a current picture from a similar angle. Any chance of that?
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Ill bet the '52 in post #839 ended up with door dings from that stupid Caddy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                          Ted- how cool it would be if you could take a current picture from a similar angle. Any chance of that?
                          Well, I'm sitting here thinking what I could use to get up into the air a bit for a similar photo. I'll have a look and see what I can find. Maybe I can put my 55 coupe in the same position as that one in the right side foreground! (I won't try parking with my front wheel on the sidewalk, though. The curbs are much higher today!
                          Last edited by Ted Preston; 09-25-2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Preston View Post
                            Well, I'm sitting here thinking what I could use to get up into the air a bit for a similar photo. I'll have a look and see what I can find. Maybe I can put my 55 coupe in the same position as that one in the right side foreground! (I won't try parking with my front wheel on the sidewalk, though. The curbs are much higher today!
                            Is it this place?

http://goo.gl/maps/Kx6je
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                              Is it this place?

http://goo.gl/maps/Kx6je
                              Well, very close! Here's the Aggie Theater today.

(edit: snip. the scene I tried to post doesn't get you to where I thought it did. So much for my cut-n-paste magic!)

Oddly, that old building and sign on the Aggie Theater look familiar to me, though based on this modern street scene both the building and sign have changed. I wonder If the sign was still there when I was younger, and I'm remembering days long past. Anyway, you sure get a sense from Google street scenes for how much the street has changed!
                              Last edited by Ted Preston; 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Is there a Stude hiding ?

Comment

Working...
                                X