Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    Not a Champion. Too many letters on the trunk handle.
    Nope! I ran the license plate (LB5017 Kansas) and it comes back on a 1955 Commander registered to some woman in Wichita, KS.
    Last edited by Commander55; 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• New Orleans - 1950

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
        New Orleans - 1950

The guy in the front-right seat is Mayor Chep Morrison. Can you name the other four guys riding in the '50 Stude convertible?
        Last edited by Commander55; 06-30-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commander55 View Post
          Nope! I ran the license plate (LB5017 Kansas) and it comes back on a 1955 Commander registered to some woman in Wichita, KS.
          What? Nobody is making a woman driver joke?

BTW, here's Yours Truly in 1964 at age 18 and the '55 Champion at age 9:

BP
          Last edited by BobPalma; 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM.
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Hale Boggs?
            Last edited by JBOYLE; 06-30-2012, 03:47 PM.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

• Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
              The picture in posting number 511 is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and the shipyard is still there and in business. The ship in the foreground is in a dry-dock. The photograph is taken from the sidewalk on Barrington Street. Note the classy Jaguar sedan in front of the Studebaker --- that would have been a rare car. At the extreme right of the photo, the Angus L. MacDonald Bridge crosses the harbour. To the right, and out of the picture, is the Royal Canadian Navy dockyard. A short distance up the harbour, to the left and out of the picture, is the site of the collision between the ships "Imo" and "Mont Blanc" on December 6, 1917 which resulted in a blast which remains today the largest man-made non-nuclear explosion in world history. More than 2,000 people were killed; 9,000 were injured; much of the city was flattened; and the blast was heard 100 km (60 miles) away. Halifax Harbour is the world's second-deepest ice-free harbour, after Sydney, Australia.
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
                The picture in posting number 511 is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and the shipyard is still there and in business. The ship in the foreground is in a dry-dock. The photograph is taken from the sidewalk on Barrington Street. Note the classy Jaguar sedan in front of the Studebaker --- that would have been a rare car. At the extreme right of the photo, the Angus L. MacDonald Bridge crosses the harbour. To the right, and out of the picture, is the Royal Canadian Navy dockyard. A short distance up the harbour, to the left and out of the picture, is the site of the collision between the ships "Imo" and "Mont Blanc" on December 6, 1917 which resulted in a blast which remains today the largest man-made non-nuclear explosion in world history. More than 2,000 people were killed; 9,000 were injured; much of the city was flattened; and the blast was heard 100 km (60 miles) away. Halifax Harbour is the world's second-deepest ice-free harbour, after Sydney, Australia.
                I always thought the Texas City explosion was the largest non-nuclear explosion. But, you know those texans
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  I always thought the Texas City explosion was the largest non-nuclear explosion. But, you know those texans

I'm sure my Texas friends (who I never found boastful) will gladly cede that 'honor' to our friends from the North.
                  According to Wiki, the Canadian explosion was more powerful and far deadlier.

Also, some think the liftoff explosion of the Soviet N1 moon rocket was the greatest non-nuke explosion in history.
                  Caused, as it turned out, by a bolt going through a fuel pump. Now, that sounds like something that would happen with a Studebaker.

BTW: I doubt if the Jaguar was owned by a regular worker. More likely the Managing Director...isn't that a chauffeur next to the car?
                  Last edited by JBOYLE; 06-30-2012, 09:12 PM.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

• Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                    Hale Boggs?
                    Looks like him (seated behind the driver), John.
                    Is the guy on the opposide side (rear right) ex-Mayor Jack Christian?
                    The guy in the mid-rear looks like he has a beard. Any ideas?
                    Who would the driver be???
                    Last edited by Commander55; 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                      Delmar (Barney) Roos also worked for Rootes at one point.

That means four of those "furriners" should be easily identifiable. How about the other two?

Terry
                      I think the light colored wagon is a Borgward Kombi.

Comment

• Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                        Delmar (Barney) Roos also worked for Rootes at one point.

That means four of those "furriners" should be easily identifiable. How about the other two?

Terry
                        The little hatchback to the right of the VWs could be an Austin A40.

Comment

• Last edited by aarrggh; 07-01-2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                            The little hatchback to the right of the VWs could be an Austin A40.
                            We have a Borgward, a Hillman Husky, two Berlin Buicks and an Austin A40. The last one is.........a Renault Caravelle.

Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                              For those who might be interested in such things, the ship in drydock is representative of a series of ships designed in Britain and built in Canada and the US during WW2. The "Fort" and "Park" class ships were built in Canadfian shipyards on both the East and West coasts. Until the US entered the war, about 60 were built in US East coast shipyards and designated as "Ocean" class. They were virtually identical except for the fact that the US built ships had welded hulls, whereas the Canadian built ships were of riveted construction. They all had coal fired triple expansion steam engines because coal was easier to obtain in Britain. After the US entry into the war, production of the Liberty ship began. Although the Liberty ship has a different profile, it is based on the same British design which was modified to speed up production. They also used triple expansion engines which were oil fired. At least two of the ships that figured in the Texas City explosion were Liberty type ships.

Terry

Comment

• Sovereign Hotel, Chicago, 1957

Santa Ana, CA

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                                Romans 15:13
                                Deuteronomy 31:6
                                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                                X