Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    Looks more like late 50s. Is there even one 1960 model in the picture?
    I only see two 1959 cars, the Chev wagon and a Ford hardtop in the lot across the street. And it must have been taken early in the 1959 model year given they appear to be the only two, so I would suspect, mid-September 1958, the photo was taken. If it was taken later, there would have been more '59's, including some Larks.

Craig

Comment

• Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

• I think there is a Starlight Coupe in the third row from from the left.
          sigpic

Comment

• I think there is a Starlight Coupe in the third row from from the left.[/QUOTE]

If it is, there is a sedan in the same row a bit closer to the left side. The rear ends of the cars look identical. Until I enlarged the picture, I couldn't see any Studes at all.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

• Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

• #2795 - Boeing Lot - Looks like a hawk along the fence, far right about half way up the frame.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• #2795 doesn't enlarge well either, but there might be a light colored R or E truck in the parallel parking row, facing forward.
                    D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

• Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      #2795 - Boeing Lot - Looks like a hawk along the fence, far right about half way up the frame.

Yep, in 2795 along the right hand edge at the fence, Car #10 is possibly a '56 Flight or Power Hawk.

In the Third row from the left, counting from foreground, I also see a '47-'49 maybe a Starlight as #9, (as 52-fan did) but just beyond that Car #13 appears to be a 57 Silver Hawk, going mostly off of the two tone job, but at that distance it's hard to tell, it also could be a '55-'56 Dodge.

I think I may go blind trying to pick out Studes. in that distant mess!

I spotted an interesting thing about #2790, "60's LA". I looks like a mini-Studebaker Packard Mercedes DKW Dealer display in the front corner of the Parking Lot!

There is a 190SL parked diagonally in a close "V" pattern with a DKW and maybe a 2nd. DKW, all Sold by Studebaker Packard in 1958.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-27-2014, 08:52 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I spotted an interesting thing about #2790, "60's LA". I looks like a mini-Studebaker Packard Mercedes DKW Dealer display in the front corner of the Parking Lot!

There is a 190SL parked diagonally in a close "V" pattern with a DKW and maybe a 2nd. DKW, all Sold by Studebaker Packard in 1958.
                        I don't think the white hardtop next to the DKW is a 190SL. I think it is a 57 or 58 Fiat Spyder. The car on the other side of the DKW is a Fiat 1100 or 1200 of similar vintage.

Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                          I don't think the white hardtop next to the DKW is a 190SL. I think it is a 57 or 58 Fiat Spyder. The car on the other side of the DKW is a Fiat 1100 or 1200 of similar vintage.

Terry
                          You may be right Terry, but it looks a little small to be a Fiat. I wonder if it is a Berkley. It seems awfully small, even smaller than the DKW next to it. Berkleys were tiny, even smaller than a Sprite.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser

Comment

• I have #2402 as background & has had in mind for some time to ask if the color of the -50 Champion convertible is original Studebaker color?
                            Also the headlight frames looks like they miss the lower part, so it might be customized...?

Comment

• It took me a while to find the right page. https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...44570721_o.jpg I think the car is customized. The paint color is hard to tell, but the nose piece looks solid and the hub caps don't look right to me.
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

• The front bumper looks like it's tweaked. There's a '54 Pontiac in the pic, which makes the Studie 4 years old.

A lot can happen in four years, the hubcaps for example.

These are so large compared to the originals, one could feed two starving Basset Hounds at the same time, using only one of these caps.

Comment

Working...
                                X