No announcement yet.

The Lamberti papers #23 (June 10, 1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #23 (June 10, 1963)

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thank you to Richard Quinn for this latest in a series Lamberti Papers ( # 23 ) .

Boy , it was a BIG cleanout week for terminating presumedly non - performing
    Dealers . So now we know that around early June 1963 the Corporation dipped
    below 2,000 retail car Dealers . Oftentimes Quality is much better than Quantity .

But the Avanti Quality problems were still ongoing and they were not selling in
    sufficient Quantity . And building more than they were able to sell ( too expensive )
    according to some , assured that the problem would continue to haunt Management.

The level of Inventory at the Factory being increased by 381 vehicles because there
    was a shortage of parts to complete the cars must have been a source of complaint.
    But the fact that Studebaker built 1,100 more Larks and Hawks than they sold in May
    and there was already 400 extra into June would be the most worrying development.

Yet they were pressing on with the Avanti changes to upgrade the cars to '64 spec .
    And they nearly had pre - production cars for the Full 1964 Line completed with the
    plan to send 25 - 30 cars down the line in July to sort out any production problems ,
    prior to the line proper being operational from early August 1963 , for '64 models .

Far from thoughts of closing up shop , there was talk of the development of a 185HP
    Six cylinder engine targeted towards a mid year 1964 release . Interesting times !

CRUISER
    Last edited by cruiser; 10-12-2011, 02:16 AM.

Comment

We are fortunate to have these papers in our club. We can't thank Richard Quinn enough for his troubles to present them. Bet the Hudson club wished they had such papers. Or any other orphan club for that matter.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
        Far from thoughts of closing up shop , there was talk of the development of a 185HP
        Six cylinder engine targeted towards a mid year 1964 release.
        I bet that's supposed to read 185 CID, not 'HP'.

Craig

Comment

I never could figure out why in 1959 they did not stay with the 185 six. Looks like they were planning on bringing it back. I wonder if they had plans to modify the head and valves to help with that issue.

Another great installment. Thanks again Mr Quinn!!!
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I just want to take a moment to thank Dick Quinn for posting all the Lamberti Papers. It's as if we are a fly on the wall, privilaged to listen in on all the crucial decisions make by Studebaker management. What a treasure trove for all of us. Again, many thanks.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

These messages are really interesting and very informative history. Thanks

Comment

These messages are very interesting! Thanks

Comment

What were the Las Vegas Avanti's all about? Thanks...Mike
                  Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                  Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Yep; thanks again, Dick. The two things that jumped out of this installment have already been mentioned: The dealer count dropping below 2,000 for the first time (IIRC) and the probability that 185 hp was supposed to be 185 cid. (Engineering the six upward to 185 HP from 112 would have been quite a feat!)

The reality of the Avanti inventory problem was that, in effect, every dealer had one Avanti in stock. Gulp. When you consider that many dealers were small and selling few units per year anyway, much less Avantis, that makes the Avanti problem much more dramatic.

Such a shame all the way around; even in the day, I had no idea the Avanti problems were this bad. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      [B][COLOR=red]>>>Such a shame all the way around; even in the day, I had no idea the Avanti problems were this bad. BP

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
                        What were the Las Vegas Avanti's all about? Thanks...Mike
                        Las Vegas was a popular "driveaway" point for most of the California car dealers at the time. It was one way they could evade the early smog controls required there, and Vegas was the closest drop-off point.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                          [COLOR="blue"]As much as I love the Avanti from the minute I saw 3 being test driven back in 1962, to this day; it appears more & more the Avanti program and its drain on Studebaker’s financial & human resources at such a critical time sadly may have been the last nail in Studebaker Automotive Division's coffin.
                          Hi

This might make me an outcast for stating such blasphemy, but the results of the Avanti program were primarily major expense and production troubles that outweighed the image boost they hoped for. Frankly, in pure business terms, the same funds and resources would have been better directed toward Lark and Hawk developments resulting in fewer customer complaints and warranty costs.

But........no Avanti now.......so thanks to Egbert et al for taking the plunge! Out with a bang, rather than a whimper!

Steve

Comment

Absolutely. It's easy for us to quarterback the Avanti project 50 years later, but I'll bet you a dollar to Dave Lester's yeast doughnut that we would have nowhere near the performance Studebakers we have today had Egbert not forged ahead. Avanti!....you might say.

A classic example of ignoring people who I'm sure told him, "You can't do that in the time frame you have in mind," etc., etc. Thank goodness he told all of 'em to go take a hike. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

5. Turtle
                              We will try to have 2 Turtles in the RAVE demonstration in Detroit on Thursday of this week. (RAVE: Remote Area Vehicle Evaluation)

SWEET!!!!!!!!!! I knew they made three Turtle prototypes. Ed Reynolds looked up RAVE today and found that there was some "lost" information on this, including a photo of what I think might be the 2nd design Turtle which had operating four wheel drive, where they 3rd did not have four wheel drive. I will read up on this and post more information in a different thread later. Thanks, Ed, for the lead!
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X