'63 radio replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 radio replacement

Guys, I've got two '63 Larks and one '62 T-Cab, all with radios in sad shape.
    I've had no luck having them 'fixed' via mail to where they last and have found only one old guy locally, but he charges too much for repairs. I'm not willing to spend hundreds on these old delcos and wouldn't mind buying a new one with both bands, CD and even a USB port.

However, like most who love these vehicles, I'm not willing to have the dash hacked up to accomodate the modern rectangular radio face. That leaves me with the radio in the trunk or glove box.

Are they a bear to install? Is the effort worth it? Any recommendations on manufacturers? Thanks!

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    Guys, I've got two '63 Larks and one '62 T-Cab, all with radios in sad shape.
    I've had no luck having them 'fixed' via mail to where they last and have found only one old guy locally, but he charges too much for repairs. I'm not willing to spend hundreds on these old delcos and wouldn't mind buying a new one with both bands, CD and even a USB port.

However, like most who love these vehicles, I'm not willing to have the dash hacked up to accomodate the modern rectangular radio face. That leaves me with the radio in the trunk or glove box.

Are they a bear to install? Is the effort worth it? Any recommendations on manufacturers? Thanks!
    I use the older Kenwood KRC 1000, 2000 series shaft stereos. They require a bit of filing that is covered by the factory bezel if you go back. Here's one with Ipod input added. They are 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, and the same with the 2001 and up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KENWO...item2c5e1d28b8

The ultimate model is the KRC 3006 which controls a Kenwood CD changer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-KRC-...item45fd9ad443
    Last edited by JDP; 10-10-2011, 04:21 PM.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Tom, please contact SDC Brake Guru Jim Turner.

Jim just had a factory AM/FM for his Avanti updated and fitted with all the latest gadgetry. He is extremely pleased with the vendor who did the work, although I've forgotten who he said it was.

This after the first vendor who examined the radio told Jim to junk it, that it couldn't be fixed! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Tom, please contact SDC Brake Guru Jim Turner.

Jim just had a factory AM/FM for his Avanti updated and fitted with all the latest gadgetry. He is extremely pleased with the vendor who did the work, although I've forgotten who he said it was.

This after the first vendor who examined the radio told Jim to junk it, that it couldn't be fixed! BP
        The upgrade is pretty extensive, the only thing that remains is the chassis and the tuning slugs, the rest of the circuitry is gutted. I too was satisfied with the results, just a bit expensive.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Try Ron's Radio Repair in Dallas,PA. He fixed 1 of my FMs when others wanted to gut & replace the original stuff. He advertises in Hemmings. His ph. # is 570-675-7830,email is jakemore@epix.net.

Comment

I've got a 57 ford that we sent the radio to Taymen in florida,,

http://taymanelectrical.com/

its pretty awesome and really not that spendy if your considering buying a nice new head unit.

I being a Caso did this, and am equally happy with it.

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you all so much!

Comment

Tom, there is a vendor in the Vancouver, B.C. area that does the AM-FM conversion to stock radios. Like JP stated, they gut the radio, and install a complete new circuit board. Radio alternates between AM and FM each time you switch it on. Somewhere I may have a business card, but they visit all the swap meets here.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                X