Carburetion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetion

I have the '52 Stude 232 V8 in my 52 C-cab truck. It currently has a Stromberg carb on it. I can not find any model numbers or letters on it like WW. I ordered a carb kit for it that showed it covered Stude V8's early years with a Stromberg carb but it is way wrong. I think the kit shows it fitting a WW carb. The only thing I can find on the carb is the word "Aerotype" on it and a lot of patent numbers but I can not find a model or serial number.

I want to get the right kit, if it is available, or change the carb to something more easily repairable. So 2 questions....
    1} Does anyone know what model the carb is, and what carb kit I need to rebuild it, and is it available anywhere?
    2} I have a chance to buy a Holley 500cfm 4412-3 like this:
    http://www.holley.com/0-4412C.asp
    in good shape for $120 bucks, would it be better to just swap up to this, and would this be a good carb for the 232?

You very likely have a Stromberg AAUVB-26 carburetor, used on the 232 engine in 1951-52. You would do well with a Stromberg WW. I'm sure one of the venders has a rebuild kit for an AAUVB-26. I don't know anything about the Holley.

Comment

The kit you want is Studebaker part# 531842, aftermarket number CRB 118 available from most Stude vendors. Kit fits 51-52 232 engines with AAUVB-26 or 6-107 and 6-111 Stromberg carburators. Forget the Holley,it won't fit without some kind of an adapter and the trottle linkage is all wrong as the original application had the linkage on the right side. This info is only good if your car has an original to the engine carburator on it.
      Last edited by 41 Frank; 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

After you guys posted the possible part number of the carb, I pulled the cast iron throttle base plate out of my soak solution and I found those numbers on the throttle body. I was looking at the carb body and top bowl cover plate to no avail.
        Thanks for helping ID what I have currently.

Im guessing this is not the best carb for performance. Anyone know if the Holley will bolt up to my manifold? If not is there an adapter plate that will fit?
        Does the Stromberg WW fit directly on to my manifold?

Comment

The little 232 probably has all the carburator it can use as it is, because of its small valves,ports etc. performance would not improve with the Holley in my opinion, if you can still find an adapter to make it fit the manifold. The WW carbs have the same bolt pattern as your current carburator.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

So Frank, you think just rebuilding the stock AAUVB-26 is as good of an option as anything then?
            I found a complete rebuild kit online for $49 so rebuilding seems like a good option for sure, and the carb seems in good condition now that I got the throttle body plate shaft free. It was frozen solid, but after a good bit of PB blaster and a bit of soaking I got them free then pulled the shaft and completely cleaned the shaft and body and now it moves freely. The carb body looks to be in very nice shape overall even the rubber bits seem ok, but I plan on rebuilding it if I decide to use it.

I am not building a hot rod race motor, nor a concours show truck, so being OE is not important to me, I would rather have it perform well. Stock carb is as good a choice as any then?

Comment

That's my take on it, keep it stock,from what you have said the carb appears rebuildable so that would be the most economical avenue I believe. I have that same carb on my '52 232 and with a fresh kit it now performs as intended.
              Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
              So Frank, you think just rebuilding the stock AAUVB-26 is as good of an option as anything then?
              I found a complete rebuild kit online for $49 so rebuilding seems like a good option for sure, and the carb seems in good condition now that I got the throttle body plate shaft free. It was frozen solid, but after a good bit of PB blaster and a bit of soaking I got them free then pulled the shaft and completely cleaned the shaft and body and now it moves freely. The carb body looks to be in very nice shape overall even the rubber bits seem ok, but I plan on rebuilding it if I decide to use it.

I am not building a hot rod race motor, nor a concours show truck, so being OE is not important to me, I would rather have it perform well. Stock carb is as good a choice as any then?
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Thanx a bunch Frank.

Comment

Working...
                X