Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cultural infidel
    replied
    Apparently now that I have a garage, I want a lot more cars. I would drive this thing everywhere. I still want to get a set of those rear window deflectors for the 60 at some point.... whenever my uncle is ready to sign the title over.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Here's the link to the CL ad:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3136161391.html

Leave a comment:

• crusinsusin
    replied
    I've just read the entire thread and I'm very impressed with what you've done for these kids. I hope they know that Stude freaks from all over are interested in what they've done. I would love to participate in something like this, but the commute would be a bit much. Thank you for being so generous. It will pay off for your students.

Leave a comment:

• Corvanti
    replied
    what? no summer school???

i've really enjoyed your thread!!!

Leave a comment:

• JimC
    replied
    Truly, truly awesome. I hope when my boy is old enough to take a class like this that there will be someone in the area who still offers it.

Of course, considering my collection of cars and how much he likes helping me with them already, by 17 or 18, he may well be able to lead such a class! <G>

Please keep us updated on this car. Heck, someone on this very forum may have interest in it. And next year, if you're not lucky enough to find a Stude, at least give us a link to a forum you'll post on (or go ahead and post in our "Stove Huggers" forum).

Thanks for teaching valuable skills to these kids. Wish I had that in High school.

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    Great thread and story, Olivepick. Looks sorta like it's over, and I will miss it. Good luck at the show.

And that is a great looking Starlight. (even though it's yellow. not my favorite color for cars.) Don't suppose there's a thread story on that??????

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Nice job, sir. You have given those young men something to build a lifetime of mechanical ability upon. Good on you. (Love that yellow Starlight, too, BTW.)

Leave a comment:

• studeillac1952
    replied
    Great thread, and thank you. I just wish I had something like this in my area about 15 or so years ago. There was one guy across the street when i was growing up that let us just look at his car, but he would like to talk about it and drink beer. But thank you for what you are doing with the younger people. Keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• olivepick
    replied
    Session 18

We had our 18th and final class session on June 3rd. We ended class early to have our end-of-year BBQ.

Ben brought over a rebuilt carb and Kris helped him swap out the old one.

Most of the class time was spent cleaning, buffing, and polishing before parents got there for the BBQ.

Then we just relaxed and had some burgers.

The adults will meet on a few more Friday nights to tune the engine some and get it ready to drive to Chehalis for the car show on June 23rd.

Leave a comment:

• olivepick
    replied
    Session 17

Our 17th session was mostly spent chasing down starting issues. The starter wasn't engaging so we took it off the car, cleaned it out, and lubed the Bendix. We also replaced the starter solenoid after it got stuck and tightened and cleaned up all the connections.

A couple of the students finished up the spare tire cover and Zach made some new panels for the rear cargo area.

Here's Ian installing the new panels - I think they turned out real good.

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    Thanks for all the updates, the wagon is looking good!

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by hausdok View Post
    Ah, Blairsville! That's where Vale Tech used to be.
    Still there; now part of Wyoming Tech.

Leave a comment:

• HUB
    replied
    Fascinating thread. These young men are learning skills that will pay lifetime dividends. Cheers to you and to them.
    One little comment ( forgive me - I'm an employer ); the lack of eye protection in some of the photos gives me the shivers. Sitting in a hospital emergency room waiting to get a tiny piece of metal out of an eye is a tough way to learn a lesson. I know they can be a nuisance but nowhere near the nuisance of a permanent loss of sight. All the injuries I've seen over 45 years around a workplace using tools have one thing in common - nobody expected it. Best of luck with the ongoing project.

Leave a comment:

• JWW
    replied
    Originally posted by hausdok View Post
    Ah, Blairsville!

That's where Vale Tech used to be.
    Mike,

When Craig was doing the body-off of my Daytona convertible back about 1990, he was approached by the school to take a student for co-op. I think it was Vale, but could have been the HS. Craig was hesitant because these were customers' cars with high expectations in the quality of the work. He agreed to meet with the student. Liking him he said ok, and Greg did a lot of work on my conv. Following graduation Craig hired him and he still works for him.

Leave a comment:

• hausdok
    replied
    Originally posted by JWW View Post
    It was restored by Westmoreland Studebaker in Blairsville, PA.
    Ah, Blairsville!

That's where Vale Tech used to be. They used to have a pretty intensive Auto Mechanics/Auto Body school there. One could enroll for 7 months to be trained as a mechanic or a body guy or enroll for 14 months and get trained in both skills. In the summer of 1969 I'd just graduated from a two year auto mechanics training program in New York and had enrolled at Vale for the fall of 1969 but never attended. I was straight out of high school, in love with my high school sweetheart, and just old enough that my parents could no longer tell me what to do. Like an idiot, I got married instead. (As Bugs Bunny would say, "Whut a maroon!") That fall, I went instead up to SUNY at Delhi and enrolled in a mechanics program up there. That was that program's first year and they didn't even have the shop equipped yet. We students spent most of our time doing what a bunch of state employees should have done before we got there - setting up the shop and equipment, instead of learning anything. I dropped out a month later and went to work for an Oldsmobile dealer.

That was the first of three marriages. The third stuck - been together 34 years. I sometimes wonder what I'd be doing today if I hadn't gotten married and had gone on to attend Vale Tech.

olivepick,

What you are doing is great. I'm also in the Seattle area (Kenmore). The Seattle area is a great place to help kids develop their interests in automobiles. There is so much high tech around here that most of the focus seems to be on moving on to computer or medical technologies and the trades aren't really attracting many students here. It's too bad 'cuz there is a lot of car activity going on around here.

I was a professional mechanic from 69 till 75 and then I went into the military for nearly 21 years. Back in the 70's I was a pretty darned good mechanic; but while I was in the miltary automotive technology passed me by and today I'm not real familiar or comfortable with all of the modern computer-controlled doodads in newer cars. I've always been good at the mechanical end of it though and as a retired Master Sergeant I'm skilled at teaching young adults. If I can help in any way, give a holler.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X