1963 Lark Wagonaire auto shop project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Session 9

Session 9 suffered a little from lack of energy - both the adults and students were dragging a little. We had Kris, Zach, and Ransom this week - Ian broke his perfect attendance streak.

This session we bled the brakes, got all the door panels off to work on the windows, and played with a new buffer that I just bought.

None of the windows roll down very well - some not at all - so we took all the door panels off so we could get at the regulators. I'm not real sure how to fix the windows. I think it's a combination of stuck regulators and grungy channels. It looks like we might be taking the doors completely apart.

There's nothing too exciting about brake bleeding, but I like to use it as an excersize in communication and team work.

We've been talking about what to do with the body and someone had the idea of trying to just clean it up. So I went and bought a cheap HF buffer and we played around with it to see what we could do.

Since we were working on the passenger door, we decided to replace the one piece of missing trim on the car. Here you can see how good the buffed door with polished trim looks compared to the door we haven't touched.

Comment

Great project...great thread!!!
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

What show will you be at? Greenwood?

Comment

Originally posted by Commando66 View Post
          What show will you be at? Greenwood?
          We have been going to Billetproof the last couple years. I walked the Greenwood show once but I've never put a car in it. I will be actively trying to sell the car starting in mid June, and I think the Greenwood show is in mid July, right?

I'd like to find a show to attend in early June since not all my students can make it to Billetproof.

Comment

Session 10

Session 10 was on Superbowl Sunday, so we only worked for two ours so people could get home and see the game.

Between classes my helpers got the floor welded up and ground smooth. Then I put on a coat of paint to protect it.

Kris and Ian spent most of the class putting down Dynamat.

Zach and Dave wrestled a stuck window regulator out of one of the back doors.

Here they're using an extra one as a visual aid.

The regulator is stuck - and it looks like all the door windows are stuck.

Anyone got any advice on unsticking window regulators? They don't seem to be very user serviceable. I see that you can buy new ones from Studebaker International, but I hate to spend that much money.

After the window, Zach spent some time with the buffer. I bought some rubbing compound that's doing an even better job of shining up the paint.

The only bad area on the body is the passenger rear quarter. There was some pretty thick bondo that was starting to crack so we took it down to bare metal. I have an extra rear quarter, but patching it in is pretty far beyond my metal working skills.

Comment

Send your crew up to Bellingham to help me with mine when they finish the green one. They will be EXPERTS by then.

All that dynamat must have cost a fortune (or was it donated?).
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                Send your crew up to Bellingham to help me with mine when they finish the green one. They will be EXPERTS by then.

All that dynamat must have cost a fortune (or was it donated?).
                I had the Dynamat left over from last year. I bought it off Amazon.com and it wasn't too expensive. I need to take more time to try to get stuff like this donated...

Comment

Perhaps some of the Washington mob could assist the boys with their Wagonaire, can't be much hassle to redo the rear panel for those who know how?
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Session 11

Our 11th class was delayed a week due to mid winter break. Between classes we had loosened up the one window regulator we had taken out and decided that they were salvageable, so the main thing we worked on this time was the windows.

We only had Ransom and Ian in class this week, so we didn't get as much done as I was hoping.

Here Ransom works on convincing one of the front regulators to do its job.

Ian and Dave get the driver's side back together - somehow their side went a lot quicker...

We also got the wheels put on and car off the jack stands.

Comment

This is a great thread. It's neat to see you making such decided progress!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Session 12

We had a our 12th class session on March 4th - and I didn't take any pictures...

Ben - a Studebaker guy from church - stopped by to check out the project and entertain us with Studebaker info. We listened to the motor run, fiddled with the carb, and assessed its tune up needs. I'm looking forward to more of Ben's help in the coming weeks.

The students worked on getting the brake lights working, getting the seats back in and cleaning up the interior.

I was just coming down with a fever that put me in bed the rest of the week, so I was happy to have the extra help and let it be more of a social afternoon.

Comment

Really cool to watch this thing come together! Mega-Kudos to you and your apprentices.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I just read the entire thread and it is great. Our last Studebaker when I was a kid was a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire. I think it is great that you did this for the students. In the future, and this is for anyone who wants to involve students in a restoration of a Studebaker, there may be some funds available through the Studebaker National Foundation. We have provided funds for other projects and if it is done through an educational facility--even better.

Great work and kudos to the entire team.
                            Brian Millette

Comment

Where is "school" located? I would love to drive down once the Commander is reliable to check it out!
                              1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                                Where is "school" located? I would love to drive down once the Commander is reliable to check it out!
                                Class is in West Seattle. I'll PM you info.

Comment

Working...
                                X