1963 Lark Wagonaire auto shop project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep up the good work!!!
    today's "yout's" need more opportunities like this and folks like you!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Session 7

We only had two students for session 7 this past Sunday. It's the start of their winter break, so I knew it might be hard to get everyone there.

After getting the sway bar installed to finally finish off the front suspension, we spent the bulk of the class working on patching the floor.

There's not as much to do to this car as there was to our Ford last year, so I'm letting the students spend more time on individual tasks so that they really own the solution.

Ian and Ransom spent some time cutting the big patch panel for the driver side floor and then Ian got to work removing the old metal on the driver side while Ransom welded in the patch he made in the previous class for the passenger floor.

My original plan was to finish up this patching on a Friday night so the students can start on something else in the next class, but now I feel like they should all get to weld and grind on the floor.

While the students were doing the hard stuff, I worked on toning down the engine colors.
      Last edited by olivepick; 12-23-2011, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Session 8

This last session we worked on the rear end, continued on the floors and put the engine back together.

Over the Christmas break I put some time into the engine compartment.

Then during class, Ian and Dave got it put back together.

I got new U-bolts over break from Gitt spings in Auburn (they make them while you wait). Kris worked on getting the lowering blocks in as well as the new shocks.

We spent some more time welding on the floor and getting the driver side cut out and ready to patch.

I'm anxious to get this thing down on the wheels and driving around the block, but first we have to make the wheels look good. I got them unmounted the day before class and we got one sandblasted and painted. I found a light green that approximates the interior color.

Comment

Looking good! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great progress on the wagon! I like the color on the wheels. What are your plans for it after you finish?

Comment

Project looks great ! and a wonderful thing for the young guys ! Keep it up ! RobK
              Last edited by Rob Kendall; 01-20-2012, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Do you need some hub caps?

Comment

Thanks for posting the progress of your wagon! I am finishing up a '64 Daytona, it sure looks like it goes a lot faster with many hands pitching in! Have you contacted any Seattle Chapter members yet? There are some veteran experts in West Seattle. (I'm in Yakima, but went to Holy Rosary in West Seattle.)

Comment

You have mentioned that you're cutting the front springs to lower the wagon. You will likewise have to use a thinner-profile tyre to keep things from rubbing and grinding on sharp turns. These cars don't have a lot of clearance in the wheelwells anyway. Lowering them has mixed results. I've had several '63s and '64s. They're nice, comfortable cars to drive. The '63 seems to be more so, for some reason.

The project looks great so far. All the best.

Hey Tony, here's another one to take back down-under with the one you have here at George's place.
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Dan,

It's a great thing you are doing! I commend you on what will be remembered and useful the rest of their lives.
                      The reason I got so interested in cars, were the vehicles I needed for transportation kept breaking down and I couldn't afford to pay for all the repairs in college.
                      Having a mentor and giving them self confidence, a sense of accomplishment, pride in what they are doing and so many other lessons in life. Those are tools making the foundation for their future.

When you finish the car, please contact me, so we can provide a celebration party with a journey to Bellingham in their time machine.
                      Our Studebaker Diner & Museum would be happy provide lot's of food and fun for their appetite, as well as plenty of vehicles to see.
                      We (along with the local Studebaker Club) would enjoy meeting them and seeing the car, just as much.
                      Many thanks for what you are doing and what it allows them to do (now and their future)!

Thanks,

James Bell
                      Attached Files
                      Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                      Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando66 View Post
                        Great progress on the wagon! I like the color on the wheels. What are your plans for it after you finish?
                        We'll take it to a car show in June, then sell it to fund next year's project.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                          You have mentioned that you're cutting the front springs to lower the wagon. You will likewise have to use a thinner-profile tyre to keep things from rubbing and grinding on sharp turns. These cars don't have a lot of clearance in the wheelwells anyway. Lowering them has mixed results. I've had several '63s and '64s. They're nice, comfortable cars to drive. The '63 seems to be more so, for some reason.

The project looks great so far. All the best.

Hey Tony, here's another one to take back down-under with the one you have here at George's place.
                          Thanks for the advice. I have an extra set of springs in case the lowering job doesn't turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut View Post
                            Dan,

It's a great thing you are doing! I commend you on what will be remembered and useful the rest of their lives.
                            The reason I got so interested in cars, were the vehicles I needed for transportation kept breaking down and I couldn't afford to pay for all the repairs in college.
                            Having a mentor and giving them self confidence, a sense of accomplishment, pride in what they are doing and so many other lessons in life. Those are tools making the foundation for their future.

When you finish the car, please contact me, so we can provide a celebration party with a journey to Bellingham in their time machine.
                            Our Studebaker Diner & Museum would be happy provide lot's of food and fun for their appetite, as well as plenty of vehicles to see.
                            We (along with the local Studebaker Club) would enjoy meeting them and seeing the car, just as much.
                            Many thanks for what you are doing and what it allows them to do (now and their future)!

Thanks,

James Bell
                            Thanks for the invite, James. Things always get a little crazy in June with the end of school, but I'd like to get something together. I'll PM you my contact info.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                              Do you need some hub caps?
                              I have a set of full size hub caps, but I'm really more a fan of the smaller hub caps. I'm not sure what all was available on the '63.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
                                Thanks for posting the progress of your wagon! I am finishing up a '64 Daytona, it sure looks like it goes a lot faster with many hands pitching in! Have you contacted any Seattle Chapter members yet? There are some veteran experts in West Seattle. (I'm in Yakima, but went to Holy Rosary in West Seattle.)
                                My own projects go much, much slower than this - but when you have a goal to get the car "done" in a school year, you have to keep it moving along.

I have connected with a local Studebaker guy on the board here who happens to go to my church, but I haven't contacted the Seattle Chapter.

Comment

Working...
                                X