No announcement yet.

1963 Lark Wagonaire auto shop project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you will find it a tad difficult to re-install that control arm from that direction...You should attach the bottom arm 1st, then with the spring installed....jack up the bottom of the king pin to align the top control arm.....You are working without a shop manual.......need some torque specs too ??

Comment

I was lucky to take auto shop in high school, not that I wanted to be an auto mechanic but because I did not know anything about cars.

I love what these guys are doing, giving kids an opportunity to create something tangable with their hands.

Jeff T.
      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
      The Replacements.

Comment

Went back to my 50th high school reunion this summer and took a tour of the high school. The Principle was very proud that the industrial arts area had been turned into a huge pottery factory/classroom/lab. I just got an evil stare when I asked how the post graduation employment program for pottery engineers was going.

Comment

Originally posted by ozarkman View Post
          The king pins intimidate me. I have all the pieces, got them in April or May...I just haven't had the (insert colorful word here) to do it!
          Yeah, I'm used to ball joints and spindles, so the king pins were new to me. If it were my own car, I probably would have procrastinated about it - but we don't have that luxury in class

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
            I think you will find it a tad difficult to re-install that control arm from that direction...You should attach the bottom arm 1st, then with the spring installed....jack up the bottom of the king pin to align the top control arm.....You are working without a shop manual.......need some torque specs too ??
            We have a real good manual - that we usually look at...

After you posted this, I went back and look at the instructions and realized that we were doing it in the wrong order. But the bolts on the upper inner shaft are very hard to get at, so we left the tops on and assembled it from there without too much trouble.

Comment

Session 5

It was a cold one here in Seattle yesterday. But we got a fire going in the stove and got to work - after some coffee and donuts...

The primary objective for the day was to finish up the front suspension. I love this shot of everyone under the car - there's actually another set of legs sticking out the driver's side that I couldn't get in the picture.

We had all four students this week, so lots of hands to keep busy. Kris and Ian put in some time removing the seats and grinding on the floor to get ready for patching and painting.

Comment

Lookin good. I like the updates. Its good seeing youth at work such a cool project. Thanks for posting.

Gordon S

Comment

This is great, those kids are learning skills and getting memories they will have for the rest of their lives.

What kind of stupidity gets rid of a shop class where people could learn skills that could get them jobs and replace it with a pottery room?!?
                  Jeff DeWitt
                  http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

SLHS and the 63 Lark Wagon

Hello:
                    I am a SLHS supporter, have two kids that went to the school, and spoke to you last summer. You asked me if I was interested in helping you folks out on a project. Little did I know you were working on a Studebaker. I have 14 Studes from 1950 to 1962, and 4 + garages full of parts right here is West Seattle. Just spoke to Rachel at the High School and left Jeff N a message too. I would like to talk to you at your first convenience. I probably have parts you could use let alone over 40 year of experience working on Studebakers. I had a former Seattle City Light 63 wagon that I drove all through the seventies. I currently have a 62 wagon, and lots of other models, starting with a 50 Champ Starlite.

Hope to talk to you soon. Asked Rachel and Jeff to get your number to me.

Comment

This is great. I really appreciate what you are doing for the young folks.
                      In southern California {like most places} schools are so bad that many parents in our local congregations are putting their kids into home school programs. Some with success, some not so much. But there is definately a short fall in shop/gym/arts/...classes.
                      I talked to one of the local home school programs that some young buddies of mine attended to see if there was a way of getting them some shop credits if we built something together. They said nope. They have no way of supervising, grading, or running the program and I am not a certified/credentialed teacher.

We built the 15 year old guys 1967 VW beetle anyway. By the time he got his license it had a new motor, brakes, some interior parts, electrical repairs, and some dents removed and a cool semi-flat charcoal gray metalic paint job. No class credits, but he and his cousin got a good start on mechanical principles and fundamentals. We had alot of fun.

Comment

Session 6

In our sixth class, the students got the front brakes adjusted and the drums back on, started working on the patches for the floor and got the engine compartment stripped and cleaned.

Ransom worked on getting a patch panel cut and shaped for the passenger side. Not much rust there, so we're just replacing a little of the floor.

The driver side is a different story... Zack started marking out where he thinks we need to cut the patch panel.

The engine compartment was filthy, so we stripped it down to clean it.

The color combo on the engine isn't working for me. I think someone said the yellow valve covers are correct, but I don't think the blue and red are - are they?

I'd like to put a stock air cleaner on this. Anyone have one they want to let us have cheap?

Comment

Keep up the great work. Nice to see some fellow young guys working on a Stude. And a wagon at that!

The yellow is correct, but everything else should be black.

Comment

Wow! It's really coming along!

2bbl. air cleaners are pretty easy to come by. I don't have one myself, but I'm sure someone does!

Keep up the great work.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              everything else should be black.
                              ...except for the oil breathers. Chevy orange is correct for those.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                                ...except for the oil breathers. Chevy orange is correct for those.
                                And the fan.
                                sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                                1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                                1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                                1963 8E28 GSA order
                                1963 8E5 SOLD!
                                1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Working...
                                X