No announcement yet.

1963 Lark Wagonaire auto shop project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, my first question for the experts.

One of the things I got in the pile of parts is the front suspension off a '64 Wagonaire with disk brakes.

I don't feel like upgrading to disks, and I've heard that aftermarket kits are better than the stock '64 anyway.

Are these worth anything? Should I just scrap them?

Comment

Anything but scrap. the upper & lower arms are good on any Stude from 51 on to the end. The calipers are the same used on early XKE Jags while the caliper bridge & spindle are unique to disc brake Studes (although the spindles look the same, there is a minor I believe machining difference).
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

eBay items or list the disc brake stuff on www.studebakerswap.com They will find a good home and be used for years to come. I appreciate ehat you are doing for the kids. Wish it was even available for adults, as we can all learn.

Mark

Comment

Didnt you just do a late 50's wagon last year? I believe I saw it over on the HAMB....
          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

More Session 2 pics

Here's the results of our sand blasting and painting.

Box of goodies to use in our next class to put it all back together.

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
              Didnt you just do a late 50's wagon last year? I believe I saw it over on the HAMB....
              Yep. We worked on a 1958 Ford wagon the last two years. (you can see I have a thing for station wagons)
              http://tinyurl.com/SLHS2009CarProject
              http://tinyurl.com/SLHS2010CarProject

I am Olivepick on the HAMB, stationwagonforum, and here.

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by olivepick View Post
                Yep. We worked on a 1958 Ford wagon the last two years. (you can see I have a thing for station wagons)

-Dan
                Right on. I thought that was a bitchin ride when I first saw pictures of it. Look forward to seeing the finished product on this one!
                1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Here's the results of our sand blasting and painting.

Box of goodies to use in our next class to put it all back together.
                  Looks really nice. Huge difference.

Mark

Comment

My tip from another newbie...Keep the digital camera in your pocket and take hundreds of pictures to resolve that inevitable question.... does the wire go here or here.... is the clip on the inside or out. Take many close up's from many angles.

Comment

-Dan
                      After that Ford Wagon, The stude should be a slam dunk !!! Good luck... Went back for my 50th High School reunion and the Principal was bragging that they had converted the shop area into a huge pottery class room..... I asked him if he thought that would improve the student's employability. He was thoroughly un-plussed by my question as I was with his decision.

Comment

I thought I had posted already, but what a great thing you're doing! I've always thought I'd like to do just that someday- both kids AND adults!

Bravo!
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

This is great! Glad to see that a form of auto shop still exists, and you couldn't have got a better car!
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Session 4

For our last class session we went on a field trip to a local private car collection and got to drool over a selection of awesome cars (and sit in a new Ford GT!). So that's why no updates for awhile.

This week we were back to work on the front suspension.

Ransom got both the front wheel cylinders rebuilt and the front brakes put back together.

Ian and Shahbaz got the front bushings pressed in the kingpins assembled and the front suspension assemblies together.

We ran out of time before we got the suspension back on the car, but we did get the top shafts bolted to the frame.

Comment

The king pins intimidate me. I have all the pieces, got them in April or May...I just haven't had the (insert colorful word here) to do it!

Comment

Here in New York State the powers that be are killing what is left of any shop classes. I guess everyone is being prepped to run for Congress!!!
                                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X