Underhood Avanti photo needed, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underhood Avanti photo needed, please

Would someone please post an appropriate Avanti underhood photo to answer this question? It came over the transom today from a Co-Operator reader.

I would like to supply him with a link to this forum topic so he could see what he'd like to see.

His question:

Hi, Bob. Would you direct me to where I may find a photo of the power steering hose location between the voltage regulator and fastened to the inner fender on a 1963 Avanti?

THANKS. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Pretty sure I have a photo of that on my power steering hose thread.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom: Where might that be?

I just keyed in power steering and looked through the first 300 results for any thread you had started...and found none.

How would I conduct a further seach? Thanks. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Would someone please post an appropriate Avanti underhood photo to answer this question? It came over the transom today from a Co-Operator reader.

I would like to supply him with a link to this forum topic so he could see what he'd like to see.

His question:

Hi, Bob. Would you direct me to where I may find a photo of the power steering hose location between the voltage regulator and fastened to the inner fender on a 1963 Avanti?

THANKS. BP
        Bob,

If more are needed let me know.

Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Thanks so much, Bob.

The original "inquirer," "Richard," (no last name, just an e-mail addy) said he saw your photo on the forum and it was just right. 'Also said he posted a thank-you. I don't see a thank-you in this thread, so perhaps he hadn't figured out how to do it.

At any rate, your photo was perfect and exactly what was needed, so thanks. BP

Comment

For Bob Langer and Bob Palma, Thanks for your efforts. Photo is just what I need.

Comment

All of the Avantis that I have dealt with have the hoses clamped to the left apron about midpoint, and then routed back of the regulator, under the terminals and over the starter solenoid. The hoses then wrap around the curved portion of the apron and along the side to the steering pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1670799

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                How would I conduct a further seach? Thanks. BP
                Chose "Advanced Search", under "user name" put "SBCA96" check mark "exact name".
                Under "key words" put "power steering hoses"
                Forum "Technical Talk"

The third link will give you a ton of before pictures, including underneath :

Including this one :

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Here's some more photos of a "neat" installation.

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1670801 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1670802 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1670803 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1670804

No significant re-bending of the hose ends should be needed if you follow this routing.
                  Last edited by WCP; 10-08-2011, 06:00 AM. Reason: spacing

Comment

Again, all; many thanks for "all the above." BP

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                      No significant re-bending of the hose ends should be needed if you follow this routing.
                      I had to completely rebend the end of the hose in order to turn the wheels both ways.
                      I was VERY disappointed with the hose I bought. I routed them same as factory. If it
                      requires a different arrangement, the supplier needs to include changes. Years ago
                      I bought an A/C hose set for my 1995 Impala SS, the hoses were significantly shorter
                      than factory, it looked like there was NO way it would fit. In truth, it fit MUCH better
                      than the original hose set, and moved the burned hose away from the exhaust. This
                      was a running change that GM caught later. I tried different combinations within the
                      original layout with no positive results. A total rebend to match factory worked.

Tom

Comment

Oops! I forgot that these pictures were taken before I replaced the original turn hoses with the later style as currently supplied by SI. As you will note, the one turn hose end is similar to what you created by re-bending. However, later that was changed to the current shape. I'll take some pictures of the current setup and post today.

Comment

Here's the photos that show how the "turn" hose that Tom had to re-bend, passes between the pitman arm and valve body and around the pitman arm ball joint. The hoses laying on the floor are the original "early" turn hoses (R1236) that were replaced.

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1670807 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1670808 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1670809
                          Last edited by WCP; 10-08-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Did everyone take note of my direction using the Advanced Search? Try it.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X