Pair o' 66s in CA on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pair o' 66s in CA on eBay

I know some here follow the 66s specifically. Here's two currently on eBay- both in CA, first one in Riverside, second in Orange:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...item2c5fbec9a9

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...item4cfaa2e3e8
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hey, what's my '56 Clipper hardtop in Shannon Green and Dover White doing out in CA? It was in my garage just yesterday:

(See the car to the left of the '66 Commander in Bob's first link!)

In fairness, the Clipper next to the Commander is probably Dover White over Tahitian Jade, which is a little darker than Shannon Green, and was one of the 1956 factory two-tones available. My car's combination of Dover White over Shannon Green was not available as one of the 1956 factory two-tones; it was originally Tahitian Jade over Shannon Green. That put a darker color along the side inserts and on the roof.

I didn't like that at all, so changed the Tahitian Jade upper and side inserts to Dover White when "restoring" the car in 1993. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 10-06-2011, 08:43 AM. Reason: clarify 1956 Clipper color combinations
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You dont se too many Ramblers for sale in Cali....HeHeHr=er Studebakers I mean

Comment

All joking aside: I'm surprised at the apparently large number of survivor 1966's still out there------------and, not just in California.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I notice the one in Riverside states its on a "non-op" with DMV. If anyone in California is interested in this car e-mail me for a little informational tidbit that they may not be aware of.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Bob P. - I note that you are storing your convertible with the top folded down. Do you think that is a good idea? I thought that the best way was for the top to be up, but unlatched from the header.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Bob P. - I note that you are storing your convertible with the top folded down. Do you think that is a good idea? I thought that the best way was for the top to be up, but unlatched from the header.
              LOL! I'm gonna guess maybe Bob, of all people, knows what he's doing... better than you or me. Probably combined
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Good observation and a valid question, Gary.

The tops on both the 1964 Daytona and 1971 Barracuda are original and torn. The Daytona's is so bad it detracts from the appearance of the car, so it's better to leave it down anyway.

The Barracuda's top hasn't been up for probably 25 years. The last time I had it up, I was pushing around the left "earmuff" to tuck it in when it was almost raised, and accidentally put my hand through it, tearing it, it was so brittle. Ugh.

Bottom line: Neither car has a top worth worrying about.

OTOH, the 1973 Mustang seen in the foreground has its original top (and all five orginal tires!). That top is in beautiful condition....but the car has only 17,862 actual miles on it. I bought it and set it aside as a protected collector car when it was only 3 years old, also in 1976: January. (Barracuda, December. And I got married in July 1976, halfway in the same year between purchasing the Mustang and the Barracuda!)

The Mustang's top hasn't been down in probably 30 years. I keep it clean, dry, out of the sunlight and covered; lightly Armor-All'd. It seems to still be quite supple. BP
                Last edited by BobPalma; 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM.
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Orange, Ca. car looks to have been hit on passenger side front corner. Clever phototography kinda keeps ya from seeing that.

Comment

'Not sure about any existing damage on the RF, Kim; the last photo of the RF wheel seems close enough that the fender is reasonably straight.

However, didn't the previous owner spend so much money on duct tape for the "upholstery" that they could have all but had the front seat reupholstered for the same money? Sheesh. <GGG> BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

The appearance of the front damage is an optical illusion. It comes from taking the picture while standing too close to the car. The lens distorts the image causing the front corner of the car to appear closer. Correct that by standing farther away and zooming in for the picture. Old photo trick.
                      sals54

Comment

I think someone got a steal on the Orange County car. $383....WOW that is cheap, there are part on it worth alot more than that. disc brakes, factory AC, probably a great rear end. I missed the deadline, I thought it was 7pm......I missed out. I hope someone on here got the car and is going to try and fix it, at least as a daily driver. If not I am very interested in the under dash AC unit.

Mark

Comment

I've never seen a '66 Daytona or Cruiser with the red vinyl upholstery. I can almost see behind the tape to how nice it would have looked when new.
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                            I think someone got a steal on the Orange County car. $383....WOW that is cheap, there are part on it worth alot more than that. disc brakes, factory AC, probably a great rear end. I missed the deadline, I thought it was 7pm......I missed out. I hope someone on here got the car and is going to try and fix it, at least as a daily driver. If not I am very interested in the under dash AC unit.

Mark
                            That car woulda been a great donor for someone like me with a 2 door 6 cyl car.
                            Travis..

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                              LOL! I'm gonna guess maybe Bob, of all people, knows what he's doing... better than you or me. Probably combined
                              10/20/11 "OCW" has an article on storage. Direct quote: "Keep convertible tops up to prevent wrinkling and shrinkage. Some convertible owners suggest leaving the top unlatched to prevent it from becoming too stretched and dry rotting." It was nice to see this article agreeing with my practice and recommendation.

In post number 8 Bob P. did not disagree with me and did give a lengthy explanation of the reasons for the position of the tops on his stored cars.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X