Production Order Discrepencies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
    The Production Order for my car (1962 GT Hawk in production during the strike) showed the destination of Rochester, NY x'ed out and replaced with "South Bend". The shipped via originally said NJ NYC BOSTON NU CAR but now says "Lot 35". According to a copy of the MSO, the first retail sale was from Snuffy Smith Motor Company in DAllas TX.
    'Sounds like the dealer simply cancelled the order, Peter. Perhaps the strike delayed the manufacture and his customer backed out of the deal, if he had it sold. 'Lots of possibilities; none of them good! <GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

WOW! The 4th to last went ? to P'burg ,NJ. That had to be WM. A. Henderson .My Uncle Al & Bill used to trade cars into the 80's! Cool info. Who has these production orders?
      Rob

Comment

Having looked at the production orders for all 4,643 Studebaker Avantis, I can say that the destination of cars was often changed. Sometimes there was handwriting on the POs, showing what happened. Other times, dealer swaps or last-minute factory changes happened and the PO doesn't show it.

When I did the research for the museum Avanti monograph, I kept track of how many Avantis went to each state. But there were so many destination changes that we decided to leave that out of the monograph because the results were not as accurate as we would have liked.

George
        george krem

Comment

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
          Having looked at the production orders for all 4,643 Studebaker Avantis, I can say that the destination of cars was often changed. Sometimes there was handwriting on the POs, showing what happened. Other times, dealer swaps or last-minute factory changes happened and the PO doesn't show it.

When I did the research for the museum Avanti monograph, I kept track of how many Avantis went to each state. But there were so many destination changes that we decided to leave that out of the monograph because the results were not as accurate as we would have liked.

George
          My experience so far has been that the "Drive Away Shipper" forms, as well as the retail sales cards, are the best indication of where the car ended up. Of course, the "Drive Away Shipper" forms are on-hand at the SNM only for '61-64 model year, and the retail sales cards are available only from '60-66 (a second, more-detailed retail sales card is available from Sept. '63 and later). Retail sales cards for '63's are a bit spotty.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
          X