1956 Packard 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Packard 400

Does someone out htere on the Forum truly have a passion to have one of these?
    I can see that this beautiful model would be very collectable or desireable to someone!
    Well I found one. It is a one owner with 79,000 original miles, all original. They had decided to paint the car 28 years ago for there daughters wedding, but the car was primered and then the guy doing the work dropped out of the picture.
    Car has been sittng in a locked up garage for the past 28 years. Needs tires.
    Please PM me if you are the one that is interested???? Love to see it go to a new home where it will be driven and ejoyed as it should be.
    Good Roads
    Brian
    PS I would buy it in a minute but the wife says 30 + cars are already enough!
    God I Love Cars!!!!
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

I would jump at it too myself but the $$$ picture right now doesnt allow it.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Picturs, Whats the condition?
      Klif
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

A Packard 400 is a very nice car, but a price less (priceless) car that needs tires and a paint job and is in another country takes it off the radar for me.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Easier than you think to move cars Country to Country.
          Widow is asking $10,000.. for this car and it would be worth every penny of it in a better economy. We all know how soft the Car Market is right now!
          I would jump without looking at $5,000 but I think is going to take at least $7500.00.
          Nice car.....easy restoration but still needs restoration!
          Have some pictures from the unlit garage, but have not down loaded them yet. (must do this on my other computer in the shop)
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Body style? Standard or automatic? Bells and whistles?

On a car of that nature, the little things mean a lot.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
              Easier than you think to move cars Country to Country.
              Widow is asking $10,000.. for this car and it would be worth every penny of it in a better economy. We all know how soft the Car Market is right now!
              I would jump without looking at $5,000 but I think is going to take at least $7500.00.
              Nice car.....easy restoration but still needs restoration!
              Have some pictures from the unlit garage, but have not down loaded them yet. (must do this on my other computer in the shop)
              Good Roads
              Brian
              I don't know how you know what I "think" about moving cars from Canada to the USA, but I do know what I have personally experienced in trying to do this and it wasn't pleasant and I have had hundreds of cars transported within the USA.
              To me, it sounds like I would be putting at least $10K into an at least $7500 car to make it a $15K car.
              I hope that someone else can make it work for them. They probably could if they were close to the car and did their own paint work.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

1956 Packard 400

Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc 2011 051.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1670769Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc 2011 052.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1670768PicturesClick image for larger version

Name:	Misc 2011 048.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1670767
                Good roads
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Aha! A 2-door hardtop, with manual crank windows. I guess it has an Ultramatic, eh? Couldn't see the shift quadrant. Or did Ultramatics all have push-button shift? Looks like it has Packard dash pad disease, too.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

A '56 Packard Four Hundred is my favorite pre-'57 Packard. I like them better than the same year Caribbean. Make mine white over Scottish Heather, please!
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                      Does someone out htere on the Forum truly have a passion to have one of these?
                      Maybe, but not as much as these guys/gals do~

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/

Their Forum is on the left side of the page.
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

It's not a Four-Hundred, and I've posted this link before, but I think it's so unusual for a clean color photo of a Studebaker-Packard dealer in 1956 to survive, I post it here again. As has been seen many times in the my signature line, it's the Carl E. Filer Co., but in glorious color...and the car is '56 Caribbean no. 1258 (18 from the last) which was sold to Dr. A. L. Bailey of Greenville, PA.

This website is a free public information store about the vehicles manufactured by the Packard Motor Car Company (PMCC). This include information of the following keywords: packard, car, vin, decoder, ultramatic, clipper, patrican, caribbean, hardtop, convertible, pac, pmc, pi, panther, daytona, thunderbolt, 288, 327, 356, straight 8, l8, v12, senior, junior, Henley, stb, sc, service, technical, bulletin, counselor, manual, 120, 110, 160, 180, 110c, 110b, super, super8, eight, 1956, 1955,1954, 1953, 1952, 1950, 1949, 1948, 1947, 1946, 1942, 1941, 1940, 1939, 1938, 1937, 1936, 1935, 1934, 1933, 1932, 1931, 1930, 1929, 1928, 1927, 1926, 1925, 1924, 1923, 1922, 1921, 1920, 1919, 1918, 1917, 1916, 1915, 1914, 1913, 1912, 1911, 1910, 1909, 1908, 1907, 1906, 1905, 1904, 1903, 1902, 1901, 1900, 1899, forum, v8, information, help, parts, info, specs, specifications
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

I have loved the 55-56 Packards all of my life and have a nice original '56 400 which is fully loaded with all bells & whistles. These cars are valuable when done,and solid originals are tough to find, but the interior and chrome alone are going to put you upside down with this one at $10K going in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                            A '56 Packard Four Hundred is my favorite pre-'57 Packard. I like them better than the same year Caribbean. Make mine white over Scottish Heather, please!
                            The owner told me this car was white over a darker white.......what color is scottish heather??
                            And no it is not a push button auto...it has a column shift.
                            And yeas the das was a little slack to say the least. I thought it had been recovered but the owner got quite indignant when I said so, and exclaimed that nothing had ever been replaced on this car. Completely original! She was even mad that her husband had decided to have the car repainted 28 years ago. As she said it didn't need it!!
                            Brian
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Scottish heather

Scottish heather is a very nice dark pinkish lavender color which looks way cool on mid-50's cars. I have considered doing mine in that color since mine is the original black, and while black looks elegant on a large car with a ton of chrome, a flashier 50's two tone or 3 tone with brighter colors would give it a better look. The engine needs to come out anyway since the PO painted it an awful orange when it was overhauled, so a color change is no big deal..

Comment

Working...
                              X